Flexi syns vs Saving syns

julesm

Slimming World
Hello ladies and gents.

I know what Flexi synning / having flexi days is all about (and have read all the controversy about what it is and isn't heh!) but I was just wondering...

...is there a 'technical' Slimming World term for when you save up a few syns for a special occasion so you can go over the 15 syns for the day?

I probably do this most Saturdays where I'll have about 20-25 syns worth of vodkas for my nights out and don't think I could stick to SW if I didn't do this! But then my syns are low for the rest of the week and I usually have very low or no syns on the Sunday. Is this technically allowed or do SW advise against it?

Just wondering really as my Consultant said it's not really allowed but most people do do it.

xxxx

Snap, I save my syns and have around 40 on a Saturday...usually made up of some wine. I have done this every week and lost - not sure what the technical name is or if it's allowed :)

I can't get on the wesbite at the moment but it actually says on the website you can use your syns weekly rather than daily. So what you are doing is following the plan.

Some consutlants seem to discourage it as there are concerns it will lead to bingeing. I think it is up to the individula and if it works for you then you are fine

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLIES GUYS!!! :) Always wondered about that.

Snap, I save my syns and have around 40 on a Saturday...usually made up of some wine. I have done this every week and lost - not sure what the technical name is or if it's allowed :)

We've got to have our nights out haven't we eh!!! If anything the boogying the synning of alcohol encourages is surely good for the old body magic!!!

I guess the only thing is that when I have a hangover I definitely eat more even though I stick to plan. And superfree foods always seem rather less appealing!!

I can't get on the wesbite at the moment but it actually says on the website you can use your syns weekly rather than daily. So what you are doing is following the plan.

Some consutlants seem to discourage it as there are concerns it will lead to bingeing. I think it is up to the individula and if it works for you then you are fine

Wow well that's great as I had no idea it was actually allowed! Good stuff!!

This is the beauty of Slimming World - It's felxible so you can make it work for you without going depriving yourself of the fun stuff. Love this diet!!!

Thank you for starting this thread!! I am a newbie with not huge amounts to lose but was worried if i saved up my syns for nights out but can now relax :)

Although after my football drink disaster last night - it won't be until next weekend now

x

I know my consultant has advised against it because it can encourage bingeing, but she does also say that if it helps you through and you're losing each week then stick with it.

The last couple of weeks I've been sticking to 10ish syns a day, but am experimenting this week with saving my syns in the week for some drinks at the weekend. TBH I've not missed having them yet.

Hiya
I have always done this (not every weekend mind!), but whenever I do, I still have a loss as long as i stick with my 105 for the week.... and I am now 2st down, so it works for me!
xx

I have a friend who has always done the same. She pretty much goes syn free for most of the week probably only having about 5 syns a day then at the weekend will have around 30 syns.
It's trying what works best for you and if you dont feel deprived of the syns in the week then why not enjoy them on a night out. I sometimes do this if I go out for a meal with my hubby, I will save around 25-35 for one night so I can enjoy a meal and some drinks with him.
Also with syns I know people who will stick to the 5-15 a day or do it by the week. Start the week off with 105 syns and deduct them after each day....xxx

Hiya
I have always done this (not every weekend mind!), but whenever I do, I still have a loss as long as i stick with my 105 for the week.... and I am now 2st down, so it works for me!
xx

Nattymo - have you always stuck to 105 or have you decreased them at any point?

I save syns most weeks. I been on SW for 5 weeks now and only gained at christmas...... (went well over syns :sigh:) I have a little note book with a page for each week and at the top I put 105 and then deduct as I go, also have the week starting date and on WI I add my loss/gain. Its always good so I can look back at weeks where you lost quite a bit and see what I did differently.

Derbynanny: do you know where it says that on the website? I had a look through both the FAQs and couldn't find it. I wanted to show my consultant, who is trying to talk me out of doing weekly syns!

Maybe they have changed their recommendations. I'm not changing though, I much prefer weekly syns. It makes the plan a lot more liveable for me.

Q: Can I save up my Syns for the weekend?

A: You may find that saving Syns is counter-productive in the long run. A great alternative is Flexible Syns. Using your Syns as normal throughout the week and increasing your Syn allowance for a night out or a special occasion. Flexible Syns put you in control of your weight loss campaign by empowering you to accept that the occasional over-indulgence is ok and that it doesn't mean that you've failed and that you should give up. You will find out more about the power of Flexible Syns at your Slimming World group or as an Online member within the members' area of the website.

Doesn't say no, just says you may find it counter-productive ;)

Last edited:
Nattymo - have you always stuck to 105 or have you decreased them at any point?

I save syns most weeks. I been on SW for 5 weeks now and only gained at christmas...... (went well over syns :sigh:) I have a little note book with a page for each week and at the top I put 105 and then deduct as I go, also have the week starting date and on WI I add my loss/gain. Its always good so I can look back at weeks where you lost quite a bit and see what I did differently.

Hi Amy
I generally have had 105 most weeks. Some weeks if i have nothing 'special' happening I can use hardly any - now I know it isnt recommended, but my menu's just work out that way.
I do do a fair bit of body magic though, so not sure if that is what balances everything out for me, and why I havent had to reduce them yet? I am sure soon though I will need to go down to 10 per day. (70 for the week)

Having a diary is a good idea and tracking weekly. I used to do sins daily, using a few less before a big saturday night out, and then less the few days after, but crossing them off from 105 down is something I have only done recently x

Nattymo - I find it really difficult to use syns during the week as I am comfortably full with my free foods. I am trying to use maybe 5 a day and then the rest for the weekend. I'll see how it goes and adjust if needed

A: You may find that saving Syns is counter-productive in the long run. A great alternative is Flexible Syns. Using your Syns as normal throughout the week and increasing your Syn allowance for a night out or a special occasion. Flexible Syns put you in control of your weight loss campaign by empowering you to accept that the occasional over-indulgence is ok and that it doesn't mean that you've failed and that you should give up. You will find out more about the power of Flexible Syns at your Slimming World group or as an Online member within the members' area of the website.

Doesn't say no, just says you may find it counter-productive ;)

That's interesting! This is what it used to say before the website redesign

A: Yes, if you want to, some people like to do this. Do consider though, whether you really will be happy depriving yourself for most of the week. You may prefer to be flexible with your Syns and increase your Syn allowance for a night out or a special occasion.

ETA this was from the FAQs on the member's site - can someone check to see what it says now? I have left my class and am not a group member any more.

Yeah that is interesting - I got that from the FAQs on the member page (paid up member online) - it looks like sw are going down the psychological route to slimming perhaps?? xx

Back