Fish, help please!

Hooked

I am looking to introduce fish to my diet but I need help as I've not touched the stuff in 20odd years. Fish fingers are as skilled as it gets for me :eek: so please be gentle :)

so could you tell me precisely what fish you have as your protein option, where you buy it and how you cook it?

I came home from asda earlier completely bemused. Unwilling to leave empty handed I bought a bag of prawns (what I do with them I have no clue!)

oh and if possible don't make me buy anything that can still look at me (I know they were dead but some still had eyes!)

I too started reintroducing fish after errr 15 years as a vegetarian /raw vegan. I started with fish fingers & salmon and worked my way up

hmm...prawns are a good start, I would go with fresh ones, just have them with your salad, try a little smoked salmon or hot smoked salmon (least you wont have to cook those options) ... I rarely cook fish!! (sure a nigella esque poster will be along to help soon )

xx

I instinctively want to cook it as I am afraid of it having a slimy texture iyswim? Might try the prawns in one of my stir frys, they are pink and frozen so is it right to just defrost them then chuck them into the stir fry to warm through?

do you think I could cook one of the kids fish fingers, de batter it and try the fish? I wouldn't make a habit of it I just want to see if I can actually do this

RebekahR, was there anything in particular that got you started again with fish and did you stop at just fish?

Add the prawns to the stir fry but if they are cooked add them right at the end as otherwise they will shrink and go chewy. I think it's better to start off with a mix in a stir fry than the protein on its own and see how you go. For a 'lump' of fish I like smoked haddock, or sea bass. 100g covered and placed in the microwave for a minute or so on medium heat. Will be cooked when the middle bit is flaky not raw. I'm definitely no cook so no Nigella tips coming from me I'm afraid :). I don't tend to buy whole fish either - too much faffing and I like them bone free. I don't actually like anything I buy to look like the animal it comes from to be honest despite never having been a vegetarian.

For me, I wanted to start training more & compete in bodybuilding. And for me..I am a bit of a junk food/carby loving vegetarian. I now feel I could easily manage without. I eat meat now, but to be honest when I refeed I am thinking to go back to vegetarian long term, or very occasional fish.

Hmm... are you on plan at the moment?? ... yeh a stir fry with prawns, then maybe try a small amount of fish steamed or pan fried. I am a terrible cook..so probably not the best advice!!

I make a pocket out of tin foil and put a smoked salmon fillet in with a few table spoons of soy sauce, and some herbs- dill and fennel go well with fish. I also like a little garlic or chilli, or both. Get the marinade all over the fish and seal up the foil packet by folding up the edges. Place into an oven proof dish and cook in a pre heated oven at about 180 Celsius, for about 20 minutes. It may take less or more time depending on the oven, but when it is hot through the middle it will be a pale pink colour. You can check after 20 minutes and always put it back in. Be careful opening the packet due to the steam! Pour the soy from the packet over the salmon as a 'sauce' and have it with broccoli, salad, spinach, anything yummy really.
You could do this with other fish too, like a tuna fillet. Before I was on a VLCD I put honey in the packet too which is lovely.
Meaty fish like salmon and tuna are a good choice if you're not used to fish.
You could do a similar thing with prawns but in a stir fry. Stir fry with some cucumber sticks, lettuce (they're nice in stir fries not just salads) maybe a bit of cabbage if you like it and mushrooms. You could make a sauce out of soy sauce, grated ginger, chilli and garlic like with the salmon (but just stir it through right at the end or the veg will go soggy).

I do the same with fish. Put a nice bit of smoked cod or haddock in some tin foil with a small knob of butter (a little doesn't hurt!) and fold up the edges, put it on a baking tray and put it in oven on around 150 (fan) for about 20 mins.
yum yum

I also started eating fish/meat about 4 months ago after 20 years of being veggie.

My fav fish is a seabass fillet. Cut 3 slits on the skin side. Add salt and pepper on both sides. Heat a pan and add a very small amount of olive oil. Medium heat. Cook on the skin side for 5 mins. Turn over for 1 min. Eat. I like to add a bit of soy sauce once it's cooked.

Salmon is also lovely - again as fillets.

Rainbow trout are also nice - but you may find yourself having to take small bones out of a fillet so yu may not like to do it.

thanks everyone for all the advice. Tonights the night! I have cheated slightly and I am staying for tea at my mums so she can cook some salmon. I just need to check what she adds to it when cooking and of course try and eat it when its ready.

wish me luck :D

What about some white fish (ie haddock) in foil with a little stock, paprika, saffron and turmeric?? A little butter would be good too but optional.

Em x

Back