Food week, meal out and porridge

BijouHope

I am now in Week 4 of Exante Total Solution, and have been absolutely 100% for 23 days. I have been thinking about the food week, without any any firm idea of what to do about it, and realise that if I am continuing with Exante after my 28 days' supply is eaten up, then now's the time to do it. The only thing is, I haven't yet decided whether I will be continuing, and won't make that decision until I weigh in on Monday. In parallel, I am going to a formal dinner this evening, with a set menu over which we have no control or choice, and which I am very much looking forward to.

So I have decided that as my interpretation of food week, I will just eat whatever I am served at this dinner, but trim it slightly so that the meal isn't too damaging. I plan to drink mineral water instead of wine, to skip any canapés, to omit bread if it is served before or alongside the starter, to omit the potato dish that is to be served with the main course, to eat the main part of the pudding but omit any biscuit served on the side, and to omit any chocolate or petit four served with coffee. The people I am eating with will gratefully take all of the omitted elements off me! Based on what I know of the menu, it still won't be properly low-carb after these modifications, but since I am having only one Exante sachet today, that won't be the end of the world because I will still have some leeway.

Unfortunately, I have just had that one Exante sachet, and tried the porridge for the first time. I'm so glad I only ordered one sachet of it. So sweet! So gloopy! So lacking in texture! Ugh. Even a healthy dose of mixed spice couldn't rescue it, although I did manage to force it down.

I am a bit worried that eating out tonight might make me fall off the wagon, because we also have a couple of more informal get-togethers to go to over the next few days. This weekend is the first time when I will have had to resist external pressure to eat and drink since starting Exante, so it's a bit unfortunate that several unrelated events are colliding in such a short space of time. I am hoping I can be strong and keep to plan, but time will tell. Wish me luck :D

Good luck!!!!! Great ideas there!!

I too find the porridge waaaaaay too sweet! I'm used to plain porridge in the morning for breakfast and this just tastes like sugar. However as its my typical breakfast meal it makes the dirt seem more 'normal' in my daily routine so I'm adding lots of cinnamon and hoping that when I'm done its not too hard to switch back to non sweetened in any way porridge!

Good luck your plan seems a good one. I'm not far off goal and I had a couple of days off where we have had family outings. Just remember what your goal is and that whatever you put in is what you get out of it at the end of the day. My biggest failure with food is carbs (I love them they live my tummy) when I'm eating again properly I intend to try and avoid carbs as much as possible or only having a small amount. You seem to have your head screwed on to what you need to do have some confidence in your self.

Oh and I love the porridge did take a bit of getting used to though on the sweetness and I never follow instructions on water amount I just make how I like it. Lol I'm never allowed to build flat pack furniture xxx

I'd be really interested to hear how/if this affects your weight loss this week. I've just stayed the same on week 4, and had eaten non carb meals a couple of nights, in lieu of one sachet, and can't help wondering if that is what caused the stall? I'm back on TS but weigh-in isn't until Tuesday so I don't know of its working (still feel fat!) And to top it off I'm now paranoid that if a couple of lean protein meals made me stall, will an add-a-meal week or refeeding pile the weight back on?

Thank you for the comments, Joyous, Maria and Buttons. I had a lovely meal last night, which went completely according to my plan for it. And I had my first real food in over three weeks! Apart from a thin crouton (incorporated into the starter, and not really separable without being rude), a spoonful of parsnip mash and a delicious crème brûlée, everything I ate was low-carb. As planned, I ignored the canapés, and gave away my bread roll, potato, biscuit and chocolate, and I stuck to the mineral water. I really enjoyed the meal, with no desire to overindulge, and this morning I am ready and willing to carry on with the weight-loss programme.

Now to tackle the other outings this weekend. I can't really plan for these, other than to volunteer to drive so that it is easy to stick to mineral water instead of alcohol. Beyond that, I have no idea what food will be offered, or whether it will be hard to avoid eating it. But I will do my best.

Buttons, I'm afraid I have no way of knowing whether one meal will cause a change in the rate of weight loss, because I am only weighing in properly once every four weeks (my first weigh-in is coming up on Monday). I made this decision from the start because I am tired of worrying about daily fluctuations when dieting, or weeks where nothing much seems to happen, and I want to focus only on the overall trend (which I hope will be downward). I can control what I put in my mouth, but I can't control how my body will reflect that in the reading on the scales, and it doesn't do me any good to worry about things I can't control. So I'm focusing on my eating and drinking, and leaving the scales to fend for themselves, with just a monthly check-up to see how the plan is going.

Hope you all have a good weekend.

Awesome!!! Well done!!! You did great!!!

Good idea on focusing on the monthly weigh in so you're not obsessing about daily changes! See you're not just changing your eating habits but unhealthy behaviours in general, which is awesome!!!!

It's the day before my first weigh in and while I'm not obsessed with weighing myself I'm itching to see how I've gone!!!

Wow sounds like you had a lovely meal and well done for resisting the naughty bits!!!

I'm refeeding at the minute and had loads of rice yesterday in a gumbo thing cus we went out for lunch but I was only half a lb heavier today!

I'm eagerly waiting to see how you do after your 4 weeks!!

Wow Bijou, you are one determined momma! What an inspiration you are to the rest of us. I really like your thinking and attitude, I may try taking a leaf out of your book, wonder if I can stay off the scales longer? I love the bit you pointed out about controlling what goes in your mouth but not how your body (or the scales) respond it it - what an amazing insight, and of course you are so right :)

Back