Food makes me happy...

MartianMallow

I've been reflecting on my relationship with food. One big challenge is that I feel like I'm kinda..obsessed with food! It makes me feel happy if I can eat what I want, then of course after I've had the chocolate bar or whatever I feel down and guilty. I don't know how to go about altering this relationship with food :mad: It's SO frustrating.

There is nothing wrong with a bit of obsession... I have an obsessive personality so I should know...

You will be able to shift the focus of your obsession in to choosing foods that do you good...

We can have a competition to find the best recipes :D

:D that sounds awesome! I'm trying to get back into cooking. I loved it when I was younger but now I just eat whatever's quick and usually unhealthy. My little boy is just getting to have proper meals now and I need to find some good healthy recipes for him too. So far he's got a great diet but he's going to start wondering why he doesn't get chips like mummy!

Until I have posted a few more messages I cant give you any links.... but once I can I will put up some of the great sites I have found with recipes on...

It really helps to plan out your meals. I find that I can use my health journal not only to keep track of what I have eaten, but I pencil in my planned meals too...

I could have typed that myself. I'm the same. Its difficult, but I pull myself through by reminding myself that i'd MUCH rather be slimmer than stuff myself. I'd rather wake up in the morning knowing I was good last night.

:)

I just tried to post the first link for recipes I found on the internet, but when I post it it blocks most of the web address out

If you search Helen's Slimming World Recipes you will find the site

I think most of us on here have an unhealthy relationship with food... that's why we're here I guess :(
I've begun to think of myself in the same terms as an alcoholic or drug addict would - that I have to take it day by day and avoid temptation (which is everywhere!!)
That's why I used the Cambridge Diet, so that I could quit food 'cold turkey' for a while and prove to myself that I would survive (mentally) without it... now trying to re-learn how to eat without emotion. It's hard!! The only thing that's making it bearable at the moment is that I've switched obsessions to 1. Running and 2. Watching 'fat' programmes on tv!!

I think most of us on here have an unhealthy relationship with food... that's why we're here I guess :(
I've begun to think of myself in the same terms as an alcoholic or drug addict would - that I have to take it day by day and avoid temptation (which is everywhere!!)
That's why I used the Cambridge Diet, so that I could quit food 'cold turkey' for a while and prove to myself that I would survive (mentally) without it... now trying to re-learn how to eat without emotion. It's hard!! The only thing that's making it bearable at the moment is that I've switched obsessions to 1. Running and 2. Watching 'fat' programmes on tv!!

I totally agree with you about it being similar to alcohol or drug addictions. All my friends are super skinny and I've tried to explain it to them in these terms so often but they think I'm making it up as an excuse so it's good to hear someone else have the same opinion :D

I also feel happy when I eat the foods I want. BUT I have found I enjoy the food I love more when I have worked for them and they are a well deserved treat on a 'cheat night' after weigh in.

Yes! I was discussing the addiction idea with my mum. It's tough because with any other addiction you can try to quit cold turkey, but you can't really survive without food. Of course there's the meal replacement type diets which are great but for me I think I would really struggle with those. I applaud anyone that has the willpower to stick to them!

Urgh, the though of eating milkshakes all the time goes through me lol x

Back