For those of you who have a 'treat day/day off'...

LisaC

Gold Member
Since starting SW I've had to had one day off a week (usually WI day), where I can eat anything, to kick start my metabolism other wise I absolutely won't lose the next WI.

Anyway I've been on SW since April & for 4 weeks I've STS & weighed in today & I've gained 1.5lb. In the last 5 weeks I've tried replacing lunch with Scan Bran (& drinking plenty of water), varying my syns & other meals & this week I did 3 days Success Express & now I've gained.

I just wondered if maybe I've come to a point where my "day off" won't doesn't have the same effect anymore & instead its catching up with me. I don't mind not having it, I only did it because my past Consultant & I worked out that I had to do it to lose.

Has anyone else found this??

LisaC said:
Since starting SW I've had to had one day off a week (usually WI day), where I can eat anything, to kick start my metabolism other wise I absolutely won't lose the next WI.

Anyway I've been on SW since April & for 4 weeks I've STS & weighed in today & I've gained 1.5lb. In the last 5 weeks I've tried replacing lunch with Scan Bran (& drinking plenty of water), varying my syns & other meals & this week I did 3 days Success Express & now I've gained.

I just wondered if maybe I've come to a point where my "day off" won't doesn't have the same effect anymore & instead its catching up with me. I don't mind not having it, I only did it because my past Consultant & I worked out that I had to do it to lose.

Has anyone else found this??

If you use the search facility on here there is already atleast 1 other thread about this :) x

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-weight-loss-diary/187905-jos-journey-infinity-beyond.html

Its possible you cant "afford" a day off any more, but Im more bothered that:

"In the last 5 weeks I've tried replacing lunch with Scan Bran

Are you sure you're eating ENOUGH (rather than vice versa)?

Although I notice you dont have that much to lose. Wheres your food diary?

Its possible you cant "afford" a day off any more, but Im more bothered that:

Are you sure you're eating ENOUGH (rather than vice versa)?

Although I notice you dont have that much to lose. Wheres your food diary?

I meant that I've tried those things over 5 weeks for a boost, I had SB for lunch only for 2 of those weeks (& not everyday). Sorry have been more specific! :)

I have a notebook where I write everything down. I've had various things going on in 5 weeks such as meals for friends getting married which has always been on a Satruday, I just wonder if either that is too close to WI day (Wed) or it's just not working as well for me anymore. I go on holiday on 27th Oct & wanted to do as well as I could before then but I seem to be either stuck or going backwards. It always seems to happen when I have something coming up :(

I meant that I've tried those things over 5 weeks for a boost, I had SB for lunch only for 2 of those weeks (& not everyday). Sorry have been more specific! :)

I have a notebook where I write everything down. I've had various things going on in 5 weeks such as meals for friends getting married which has always been on a Satruday, I just wonder if either that is too close to WI day (Wed) or it's just not working as well for me anymore. I go on holiday on 27th Oct & wanted to do as well as I could before then but I seem to be either stuck or going backwards. It always seems to happen when I have something coming up :(

Ah right, mild panic there at Sc*nBrn every lunch for 5 weeks, sorry :D

Mmm how about posting your diary online for a few days so other people can compare? Its possible you cant afford the days off at weddings and stuff any more, especially as you dont have loads to lose, but it also might be you're not eating enough either? Cant really say unless we can see what youre eating.

Also, when you have your 'day off' (at a wedding or whatever) do you sort of "to hell with it" with the plan, or do you just let yourself be a bit freer than normal? I do have a day off each week but I dont let myself go mad with *everything* (usually!) and I can get away with it and still lose, but then I have a lot more to lose than you so I can probably get away with it a bit more. I dont expect Ill get away with as much as I get lighter!

Post a diary for a few days and see what other people think maybe? I do find the weeks I eat less I lose less and the weeks I go absolutely nuts I tend to lose a ton!

PS I get weighed on a Wed and usually have Saturday as my day off. I spend Wed Thu Fri 'behaving', have what I like Sat then work it off again Sun Mon Tue, it seems to work for me but we're all different. At the end of the day as long as every week is pretty much the same the WI day shouldnt really matter that much.

Ah right, mild panic there at Sc*nBrn every lunch for 5 weeks, sorry :D

Mmm how about posting your diary online for a few days so other people can compare? Its possible you cant afford the days off at weddings and stuff any more, especially as you dont have loads to lose, but it also might be you're not eating enough either? Cant really say unless we can see what youre eating.

Also, when you have your 'day off' (at a wedding or whatever) do you sort of "to hell with it" with the plan, or do you just let yourself be a bit freer than normal? I do have a day off each week but I dont let myself go mad with *everything* (usually!) and I can get away with it and still lose, but then I have a lot more to lose than you so I can probably get away with it a bit more. I dont expect Ill get away with as much as I get lighter!

Post a diary for a few days and see what other people think maybe? I do find the weeks I eat less I lose less and the weeks I go absolutely nuts I tend to lose a ton!

