First week weigh in!

1978Emma

Well I started my diet last Saturday and weighed in at 22 stone 5 lbs , my heaviest weight ever! :cry: but today I got on the scales and I have lost 8 lbs in my first week! :D I am so pleased as I have to change things, I am doing a diet of 1500 calories - 1700 on the whole and trying to watch carb intake at the same time.

Emma
:)

Thanks Marie, you started off at a similar weight to me I see and are aiming for a similar goal weight as me so to see how much you have lost is a real inspiration, you are doing so well, Emma x

Thanks Marie, you started off at a similar weight to me I see and are aiming for a similar goal weight as me so to see how much you have lost is a real inspiration, you are doing so well, Emma x

Thanks I read we are both veggies too so we are defiantly in a similar boat :)

we certainly are then, I noticed we had a similar goal weight and start weight but hadn't realised we were both veggies as well, it is a bit of a challenge I find but I am finding Quorn and other meat free products a God send! What diet are you following? Em x

we certainly are then, I noticed we had a similar goal weight and start weight but hadn't realised we were both veggies as well, it is a bit of a challenge I find but I am finding Quorn and other meat free products a God send! What diet are you following? Em x
Low calorie, low fat and exercise. A few years ago I was not as fat as I am now but I was 5 stone overweight and the only way I got to ideal was doing it this way. The reason I put it back on was lots of personal stuff and I had a unhealthy relationship with food. But this time even with personal stuff I am toughing it out.
I know your on low carbs and I am impressed with that. I do take notice of my carb intake but not overly so. As a veggie I have to say I am impressed with you doing that as its defiantly harder to do low carb when your a veggie. I do like quorn myself and some of the lower sugar value fruits as well. And instead of my addictive stir fried food, I have things like roasted veg.
Many diets are not suitable for me as I had thyroid cancer a few years ago and thus had my thyroid removed. To this day they have not got my thyroid levels right so probably doesn't help. But things like Cambridge diet my oncologist outright says no. As I have radiation scans and the weeks leading up to it its very strict what I can eat so any VLCD is no good for me.
That is my ramble over but think this week weigh in might not be amazing I was a bit naughty this week. Are you dieting alone? Or do you attend a slimming club?

Wow, you are a true inspiration Marie. You are living proof that you can lose weight no matter what (without surgery!!), also, you are vegetarian too.

Welcome aboard Emma.
Seeing a weight that bites us on the bum is what we all need to motivate us. 8lbs gone within 1 week is amazing, it's a really good start and goes to show you can do it if you put your mind to it! xx

Hi Marie, your diet sounds very sensible, I am dieting alone in a way as I don't attend a slimming group, I can't stand the thought of someone else doing my weigh in I guess, silly I know! I have to admit though the support on here means I don't feel like I'm alone which really helps. I really think I should call my diet "low ish carb" or "moderate carb" ha ha just because whilst I feel my carb intake in fairly low now in comparison to say what it was like before its not say in the VLCD or Atkins range, for me its more about reducing the carbs which I was addicted to, I was certainly a carb addict, I am not really aiming for ketosis though just watching my carb levels, I am usually on anything from 80 - 100 g of carb which for me is very low but I know many low carb dieters would say was too high but in comparison to what I was on before the diet its tiny!! I am also watching my calories aiming on the whole for 1,500 but it does creep up to 1,700 some days ha ha but I just haven't got what it takes to do the VLCD as I need my food!!

I can relate to the weight gain because of personal stuff and a bad relationship with food, its so hard going I know, I never used to weigh anywhere near this amount and then went through some really traumatic events and that lead to a massive weight gain as I became a mega binge eater, tried to push all those uncomfortable feelings down with food as I am sure you understand all too well. I find that its only now I have worked on what was making me turn to food that I feel ready to get this weight off once and for all, saying that I still have to work on my use of food as I am an emotional eater and not always when its negative emotions I have always used food in good times as well to celebrate things etc, don't we all hey!

