Food Equivalents between UK and USA

Go2Goal

I apologize if there is another thread on this topic somewhere....

It seems this is mostly UK forum (maybe I am wrong...) and so I have some questions about foods:

1) What is Mincemeat? Might it be american hamburger or ground beef? If so, I think we need to use 10% fat, or less. Is that right?

2) What is quark? Is it equivalent to American cream cheese or sour cream?

THanks

Ok, I did a Wikepedia look-up and it says mincemeat has dried fruits and shortening, so I must be confused because that does not seem like 'Dukan food'....

And I guess Quark is similar to American cottage cheese, minus salt....

Yo G2G

Mincemeat - your Wiki definition is what we use in mince pies at Christmas! The mincemeat Dr D refers to is minced beef which I *think* is your ground beef.

Quark - a fat free soft cheese. A bit like solidified cottage cheese lumps all squashed together!!

Hope this helps.

P x

Thank you, thank you!! I have been looking at recipes and trying to figure out what ingredients I might replace....very helpful indeed. :thankyou:

Hi Go2Goal, I am English living in the States for the last 11 years. This is my second time on the Dukan and I love it, if you need any help with the foods in the USA compared to the UK just give me a shout.

Its great to be back the people on here are really helpful and give you lots of drive.

Peter.

I was watching a film yesterday which was an american family that had moved to the UK and they were gonig to a christmas party....the little girl bit into a mince pie and squealed, 'its fruit, its fruit' to which her brothers all replied 'thank god'

Just goes to show how we all call things difference names, yet they are the same. P is right with the mince meat, we call it mince beef or just mince for short. Quark is very very lo fat soft cream cheese, its practically nil on fat and is the only thing we can really have over here. Very few alternatives in the UK which is annoying. You might be able to find an equivalent in US cos you have a lot more to chose from.

Back