• Upgrades have been completed! Including conversations, 😁😎🏀⚾⚽ Emojis and more.. Read more

FOod Directory

*angie*

loves food and cooking
Your best bet is to join a class (£10 + first weigh in fee of £4.50) and get the SW talk and then buy the book from the consultant (£7.50) this way you will get all the most up to date materials, and a proper intro from the cons.

If you look out, you might also find a discount voucher to get you money off your first class.

Still cheaper than ebay :D

Your best bet is to join a class (£10 + first weigh in fee of £4.50) and get the SW talk and then buy the book from the consultant (£7.50) this way you will get all the most up to date materials, and a proper intro from the cons.

If you look out, you might also find a discount voucher to get you money off your first class.

Still cheaper than ebay :D
Totally agree! Best to hear it from an expert even if you are not going to go back.

They are going for stupid money on ebay, steer clear!

Your best bet is to do what angie says, that way you'll get the benefit of a talk from a trained consultant and all the up to date materials.

Circes

Strutting her stuff
Last time I got one I just phoned up SW and placed an order over the phone. Not sure if you can still do this but might be worth a try. I want to get hold of the new edition as well although can someone tell me if it's organised the same as the 2008 version? I heard reports about hard it was to use?

It's laid out in shop order alphabetically. So Aldi, Asda, Birds Eye etc. Personally I pefer this way, but I think I'm in the minority.

*angie*

loves food and cooking
(so far) I have found it easy to find what I want - you do need to know the name of the manufacturer /shop name though rather than just searching by the product name itself

eg
for a M&S yogurt you would search under M&S
for jelly babies you would have to know they were made by bassets (or whoever)
Branston beans - you would search under crosse and blackwell

Personally I think listed by product would be better (for example) 'baked beans' 'natural yogurt' etc, as then I could compare M&S, tesco, heinz or branson etc side by side.

but that doesn't exist, and this isn't too bad :eek:

I bought the Free Branded Foods book last night for £1.95 and it seems really useful. Didn't buy the directory (£7.50) as I look things up online. There is also a book of low syn snacks.

rosinakathleen

Big, busty and Blowsy!
I also bought these books last night, as well as the directory as they are my "bibles"!
As I have got the old ones as well, I thought of giving them to my neighbour who comes to class. She is a single parent of 4, and I know money is tight for her.
Bit worried about doing it tho as she is so proud, and doesn't do "charity" So will just pop them thro her door with a note saying "hope you can find a use for these, If not put them in recycling bin" and hope for the best!

I'm hoping to pick mine up tonight, i didn't realise they had a different lay out, it sounds much better to me having it by manufacturer - I never know what catagory things come under and some of them are a bit random!

i cant afford to go to classe either and really want the new 2009 directory. i bought a copy of best magazine the other week and it had a £10 voucher for free membership. so i figured i would go tomoz and join. get my a new pack (free) and directory £7.50 and sell my pack on ebay to get my money back!! as i already have a pack here.

I know its cheating the system but cant pay £30 on ebay or afford weekly meetings...

Circes

Strutting her stuff
Just a warning but when i was a group member you couldn't get a book the same night. We had to order and pay for any books we wanted and then got them the following week. I suppose that way the consultant didn't need to pay out for a stock of books that might not be sold. Things might have changed as this was a few years ago and perhaps someone else can say.

i cant afford to go to classe either and really want the new 2009 directory. i bought a copy of best magazine the other week and it had a £10 voucher for free membership. so i figured i would go tomoz and join. get my a new pack (free) and directory £7.50 and sell my pack on ebay to get my money back!! as i already have a pack here.

I know its cheating the system but cant pay £30 on ebay or afford weekly meetings...

Circes

Strutting her stuff
Ordering Food Directory if you're not a SW member

Okay folks - here's what to do.

Phone the SW book enquiry line on 0844 892 0404. You'll get a really nice lady on the other end of the phone who will take your order. It will cost £9.50 including P&P and will be delivered in 7 to 10 days. You need someone to be there to sign for it when it comes so I got mine delivered to my work address.

*angie*

loves food and cooking
Just a warning but when i was a group member you couldn't get a book the same night. We had to order and pay for any books we wanted and then got them the following week. I suppose that way the consultant didn't need to pay out for a stock of books that might not be sold. Things might have changed as this was a few years ago and perhaps someone else can say.

Consultants have an option whether to buy books in advance and hold a stock, or whether to order books as their members want them.
If you are going to a class, you could ring the consultant first and ask whether she holds a stock of the book you want, and perhaps she could hold one for you?

Circes

Strutting her stuff
Well the good news is that my Food Directorary arrived after just 2 days instead of the 7 to 10 that I was told.

The bad news is that it's not arranged alphabetically. It's split into sections - free food, branded red/green free, syn smart and syn basket. It is difficult to find a syn value as you have to check more than one section if it's not immediately obvious whether there is a free food allowance.
I think I'm going to write and complain!