I wouldn't worry about the weigh in, we all have slip ups, afterall you have to have a life as well, I have been on track all week but I can't lie I am getting excited about my night out next Wed with my mate and my meal at Bella Italia and that certainly will not be a diet meal ha ha, we all need our treats now and again as otherwise we would give up.

I am so sorry to hear about your thyroid cancer, you have obviously gone through a hell of a tough time and to see how well you are doing well it is inspirational, its been wonderful finding people like yourself on here , you are such a lovely supportive person I can tell, congrats on how much you have lost so far and I am sure we can be buddies on here and support each other on the way to goal. Emma x

thanks pipaluk, you have done so well, your weight loss is amazing, I so agree about seeing the top weight, it was what I needed to face really and it gave me a mega kick up the backside! ha ha I can't lie I was devastated, never did I ever think I would ever see that weight but I had to face the awful truth before I could really start to do something about it, Em x

Emma I am dieting alone too. Partly can not afford a slimming group but also I do not like the idea of someone else doing my weigh in. Like many people who have/had a bad relationship with food I do get depressed and have social anxiety. Nothing like it used to be but thought going to a group terrifies me. But like you I have found amazing support and it has helped me more than I realise. And it is so emotional based our relationship with food. So working through the issues themselves while getting the weight off is hard but you are right its a better way of looking at it. I had a load of lifestyle things happen along with my health with the cancer and PCOS. I basically gave up and I do recall at one point thinking "So what if I eat this I am fat already". Admitting that and breaking the cycle is not easy as I believe its like any other addiction. And you are right its not just negative emotions, I was naughty this week celebrating my best friends birthday.
Wow, you are a true inspiration Marie. You are living proof that you can lose weight no matter what (without surgery!!), also, you are vegetarian too.
Thanks Pipa you made me feel so welcome when I joined and I know many people follow your journey. So you are a inspiration to me :)

Marie, I really understand where you are coming from, for me whilst I really enjoy the group feeling on here, the thought of an almost public weigh in at a slimming group would terrify me. I have done slimming clubs before but because of my eating disorder inc starvation and binges it almost encouraged that behaviour in me as I would worry so much about the weigh in that week that I would starve myself on the run up to it and binge the rest of the week which really was going to limit any true progress. The way I'm doing it now there isn't the pressure as I can weigh in on here if I want to or don't have to if I don't feel up to it, its not as in your face! My sister on the other hand thrives on the slimming club scenario and does so well, I guess its different things suit different people.

I found due to my depression and anxiety that I became very reclusive and its only now I'm forcing myself to get out more that things are getting easier, that said a slimming group is still too scary a thought!

I have tried to lose weight again and again and then almost like you said gave up and didn't see the point in fighting, I think the only thing that has recently shocked me back into action was I was diagnosed with sleep apnea which is really effecting my life for the worse, its been a nightmare plus I have suspected PCOS and my mental health issues on top just seemed to give me the kick up the backside I needed.

I think I had to realise that life is what you make it to a certain extent and at present its been pretty crap and I need to change and the one common factor is my weight issues, it effects my mental health and all the physical health problems are made worse by it so I just had to take action before it becomes too late to do so.

I just hope I can do as well as you are doing, Em xx

Hi,
I am not a veggie or anything so probably should not be commenting but I just had to say congratulations to you for such an amazing first week...8lb is truly amazing!! Congrats :)
@Marie - Congrats to you too for your weight loss and for survuvung cancer and going on to lose weight etc. You are a true inspiration x

Congratulations on your first week Emma! A great start :D

thanks dying to be thin and faery_lights for your lovely supportive comments, now on my second week, feel I am getting into my stride more now, first week was a real emotional roller coaster! Em x

thanks dying to be thin and faery_lights for your lovely supportive comments, now on my second week, feel I am getting into my stride more now, first week was a real emotional roller coaster! Em x

Making a big life change like this always take some getting used to. Remember to roll with the punches and to talk to people or post here if you are having a wobbly moment!

