Flexi syning?? Have I got this right??

Legomom

Gold Member
Hey all, just wanted to run this past the experts lol I had a bit of a Krispy Kreme incident last night that I'm guesstimating at 30 syns. So I want to try and flexi syn that over the week and hopefully still have a good loss. So this was my maths lol

This week I've eaten 44 syns so far (luckily I had low syn days Monday an tues :)) and I can eat up to 105 over the week. So in theory I can still eat another 61? Is that right? Coz that's just over 15 syns a day left lol and I don't see how that's right!!!!

That's not flexi-synning, that's counting your syns weekly - which is fine.

It doesn't work for everyone, but lots of us save some syns for the weekend or a special occasion without it impacting on weight loss too much. See how you go this week as to whether it works for you!

Have a search for a great thread explaining flexi-synning by madamelaminx.

If you've worked it out that you made up for the syns in the doughnut with the low syns you had the other days I wouldn't worry and I'd just stick to 5 - 15 syns a day for the rest of the week.

Technically what your talking about isn't flexisyns, its weekly syns. You have to plan flexisyns in advance, you stick to your normal syn allowance every other day (some people like to stick with low syns though) and you give yourself a limit of what you'll eat that day, so say 80 syns. You still count up to those 80 syns and stop if you get up to it. But by still counting you still feel in control, you may not loose that week but it stops people throwing away a whole week because of one day.

We bought a box of mixed Krispy kreme donuts and the kids wanted a bit of everything so we quartered them all and everyone had little bits of everything lol. I had 6 quarters and when I googled it looks like each donut is between 13 and 20 syns. I thought 30 was probably the best guess in the circumstances. :)

Unfortunately, that's not flexi synning. Flexi synning is where you decide beforehand how many Syns you are going to allow yourself, and once you reach that number, you stop. For example, if you were going out for a meal. You could find out the Syns value of what you want to eat beforehand, work out how many Syns you're going to need, and set yourself a limit. That could be 16 or 60 - anything you want. As long as you stop once you reach that number. You then go back to normal for the rest of the week, eating between 5-15 Syns a day along with your free/superfree foods.

What you are doing is trying to restrict your Syns for the rest of the week, after eating over your daily allowance. There's nothing wrong with that, and it can indeed work - I have done this many a time when I've had a bit of a binge, etc.

All I'm trying to say is that it's not flexi synning. Don't get yourself confused between the two.

We bought a box of mixed Krispy kreme donuts and the kids wanted a bit of everything so we quartered them all and everyone had little bits of everything lol. I had 6 quarters and when I googled it looks like each donut is between 13 and 20 syns. I thought 30 was probably the best guess in the circumstances. :)

To be fair I think that was a fair guestimate, looking online I saw the highest one is 17.5. I replied to you in the syns thread but using the highest syn value (just to make sure we're over counting rather then under counting) it works out at 26.5

I think you can write this off as a one off and carry on as normal. I really doubt it will effect your weight loss this week :)

So is flexi synning just knowing in advance that your going to be waaaaaaay over your syns on a certain day but setting yourself a realistic stopping point? Then drawing a line under that day and carrying on as normal? Sorry to be a pest it's just they have never covered this in group!!

So is flexi synning just knowing in advance that your going to be waaaaaaay over your syns on a certain day but setting yourself a realistic stopping point? Then drawing a line under that day and carrying on as normal? Sorry to be a pest it's just they have never covered this in group!!

Yeah that's right, there's a more in depth thread about it here somewhere if you wanted to read more

Aaaahhh I see :) thanks for clearing it up!! I kind of like the idea of flexi syns actually. Takes the stress out of big occasions but your still in control.

I'm just going to be carefull with the syns for a few days and watch my sugar intake. I felt awful this morning :(

I've read the flexi syn thread and I'm much clearer now lol. I've been a bit of a silly and unrealistically decided NOT to have donuts (because I'm on a diet dontcha know) then on the day I've predictably realised that the whole family are all sharing and enjoying and I wanted to play too lol. What I should have done was stop being such a martyr and just acknowledged that I was going to want a damn donut then googled the syn value in advance so I could have one!!! Because afterwards I DID feel like going on a binge because I felt I'd ruined the whole week!!! I didn't THIS time but that self destructive cycle after overeating has always been a danger point for me in the past. I haven't got any events coming up for a bit now but next time I'm going to think it through better.

I just love your description of a "Krispy Kreme incident"!! So what I had yesterday was a "Ben & Jerry's incident" then? It sounds much more dramatic and interesting than just finding some at the back of the freezer and scoffing it in a week moment!

I've read the flexi syn thread and I'm much clearer now lol. I've been a bit of a silly and unrealistically decided NOT to have donuts (because I'm on a diet dontcha know) then on the day I've predictably realised that the whole family are all sharing and enjoying and I wanted to play too lol. What I should have done was stop being such a martyr and just acknowledged that I was going to want a damn donut then googled the syn value in advance so I could have one!!! Because afterwards I DID feel like going on a binge because I felt I'd ruined the whole week!!! I didn't THIS time but that self destructive cycle after overeating has always been a danger point for me in the past. I haven't got any events coming up for a bit now but next time I'm going to think it through better.

Just think, if you had had flexisynning explained properly you could have wrked out in advance you were going to have a donut. Allowed your self 20syns say, chosen one you wanted and enjoyed it without angst :)

Ha ha wonder what other "incidents" people have had. I had a crusty bread incident the other day.

So far I've had a Krispy Kreme incident, fudge icing-gate and a run in with the "bar who shall not be named". I have a horrible aversion to just saying "I'm a big greedy get and I ate a bowl of icing" lol

peacelily said:
Ha ha wonder what other "incidents" people have had. I had a crusty bread incident the other day.

Lol. I had a tiger bread incident last night - I had avoided I all night but after some wine my defences were down and that gorgeous aroma beat me into submission...

2 slices with low fat spread.

Gonna have to cough to it on my food diary now....

Back