Finding it really hard to stick to the diet :( hungry all the time

8889jenny

Hi everyone
I started slimming world two weeks ago and I quit because I was hungry all the time doing extra easy, I quit smoking and since then I have gained two stone and even whilst not being on a diet I just feel constantly hungry, I quit smoking 9 months ago and whilst I don't want to go back to smoking I also don't want to carry on being over 12 stone, I felt really down looking at holiday pics the other night, all my clothes just look horrible and I'm going on holiday in April for a wedding, do you think I would be able to lose two stone in that time? I also have pcos which probably doesn't help and I think the smoking supressed my appetite before that's how I stayed slim :( I just constantly crave chocolate and carbs all the time :( But want to do extra easy as it's simpler than following red or green as I work two jobs, please help xx

are you sure it is hunger, craving something when you have stopped smoking can be confused with hunger?

You can do anything if you set your mind to it!!

Count it in weeks and divide your ideal weight loss by it to give you and average what you would like to lose a week.

I never go hungry its all about finding things to eat or that keep you full x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I would make sure you plan well and have lots of foods ready to snack on. Pasta salads, SW quiche, fruit etc are foods that you can grab and eat. The great thing about SW is that you aren't limited to portion sizes you can eat till you're staisfied. Just make yourself small goals and I am sure if you put the effort in you will see the numbers on the scales come down x

I understand completely about the smoking and appetite thing. I quit seven years ago and my appetite has been insatiable since then

What I can't understand is that you quit extra easy because you were hungry. You crave carbs and choc all the time. EE allows you to eat carbs till you feel satisfied, perfect. No plan is going to let you eat lots of chocolate but if you're clever with planning your meals you can have 15 syns a day worth of the stuff if you need it. You could also use your HEXB on two alpen light double choc or choc and fudge bars to get your fix

Are you sure you understood and were following the plan right last time?

Rkmriddell said:
I understand completely about the smoking and appetite thing. I quit seven years ago and my appetite has been insatiable since then

What I can't understand is that you quit extra easy because you were hungry. You crave carbs and choc all the time. EE allows you to eat carbs till you feel satisfied, perfect. No plan is going to let you eat lots of chocolate but if you're clever with planning your meals you can have 15 syns a day worth of the stuff if you need it. You could also use your HEXB on two alpen light double choc or choc and fudge bars to get your fix

Are you sure you understood and were following the plan right last time?

Totally agree with the above this is one plan you should never be hungry on. Planing is the key, plan menus try different recipes and get excited about the food :)

I gave up smoking too :) so well done for that :)

Hi everyone
I agree with your responses, I do understand the plan it's just I don't plan my meals very well, plus since stopping smoking I crave lots of bread and stodgy foods, I normally have no breakfast either which probably doesn't help! But I like to use my heb choice for a sandwich for dinner instead, id have this with fruit and a fat free yougurt and fruit, then something like a stirfry for dinner then a crunchy bar then another yogurt and I was still hungry :( the weight watchers bread is just feeble lol I did buy some mugshots to hopefully fill the gap but I tried them yet I just got worried that if be eating too much to lose anything xx

It takes time to train your body into feeling satisfied by different foods. Eat wholegrain stuff to release energy longer and reduce those carb cravings.

Stick with it, give your body time to get used to different foods

whenever i get 'hunger pains', i drink some water.. if i am still getting the 'pains' 5 mins later i know it really is hunger and not my body mixing it up with thirst.

Just an idea but why not have something like a jacket potato or pasta salad for lunch instead of a sandwich then you could save your healthy extra b for if u crave something like bread? Try eating little and often too that might help.

Malc-D said:
whenever i get 'hunger pains', i drink some water.. if i am still getting the 'pains' 5 mins later i know it really is hunger and not my body mixing it up with thirst.

Yes I recently watched a programme that stated 9 time out of 10 we confuse hunger for dehydration. Maybe you should try that?

Also, i'm a big eater and for the first couple of weeks on SW felt like I constantly had to snack. I swapped choc and crisps for fruit- often the preprepared packs that you pick up in supermarkets, just because it can be easier to transport and takes none of my time.

I also freeze a portion of most of my evening meals, that way it's easy to just pick one out when i'm peckish and microwave.

