For those who've lost quite a lot, did you do exercise on Slimming World?

matt9210

Hi everyone, first post, been lurking as a guest for a while now and decided to sign up after seeing what an inspirational website this can be! :)

For those who've lost quite a lot of weight, did you ever do extra exercise?

I'm 2 stone 3 lbs down so far after 3 months of Slimming World. Don't get me wrong, absolutely chuffed with the rate the number on the scales is going down. But feeling a little disappointed with the inches! It's strange, I can see a bit of a difference in photos (depending on what I'm wearing), but my chest and belly, my biggest hate areas (moobs!), look the exact same as three months ago.

Whenever I see the amazing success stories and photos, I always wonder how much exercise they did, and what kind of exercise. Slimming World always say you don't need to exercise to lose weight, but I'm wondering if it's necessary for me to do so to see that belly go down, or if I'm just expecting too much at this stage?

And on a side note, does anyone have any idea what would be an ideal weight for a slim figure for a male of my height?

I've lost nearly 6 stone over the past 3 years - I'd say only really started to notice the change in my shape over the past 8 months. Although obviously must have been thinning out but the clothes I was wearing weren't doing anything to show off my weight loss. It's taking some time for my head to catch up with how I see myself. Started swimming 4 times a week in August and thought I'd drop at least a stone lol. Anyway I've lost probably about 8lbs since then although my shape has definitely changed. People are suddenly asking if I've lost weight which I find amusing when I see their reaction when I say nearly 6 stone!!! My stomach and arms are never going to look great in my opinion - too much excess skin - urgh but I can live with that as the health benefits of my weight loss are worth it. Keep doing what you're doing - you're doing great. Just don't give up

Hi I've lost a fair amount & I have tried to exercise from outset.

I started with Leslie Sansone walking (on you tube for free!) then stepped up & have recently completed the C25K program that starts you walking with brief running intervals and builds over 9 weeks to running for 30 minutes.

My favourite exercise & what I think is really helping me lose inches and change shape is the fab kettlebells I tried them from beginning but in honesty had to get bit fit first as was a wreck :D

Thanks to the both of you for the replies, and well done on the massive losses! Incredible!

I've heard many good things about the C25K programme, and hoping to start at the end of January when I can afford some decent running shoes.

Looks like I'll have to pick up exercise harder than walking soon then! At the moment, I only do five 10 minute power walks a weeks on top of my regular activity to achieve the first Bronze body magic award.

Exercise is always something I'm scared of doing. I live with five other students, and don't like the thought of them hearing me exercise and my exercise videos. On the other hand, I'm embarrassed to exercise in public at my current size. Getting over this "fear" is something I need to conquer.

Any other stories are welcome, btw :D

Hey Matt! You're doing great so far!
Im so glad you started this thread as I was also very curious about that haha
I just wanted to say I also live in a flat with 3 other students, did you get to pick your flatmates or is it a halls type thing?
Also don't be embarrassed about going to the gym while you still feel overweight! At least you are doing something about it rather than sat at home!
Jessica

My favourite exercise & what I think is really helping me lose inches and change shape is the fab kettlebells I tried them from beginning but in honesty had to get bit fit first as was a wreck :D

i have just got a kettlebell and beginners DVD so this is good news :)

Thanks Jessica!
They're people I've chosen to live with, so I suppose that'd make it less awkward, aha.
I know it sounds daft, but I just don't like the thought of people lurking around waiting for me to finish with equipment, or seeing how easily exhausted I get :p I'll go when I feel the time is right/if I'm not happy with the inches being lost, whichever comes first. I know my desire to be healthy and slim outweighs the fears!

That's fair enough, its all about what you're comfortable with! I like exercising in my flat because then as you said it's not people watching or anything like that and my flatmates are all pretty cool about it, one of them tried to join me once and didn't realise how hard it was haha ( I was doing an exercise DVD)

Do you find it harder living with so many others and having them eating things that aren't on plan? That's where I struggle most if they're getting take out and I'm like I can't watch that

I personally want to get fitter as well as at the moment I have 0 upper body strength to the point it's almost embarrassing haha!

