Fitness for the Very Fat

BarbaraG

Uncovering the real Me
This is a thread to discuss the particular challenges of becoming more active when you are very big.... say... five stone or more above the top healthy weight for your height. What can, or can't you do? To what extent are worries about your appearance a barrier? How can we work round the particular problems we face?

I started my journey in January, weighing 21 1/2 stone - at least 10 stone over my top healthy weight. And my first resolution was that I was going to go to the gym, 3 times a week. My exercise tolerance was pants ( of course), but I was determined to do what I could, and to do it regularly. I also have dodgy knees, which places limits on what I can do.

I started with a 5 minute warm-up on the cross trainer, a weights programme which took about 25 minutes, and then more cardio (one of exercise bike, rowing machine or stepper) for as long as I felt like - usually 10 to 20 minutes. At the beginning, I had to use various psychological tricks to get myself to go, cos I often didn't want to.

Now, I'm still going to the gym 3 x a week. My warmup now is 10 mins, my weights routine can last up to 40 mins, but I don't always do cardio afterwards, because I have started, very gently, running outdoors. I say running - I mean, very gentle jogging, for a few minutes, with a lot of walking in between. But I need to be very careful with it, because of the dodgy knees. But I increase my cardio according to how tired/energetic I feel - rather than to any particular schedule.

I think strength training is great for very big people. It builds muscle, which burns more calories at rest. It makes sure you don't lose too much lean tissue along with your fat. It makes you feel strong, and that feels good. It makes the activities of everyday life easier. It reshapes your body. And it is easier for a very big person to do strength training than a lot of cardio. Of course, cardio is important too - but for those of us who are very big, some types of cardio are just too tough at the beginning. Walking is great, as is static biking or swimming. I quite like the rowing machine, but did struggle with it at the beginning, because my tummy was so big it got in the way of where my legs needed to be on the front stroke.

So, what about you? What exercises do other big guys and gals find workable? Any problems or issues, post 'em here and someone may be able to help.

Barbara
PS I'm down nearly 4 1/2 stone so far, and just finished a two week holiday in the Lake District, when we did walks of up to 10 miles, and climbed hills over 2,000 feet high. No way I could have done that in January!

Back