Fell flat on face yesturday

charlottegrace1

Gold Member
Great week, couldn't be better, stuck to plan, didn't snack between meals as I just didn't want anything, life was going great. Then yesterday, my mum was taken back into hospital. Nothing serious thank heavens, but oh dear, did the devil have his way with me or what. I was like a commando raiding the kitchen for food. Now I wasn't hungry, only had tea an hour before, but I was on the rampage for anything sweet and naughty. Had ice cream, cheese, biscuits, quavers and a sandwich. Now today I have picked myself up and am back in the driving seat again and NOT beating myself up over this as its not healthy to do so, but isn't it scary how easily we fall from grace and then wail about it as if its not our fault it happened. So getting to my point of post, for those of you who go to a class, how does your consultant deal with slip ups. Do they just say oh well never mind move on and put it behind you etc, or do any of them try to suggest ways which you can try to address issues which drive you to food for future crisis, and if so, what type of thing do they suggest. The reason I ask is, I find dieting not too difficult, stick to the rules and hey ho, weight loss. But, its the lows in life that throw me straight into the fridge, and that is not a healthy relationship with food by any ones standards, and this is what I need to deal with. So for anyone out there who is not an emotional eater, how do you deal with lifes crisis-es, and if you are an emotional eater, any tips?
As for the damage I did, as I have had a brilliant week syn wise, I don't think it will make to much impact as I am still under my syns for the week, so I am not going to try and pull anything back as its too much pressure on me, and I don't need to cos I'm still under syns. That actually sounds as if I am being nice to myself for once doesn't it lol.
Anyway, look forward to reading replies about consultants words of wisdom. Thank you. xx

I think you managed yourself really well,the slip up happened and you put it behind you. SW does an SOS log so you can see where you might sabbotage your success. Once aware of the triggers you find ways of avoiding them or dealing with them differently. Have a plan of action as to what will you do if the situation arises again. it's great that you are not beating yourself up but now look to find other stress busters xx

I used to be a big emotional eater, but have to admit since i swapped to SW i havent done it half as much-note i'm not saying never!! I cant actually tell you what's changed but my theory is that i can eat so much more on sw than i did on ww that i feel the need to snack less in general so its not the 1st thing that springs to mind in a crisis,thats only my own theory tho!!

I'm an emotional/stress starver. It's when I'm happy I tend to eat too much or the wrong foods so I'm very surprised that I decided to give SW a try when I was the happiest I've been in a while.

How about finding something to take your mind off it all, such as a book, film or hobby. Or even go for a walk to clear your head?

Hope your mums on the mend soon

I love how you've dealt with your emotional cupboard-raid! And I also think you're right, and that having been great with syns the rest of the week, you should be okay come WI.

I wouldn't say I'm an emotional eater. I eat through boredom...and greed, tiredness (laziness!) and lack of willpower! But if I'm really upset, I rarely turn to chocolate, crisps, pizza etc. I could go really deep into it and say that there must be some emotional things underlying my eating and whatnot, but I'm not very good at over-analysing in that way...not very comfortable with it! LOL!

So, how do I deal with lows and tough times? Probably not in a healthy way either, but I don't turn to food. I often worry and don't eat. Sometimes I shop! I run or do an exercise class, I thrash the hell out of the sofa cushions or throw myself into anything that distracts me from brooding on the upsetting issue at hand.

I used to be a real bottler. I went through a huge emotional crisis a few years ago and learnt a lot of lessons. One of the key ones was NOT to bottle and to talk about what was happening and how I was feeling, regardless of how silly I felt doing so. And boy I used to feel silly. Stupid. And that got me into a most awful situation!

Er...this has totally turned into something not food-related hasn't it! Sorry.

I am by no means an angel when it comes to food, but I don't eat it because I'm upset or stressed or anxious. When I do want to eat something I shouldn't, I stop for a second and think to myself...do I really want this *insert item here* and the moment of brief pleasure it will give me, and then the guilt that follows? Or, do I want to not eat it and be chuffed with myself for having a bit of willpower and am one bite closer to my target?

Best wishes for your mum's health - and I really hope you find a way to handle/conquer your emotional eating x

Well done for still keeping within your syn limit, so as others have said, I am sure you will do fine at WI.
I am not an emotional eater. I am completely the opposite. If stressed, worried or sad I can't eat a thing. My stomach ties into a great knot and my appetite vanishes.
I think our consultant offers the SOS log to anyone who can't understand where or why they are going wrong. Other than that I don't think she offers advice apart from drawing a line and starting afresh.
I hope your mum feels better soon xxx

How about creating a crisis box? It won't stop you reaching for 'something' when things go wrong, but it might help to limit any damage you might do to your diet.