PS I get weighed on a Wed and usually have Saturday as my day off. I spend Wed Thu Fri 'behaving', have what I like Sat then work it off again Sun Mon Tue, it seems to work for me but we're all different. At the end of the day as long as every week is pretty much the same the WI day shouldnt really matter that much.

As I WI on a Wed I've always used the rest of that day to have my "day off", its only been weekends due to meals out & things. That could have made a difference...? When I explained this to a friend this morning also on SW she asked what I eat, the truth is I eat anything, because its always worked for me I'd literally fancy anything just because I know I can eat it & in truth I'd NEVER make 'better' choices, I'd go in for the kill so to speak.

This past week I've done 3 days Success Express, the amount of veg I've eaten with my meals is crazy & I've only snacked on S & SS fruit (obviously my Syns & HEX's on top) even the days I've not done SE. I can only assume that my 'day off' this week is why I've gained in which case from now on I think I'd rather stick to plan 24/7 as its obviously not working for me anymore.

I honestly don't see how a day off/treat day can kick start the metabolism and I'm really surprised a consultant would agree!

It's all calories in versus calories expended and by having a day off these are all extra calories.

I know this seems to have worked for you in the past, but was it just luck? Have you pushed the day off more and more over time and it's just tipped you over with the calorific intake vs weight loss?

There's something in the SW plan which makes it work. I've tried to kid myself that a packet of crisps is okay to snack on because a mugshot is free, and lets face it, crisps are less calories than mugshots but it doesn't work this way. Not suggesting this is what you do but it's an example of the plan working correctly.

Follow the plan 100% for a full week. Starting on WI day as day 1. So no treat night/day, no day off. Stick to it completely and don't try the scan bran/water/SE/increased superfree.

Why not try the 7 day planner in the magazine? The new mix and match way they do it is great as you can pick whichever breakfast/lunch/dinner you like. The B choices are all built into breakfast so thinking about HEX's either.

I really really don't think treat day can successfully help weight loss in any way at all. I know some say it helps them stay on plan but to me, it's all relative, and losses will suffer because of it.

Hope some of this helps in some way.

If it helps I have put on 2lbs this week which can only be due to a couple of meals out. I did syn my meals and I have been 100% honest in my diaries feel free to take a look yet I still gained.
It has really upset me especially as one lady ate 5 chippy dinners last week and los 1.5lbs which I don't understand.
I can only assume treat days work for some but not for others

jaylou said:
I honestly don't see how a day off/treat day can kick start the metabolism and I'm really surprised a consultant would agree!

It's all calories in versus calories expended and by having a day off these are all extra calories.

I know this seems to have worked for you in the past, but was it just luck? Have you pushed the day off more and more over time and it's just tipped you over with the calorific intake vs weight loss?

There's something in the SW plan which makes it work. I've tried to kid myself that a packet of crisps is okay to snack on because a mugshot is free, and lets face it, crisps are less calories than mugshots but it doesn't work this way. Not suggesting this is what you do but it's an example of the plan working correctly.

Follow the plan 100% for a full week. Starting on WI day as day 1. So no treat night/day, no day off. Stick to it completely and don't try the scan bran/water/SE/increased superfree.

Why not try the 7 day planner in the magazine? The new mix and match way they do it is great as you can pick whichever breakfast/lunch/dinner you like. The B choices are all built into breakfast so thinking about HEX's either.

I really really don't think treat day can successfully help weight loss in any way at all. I know some say it helps them stay on plan but to me, it's all relative, and losses will suffer because of it.

Alot of new are showing that by having one day a week where you increase your calories above what you normally have stops your body getting used to your intake and having a plateau. Your body gets a whack of calories and this apparently stops it trying to hold onto your fat reserves. I've read it more and more in recent times. And I wonder if it's partly what's behind the newer thinking with Ww where they get an extra 49 points per week to splurge? It may not be, but it makes you wonder?!

When I first joined SW (2009) lots in class would have the night off after our WI at 7.30, I tried it but it would have a negative effect at next WI. When I joined my second class, I found that for every good week (loss) I'd have 2 or more bad weeks (gains) even though I stuck to plan 100%. My C said I was "too strict on myself" & suggested having the day off. All the time I stayed at that class it worked, when I started over in April doing it at home it continued. But I agree with what you say, I think maybe now its too much when it comes to calories in vs weight loss. My losses have ALWAYS been incredibly slow so I'd never want to hinder even losing a tiny amount. I'm away this weekend but as of next Wed (also next WI) I think I'll try sticking to plan 100% for 7 days & see how I get on x

I'm really sorry hun, but this has to be the strangest thing i have heard here. You say oyur losses were alwasy slow - have you thought that they may be slow because of trewat night. Its completely mental of your consultant to suggest that a 'treat night' is the best way to loose weight, and that you can't do it by being 100% on plan. Of course you can do it - if you are consistently gain whilst following plan 100% it is more likely that you are not actually following plan 100% - not that you should have a 'treat night'.

