Fibre

I've bought some physillium husks but just wondering what other ideas u all have to get more fibre into ur diet. I'm used having movements at least once a day of not more so all ideas would be most welcome. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I've bought some physillium husks but just wondering what other ideas u all have to get more fibre into ur diet. I'm used having movements at least once a day of not more so all ideas would be most welcome. Thanks

If you're eating the recommended daily 12-15g of net carbs in foundation vegetables (more if you're in Phase 2 or beyond), then you should be getting a fair bit of fibre from those. Also, dark green leafy vegetables are important providers of magnesium, and magnesium is essential in keeping your intestines working well (amongst other things).

I think one of the most crucial things is to drink enough water - if you get dehydrated you will almost certainly become constipated.

If you ate your full 15g of carbs using the most high in fibre vegetable on the allowed food list which is broccoli at 2.6g of fibre and 1.8g carbs per 100g you would need to eat over 800g of broccoli in one day in order to get your recommended daily allowance of fibre which is 24g per day. Clearly no one in their right mind would eat this much broccoli or even more of other vegetables and salad so I think it is very necessary to add some additional fibre substitutes to your diet in order to maintain a healthy bowel movement.

Absolutely agree, next to impossible to get 24 grams of fibre from low carb veg, but it is debatable as to whether we actually require that much fibre in the first place. I know that's what conventional wisdom says - but lets not forget that conventional wisdom doesn't really approve of Atkins.

I've found water intake to be the critical factor with this particular problem.

Back