Find a box and put in it some chocolate, a list of hex b's, a 'voucher' for a Muller, a 'voucher' for some fruit, a little note to yourself about how well you have done so far, a note that tells you that things will be better, a picture of a happy time/place, a CD with some of your favourite songs, a plan of action - what you intend to do, how you intend to resolve your problems, how to get what you want. A list of other low syn or syn free snacks and treats. A note that says IF you must, you can have an extra XXX number of syns (flexi-syn your bad day, BUT DECIDE AHEAD OF TIME how many extras you will have. If you don't, and wait till the day, flexi-syn will become only syns day!!)

Remember the SW guidelines - Plan for everything - even the bad days!!

Sorry about your news, but I hope that this might help for the future.

Fortunately, I don't overeat when I'm stressed, instead I go on a house cleaning mission! My metabolism seems to go into overdrive, can't sleep, can't sit still and tend to clean out cupboards, etc. Also, my appetite seems to disappear as well.

At least you've done the right thing and got right back on track.

How about creating a crisis box? It won't stop you reaching for 'something' when things go wrong, but it might help to limit any damage you might do to your diet.

Find a box and put in it some chocolate, a list of hex b's, a 'voucher' for a Muller, a 'voucher' for some fruit, a little note to yourself about how well you have done so far, a note that tells you that things will be better, a picture of a happy time/place, a CD with some of your favourite songs, a plan of action - what you intend to do, how you intend to resolve your problems, how to get what you want. A list of other low syn or syn free snacks and treats. A note that says IF you must, you can have an extra XXX number of syns (flexi-syn your bad day, BUT DECIDE AHEAD OF TIME how many extras you will have. If you don't, and wait till the day, flexi-syn will become only syns day!!)

Remember the SW guidelines - Plan for everything - even the bad days!!

Sorry about your news, but I hope that this might help for the future.

I really like this idea, so I am putting a little box together with some chocolate, quavers, mug shots, and a little cake (with a sell by date thats forever on it lol) to a total of 20syns, and am keeping it in the cupboard for a stress commando raid. I think this may work for me, at the very least it will stop me from just opening fridge/cupboard and eating anything and everything. By the time I have munched my way through my stress box, hopefully the moment will have passed and it will, at the very least be damage limitation. Thank you guys for the sugestions and advice. I wish I was one of these people who went off food during a crisis, oh heaven lol.

Its so hard when a crisis comes to be logical and go and do something else, I can do this when lifes ticking along nicely but when that moment stikes I'm afraid all sence of logic and reason are pushed to the back of my mind, and the devil takes over, but crisis box could well save the day.

First of all - what a fab post, as usual!

Second of all - I am sorry to hear your Mum is back in hospital. You've not had it easy lately have you hun? Hugs.

Thirdly - your attitude is amazing and bang on! You're right about it all sweetie and your outlook is healthy and practical.

Regarding group, well, my C is lovely. She's about 23 but wiser than her years. She seems to know us all well and seems to be able to sense when we need to talk, want to talk or not. Like, if someone comes in and had gained, she will be supportive by either asking them to talk it over and give advice, or by giving them some support but not dwelling on it there and then. But she ALWAYS takes you to one side the week later and asks how things are.

When I was having my bad patch of late, she knew I'd been at the docs a lot (I had to skip group talk twice after WI which isn't like me so she asked what was up). She always asked me if I felt well or was anything she could do to help with SW plan etc. Last week when I lost and was looking (clearly) better (as everyone said so lol) she then talked about it openly. She didn't go into too much detail but said how she knew it had been rough and how it'd been hard SW wise for me and asked how I felt and if there was anything that could help.

In short, she's pretty spot on. I have a feeling if you suddenly stopped going she'd ring and ask why to offer her support that way rather than just let you fall off radar.

xxx

I really admire that you've gone straight back on the wagon so to speak! I have only recently learned that even if I have an off day I can just draw a line under it and restart my diet. what's really helped me are SW "flexible syns" basically means if you know you have an event where you will be eating or drinking more, plan in advance - decide how many syns you'll need and try to stick to it. Even though i consumed 60 syns on saturday night I still felt an element of control because I had planned it and i was straight back on it yesterday whereas before working with this approach I would have got up yday morning and drove straight to mcd's and prob a chinese for dinner lol

i know this may not help with your emotional eating directly but you've already made a really good start by getting back on diet today.

Back