I'm really sorry hun, but this has to be the strangest thing i have heard here. You say oyur losses were alwasy slow - have you thought that they may be slow because of trewat night. Its completely mental of your consultant to suggest that a 'treat night' is the best way to loose weight, and that you can't do it by being 100% on plan. Of course you can do it - if you are consistently gain whilst following plan 100% it is more likely that you are not actually following plan 100% - not that you should have a 'treat night'.

On average I proably lose less than 0.5 a week. When I was at class I'd lose one week then not the next 3, thats when my C said I was too strict. I never felt sticking to plan was strict as I enjoyed what I ate & stuck to my 5-15 syns & didn't want to go over the 15 as thats the limit. When she suggested it I gave treat day a go, gradually my losses became consistent although they stayed small. I no longer go to class so can't ask the C about it. I suppose at the time I thought she's the C & knows best so I'd follow her advice. Maybe I never should have :eek:

I completely undersntad why you did what she suggested hun. I'm just completely astonished she suggested it.

Its far more likely that you needed to eat less free and more superfree food, or less food in general (i.e. portion control).

Its also entirely possible you've just hit your 'natural' weight but I'd recommend a month of 100% on plan before jumping to any conclusions!

when you say day off... do you mean a full day off plan, or a meal? because its easy to incorporate a 'treat' meal and still be on plan and a full day offplan i think would be worse as opposed to one meal. theres loads of recipes for takeaway style meals and pudding ideas that really do feel naughty but aren't as bad as the real thing....of course we love something 'proper naughty', and i have the occasional takeaway or meal out and accept that a gain would probably be for that reason. flexi syns are an ideal thing to use in that kind of situation.
maybe it would be good to try out other ways of having the treats, find some recipes and give them a try and use your syns for additional chocs or whatever alongside? good luck anyhow :)

when you say day off... do you mean a full day off plan, or a meal? because its easy to incorporate a 'treat' meal and still be on plan and a full day offplan i think would be worse as opposed to one meal. theres loads of recipes for takeaway style meals and pudding ideas that really do feel naughty but aren't as bad as the real thing....of course we love something 'proper naughty', and i have the occasional takeaway or meal out and accept that a gain would probably be for that reason. flexi syns are an ideal thing to use in that kind of situation.
maybe it would be good to try out other ways of having the treats, find some recipes and give them a try and use your syns for additional chocs or whatever alongside? good luck anyhow :)

My old class was 5.30pn so I used to have a treat that evening but since ive been doing SW at home I WI early in the morning & found myself having treats all day, not particularly a meal, just picking at things I fancied.

I'm away this weekend & can't stick to plan but next week in going to stick to it 100% for 7 days & see how I get on. Thanks :)

It does sound ludicrous but it's a well known dieters trick. I've even seen Bob Harper off the biggest loser suggest it and say that the biggest loser contestants have a meal off each week where they eat whatever they like.

It's not as straightforward as calories in calories used, if that were the case then two people eating exactly the same would lose or gain exactly the same, which they won't, because we all have different bodies and metabolisms. The theory behind the "blow_out" trick is as a metabolic booster. If you have spent a prolonged period of time consuming roughly the same calories each day, your body adjusts to that and knows that is what's coming and burns at a suitable rate for the intake. However, if you then have a blow-out or an off day, it can trick your body into thinking that it has more fuel to burn and so metabolism temporarily speeds up and you lose faster for a while.

It also gives you the opportunity to eat the stuff you have been wanting and avoid feeling deprived, much as syns do.

I know this can work because when I was losing, on special occasions I would eat what I wanted and not worry about it and I always had bigger losses after the event, however the danger is that you then decide to do it more frequently or worse still fall off the wagon altogether, and that'd be totally counter-productive.

The difference between this method and flexisynning is the control is in place with flexisyns that is not there when you go off-plan totally for a treat.

How many people have you known have inexplicably big losses after a blow-out or big night out? It happens in group a lot, SOTW sits there looking puzzled and guilty, while those who have stuck to plan 100% inwardly seethe at the unfairness of it all.

It's not recommended by SW, but its also not necessarily a terrible idea if you have been stagnating for a while and need to give yourself a shake up. Just don't do it regularly.

That's it, my C suggested I do it to 'trick' my metabolism but she said to stick at it every week. Maybe she shouldn't have suggested it. Either way I feel I'm always getting stuck in a rut & my body has got too use to a blow out day so I feel sticking to plan 7 days & mixing up my meals & syns is probably the best way to go.

I always have a meal out every week and have never gained, although I eat up to 5 syns per day which probably stops me gaining. I don't go crazy and stuff myself all day, I eat whatever I fancy and most importantly enjoy it. What I will say is that my night off never includes any battered, fried or creamy food purely because these are foods that I don't want in my body - so maybe look at what you are eating as a treat. Also even though it's a day off, maybe have a healthy brekkie and lunch? But some of my best losses have included a treat night, so there is some method in the madness :) xx

We are all different and have to try what works for us. Bizarre that a c is telling people to regularly stick to having bad days weekly though :eek::eek::eek:
I could 'get away' with stuff at first that I couldn't later on.
If you have increased your treat night to a treat day though that would probably make a big difference to the amount of treats you are having.
Try sticking to plan and see what happens :)

Back