Thanks to the both of you for the replies, and well done on the massive losses! Incredible! I've heard many good things about the C25K programme, and hoping to start at the end of January when I can afford some decent running shoes. Looks like I'll have to pick up exercise harder than walking soon then! At the moment, I only do five 10 minute power walks a weeks on top of my regular activity to achieve the first Bronze body magic award. Exercise is always something I'm scared of doing. I live with five other students, and don't like the thought of them hearing me exercise and my exercise videos. On the other hand, I'm embarrassed to exercise in public at my current size. Getting over this "fear" is something I need to conquer. Any other stories are welcome, btw :D

I can so relate to this lol
The thought of exercising in public scares me lol
You are doing fab by the way. I'm very overweight and will be joining my local slimming world group on Thursday to start my journey.
I've done part of the C25K before and found it very good as it gradually eases u into it. now that it's dark early I'm planning on heading out early evening in the hope no one will recognise me!! But you are doing this for you, sod what anyone else thinks!!
Keep up the great work. Do u have a diary on here would love to follow your journey xx

Good luck with the exercise, I did it from the beginning it does really help to tone up. You will find something you like, I grew more confident I was up for trying allsorts. I'm going to have a go at kettle bells next week at the local leisure centre.
Good luck on your journey :)

Thanks Nessa! When I do start exercising, the C25K programme will be the first thing I do (also when it's dark, aha). Heard so many recommendations and for someone as unfit as me, it sounds like a perfect way to get into it. I'm currently doing some power walks to just get into the routine of at least doing something extra. Need to find somewhere in Sheffield that's actually flat where I can run, that should be a challenge in itself!

I typed a diary yesterday to submit, but I decided not to post. I have it saved in a Word document in case I change my mind, but thanks!

Thanks Superfree Princess, and well done on the amazing loss! What kind of exercises did you do when starting?

Do you think in terms of toning up, I'd be any worse off starting exercise at 14 stone rather than when I started? As in, it'll take longer now for more fat to go? I've only done two lots of body measurements, one a week after I started, and the other 2 months after that. After losing 1 stone 11, I'd lost 2.5 inches off my stomach, and I was disappointed with that. Maybe it was naive, I really don't know what was a reasonable number to expect. I just expected more. Decided to do body measurements once every 2 months, which means I'll probably do body measurements after every stone or so lost.

Hi, I have done exercise on and off during my journey due to illness and an op, I lost weight no matter what but I have to say I lost slightly more quicker when I did exercise.
I didn't go to a gym for the same reasons as above but I bought myself an exercise bike, a pilates DVD and got given a cross trainer and I take the dog for longer walks and I use the stairs at work (3 floors) instead of the lift. I now do exercise to help tone up now I've lost what I wanted to lose and to help keep it off.
Good luck :)

Thanks Barbette!

I know there are a ton of benefits to doing exercise regardless of size, one of them being that I could be fitter in 2 months doing exercise than I would be reaching target having done no exercise. When you say lose weight, I wonder if your size significantly reduces too? As in, I wonder if I'd be able to tell the difference in my body at 13 stone with exercise more than 13 stone with no exercise, as that's still a lot of fat (known from previous experience at that weight many years ago, aha).

One of the ladies in group got to target and then started exercising, she stayed the same weight but dropped 3 dress sizes so I would say it changes your, well I hope so lol

Sent from my D6503 using MiniMins.com mobile app

I found the first three stone didn't really show too much, despite my trousers being looser and needing to get smaller ones, it wasn't noticeable.
Above that, I started getting the comments from friends and family, one of whom was shocked as he hadn't seen me for months and I was down nearly 5 stone then!

Just keep going, it will be more noticeable but exercise will change your body composition more than your weight, more of you will become muscle rather than fat and you will drop sizes.

It will be worth going to the Gym to develop good habits and then it will become second nature to you :)

Some people have noticed my loss already, but it's not a "Wow you look completely different" loss just yet, aha.

With those 3 stone and 5 stone losses, were they without the gym?

Some people have noticed my loss already, but it's not a "Wow you look completely different" loss just yet, aha.

With those 3 stone and 5 stone losses, were they without the gym?

Not been to the Gym yet, was going to sign up this week but had an unexpected bill to factor in so I am having to watch the pennies for now, meh! >_<

Guess I will be grabbing my weights and having a go at some exercises at home for a while!

Hi All.
I have lost 7st since I started and I used to go to auqatone, cycling whenever possible, walking. One week I checked my weight for no exercise, the following week every day exercise, I lost no difference in weight but noticed inches of my waist!

Hi bilsat,
I've seen your posts around the forum, wow, what a transformation!
What weight were you when you started exercise?

Back