food ideas

rani

Silver Member
Hello all

Doesanyone have any good calorie bargain ideas,im getting fed up eating same stuff,would like some low cal veg indian meals,from supermarket coz im to lazy to cook it myself and eaier to cc.

xx

hey :)

Do you cook for just you, or for more people too? I cook just for me usually, rather than for a family, and I particularly find it annoying that stirfry veggies come in FAMILY packs rather than single servings!!! Anyway, by the by... I quite often get the Sharwoods curry sauces, they aren't actually too calorific if you stick to the portion sizes on the labels. Each jar does 3 servings, so I stick in whatever veg I want and then freeze the remaining portions.

Im not sure about ready meals, I think Tescos has a veggie curry on offer for £1 at the mo, in the Healthy Living range?

:)

Tesco does some lovely Indian ready-meals, I had the chicken balti the other day and it was so good!

I went on the Tesco website for you, for veggie options they do a potato Bombay that's 240 cals for half a pack. Gobi Aloo Saag is 170 cals for half the pack, the veggie curry is only 145 cals per half pack. Their Pilau rice is 380 cals for the 1 serving portion. but tbh it's a massive portion, and I never eat all that, normally only about half of it.

Hope that helps a little!

Ooh veggie curries are dead easy to whip up yourself, as long as you've got the spices in your cupboard then most indian cookery really is idiotproof and believe me I'm a good litmus test. :D

This recipe says 'serves 4' but is so low cal you can serve 2 with it, or have a smaller portion with rice, a big salad or a bit of fish. And being veggie it will keep really well in the fridge.

Sweet potato & spinach curry

1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tbsp curry powder OR combined spices of choice
2 large or 4 small (about 600g)orange-fleshed sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized cubes
250ml vegetable stock
1 large tomato, roughly chopped
salt & black pepper
300g pack leaf spinach, stalks removed & leaves torn.

Heat the oil in a large lidded non-stick pan or wok and fry the onion stirring frequently until soft & just turning golden. Add the garlic & curry powder/spices and stir for one minute.

Add the potatoes, stock, tomato and salt & pepper and bring to the boil. Reduce heat, cover & simmer over a low heat, stirring occasionally, for 30 mins or until potatoes are tender.

Rinse the spinach and cook, still wet, in a saucepan over a med-high heat for 1 min, stirring, until wilted.

Stir the spinach into the curry and cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. When ready the curry should be quite dry with most of the stock absorbed.

Per portion (serving 4): 205 cals/5g fat

You can adapt that recipe to add whatever veg you want for a more substantial veggie curry, like cauliflower or peas.

That sounds so good! I think I only have garam masala in the cupboard, do you think that'd work? I am clueless about home-made Indian cuisine.

That sounds so good! I think I only have garam masala in the cupboard, do you think that'd work? I am clueless about home-made Indian cuisine.

That would work, yeah. Garam masala is like a magic ingredient that can "Indian-up" any dish, I usually add some just at the end of cooking if I think a dish needs an extra kick.

Back