thanks faery_lights, thats so true, I am finding this forum so helpful, its such a supportive environment, everyone wants to see everyone else do well and also seeing how much people have lost really inspires people like myself who still have such a long way to go. I am just viewing it as a day to day thing as if I look at how far I have to go I will want to give up whereas a day at a time seems easier to manage! Em :)

How's your second week going Emma and when do you weigh in? :) x

Hi pipaluk, second weigh in is on Sat, I am slightly nervous as I really don't know what to expect this week as I lost 8 lbs in the first week which is a lot so I am kind of hoping for say 2 lbs this week so fingers crossed! I have tucked the scales away so I only weigh in once a week or otherwise I become a crazed scale hopper ha ha!

This second week has been much better, I feel like I am getting into the swing of things more now, its been very different to anything I have ever done, it feels like a true lifestyle change if I'm honest, I mean tonight I was sat munching on raspberries, I mean if you told me I would be sitting eating fruit a few weeks ago and enjoying it I would have laughed in your face!! Its weird it now seems so natural, I am finding having a decent breakfast, lunch and evening meal and healthy snacks so helpful, it sure beats my old lifestyle of starving myself all day and then having massive binges in the evening.

How are you getting on?

Em x

Good luck for tomorrow hun, looking forward to hearing how you get on. 2lbs is a great 'goal' for this week, a lot of people have a really good loss the first week and then they see a smaller number following and feel disappointed (often they give in!). At least you know what to expect which is great, you definitely have got the right frame of mind! I am glad it's been a lot better for you, once you get into the swing of it it's fine. :) It's all about resisting the temptations, I find once you don't have the taste for something it's easier to ignore it. Bread is a very big weakness of mine, I try not to eat a lot of it because if I get the taste for it then I want it all the time so I have a couple of slices once a week at the most. Snacking on fruit is great, that's coincidental you was snacking on Raspberries because right now I am sat munching on a mix of strawberries and raspberries lol! I really enjoy snacking on fruit :) Do you feel so much better in yourself for eating properly? I always felt really disgusting before all the changes and now I feel like I have a lot more energy in myself. My week hasn't been too bad, it's pretty annoying for me when everyone else in my house is troffing junk/take aways and don't gain any weight! I am really hoping to lose 2.5lbs this week so I get my 4stone award.. it keeps me going. If I see a temptation I think, 4stone or a packet of crisps? The crisps are tempting but the 4stone sticker is slightly more tempting!
Have you got any plans for the weekend? Hope you have a nice one xx

Hi there, well I am in complete shock as I weighed in this morning and I have lost 6 lbs this week! :D that means with the 8 lbs I lost in the first week and 6 lbs in this second week that I have lost 14 lbs (1 stone) in two weeks,:eek: its crazy especially since I have been having plenty to eat, just much healthier stuff! I am on a roll!!

Oh I know what you mean about resisting temptation, I am allowing myself the odd treat but have totally cut out what I call my trigger foods as certain foods just increase the risk of me having a binge. I just can't believe that I can lose this much weight eating, I am losing similar amounts to people on the VLCD yet I am eating plenty, it seems weird but I'm loving it! Oh bread is one of mine, I have gone over to have these mini Italian bread sticks now and again instead not quite the same as fresh bread but it doesn't trigger me to munch through god knows how much! Oh re fruit snacking, who would have thought it could be so tasty and much better than the usual crap I would have been snacking on. I think you are an inspiration to me pipaluk as you are doing a lifestyle change rather than a quick fix and I admire that greatly, its something I am now trying to do myself.

I feel so much better in myself, I have more energy, my skin is much better, my clothes are getting too big already :) and I feel much more on the ball and nowhere near as tired as I used to be.

I am lucky as I live alone so don't have to put up with the temptations you have to after seeing other people eat more junk food, although I find when I go over to my parents I am very aware of that biscuit tin and it like "step away from the tin" ha ha

What you up to this wkend? I am off out today with my nieces but have thought ahead re my food so I do not have to go off track, Em xx

Back