It takes hard work and planning, but you can do it if you set your mind to it. You managed to stop smoking- apply that detirmination to your diet (I found quitting smoking A LOT harder than losing weight.

How about having the fruit and yogurt for breakfast? I used to eat too much bread but don't touch now on SW, can't b bothered with the crappy ww bread or having 1 slice lol.

Hi everyone
I agree with your responses, I do understand the plan it's just I don't plan my meals very well, plus since stopping smoking I crave lots of bread and stodgy foods, I normally have no breakfast either which probably doesn't help! But I like to use my heb choice for a sandwich for dinner instead, id have this with fruit and a fat free yougurt and fruit, then something like a stirfry for dinner then a crunchy bar then another yogurt and I was still hungry :( the weight watchers bread is just feeble lol I did buy some mugshots to hopefully fill the gap but I tried them yet I just got worried that if be eating too much to lose anything xx

You say you understand the Plan but then you're not following it if you're not having breakfast. The SW weight loss plan works when it's followed, Red, Green or Extra Easy. It's tried and tested over 40 years and it does work!

If you're going to choose to skip meals then of course you're going to be hungry and then snack on things that you really shouldn't. Try to plan ahead...even if it's only for the day after. Breakfast can be a whole host of things, whatever you like whether it be porridge, egg, bacon and tomatoes or yogurt and fruit. It needn't take that much thought to put together.

It's been said already that on SW you eat as much as you want at mealtimes to the point that you feel satisfied. If you do that, make sure you get your Hex A and Hex B and snack on fruit or something like that then trust me you will not feel hungry. If you're making it up as you go along then there's not really much point because you have to change your eating habits from how they were before.

The EE Plan allows you to fill yourself up with carbs and of course chocolate has to be in moderation as Rkmriddell stated. With all due respect I don't think you understand the Plan as much as you say you do. It takes time to get your head around it, what you can and can't have, although there's more you can have than can't.

I think you need to have a look round this forum and see what sort of foods people are having in what quantities and who are losing weight and try to find something that fits in with your lifestyle. That's the best thing about SW...it's soooooo flexible!!!!

The 3 C's of life...Choice, Chance, Change.

You must make the Choice to take the Chance if you want anything to Change!

Good luck on your weight loss journey. :)

Hi everyone

If you want to have bread for lunch and still have a HEXB left over why not try Red or Green?

I completely understand how you're feeling.

I quit smoking in January (New Years Resolution!) and joined SW the same week. I actually find SW helps me focus my smoking energy on to something else and the fact that Extra Easy allows so much food means I never go hungry.

I agree with what everyone else is saying about planning. It's definitely key. I am not very good at planning and like you, can often skip breakfast. I've had to re-train myself to avoid this.

What I find helps is spending one hour on a Sunday doing lunches and breakfast for the week. Invest in some huge tupperware boxes and fill one of them with lots of chopped up fruit so that in the morning you can literally just grab a bowl in a lunch box and go. I normally munch mine at my desk! This means I'm still having breakfast, it's healthy and superfree, and I'm not eating crap because I'm hungry at 11am!

I also find a big pot of soup for lunches is really handy to grab and go too. You need to make sure you mix the flavours up a bit though or it can get quite repetitive.

There are some really good offers at the minute in Tesco, I bought a massive bag of apples for £1 on Saturday and I've ate about half the bag already! Stock up on fruit!

I really hope you find a way that works for you - stick at it! There are so many ideas on this forum, Minimins has literally been my lifesaver.

Best of luck!! x

8889jenny said:
I did buy some mugshots to hopefully fill the gap but I tried them yet I just got worried that if be eating too much to lose anything xx
Hi
I went for my first weigh in last Tuesday and said to my hubby on the way out the door "I've eaten so much food this week, if I've lost weight I'll eat my hat." I had a 3.5 lb loss! Fact is, I ate loads but it was all within the plan. I'm still struggling to get my head around the fact that eating so much can result in weight loss but I have decided to trust the plan and let it happen. Hopefully you'll find a way to fit the plan into your lifestyle.
I agree 100% with the people who have advised about the water. I have read that we can often confuse thirst with hunger.
Good luck! :)

Back