Forms signed but now terrified its not going to work

Dr finally signed my forms:)) but I'm
Now terrified that CD is not going to work! Nothing else has:(( I was even in hospital v poorly z few months ago and was nil by mouth for a week... ANC I lost.....0 lbs! I'm hypothyrpid so my metabolism I'd do slow anyway... And I keep reading posts saying that CD slows this ( even further) which stops big losses. I'm absolutely terrified of wont work for me.... But I can't bd this big anymore and watching others live life whilst m too big to be part if it .... I just can't! I'm panicking!

As long as you're on the right dose of thyroxine and your TSH is in the normal range, you are no different to anyone who doesn't have hypothyroidism. It widely gets used as an excuse for slow metabolism and weight gain but that is only an issue if it is untreated. If you are having your thyroid function treated with thyroxine you can pretty much forget you have hypothyroidism - because basically you don't anymore, thanks to a little tablet everyday.

I "have" hypothyroidism treated with levothyroxine and I have lost 36lb in 8 weeks! What I would suggest is that you have your TFTs checked more often, as losing weight can alter them and maybe push you out of the normal range, so might mean your dosage needs to change. I'm watching mine very closely at the moment (I work in a hospital so can get colleagues to take my blood whenever I want and I have access to my own results) because my TSH has always been in the 2s (2.00-2.99) and has been this way for years, although has fluctuated a bit within that range, but I had my blood done last week and it has dropped to 1.43. Still in the normal range but quite a significant drop considering it's been fairly static for years. So I'm keeping a close eye as to whether it keeps dropping or not.

Anyway, forget you have hypothyroidism and stop using it as an excuse (I mean that nicely). Stick to the diet and it will work!!

If you stick with it and don't cheat in the slightest it cannot fail to work. There are plenty of people on here with thyroid problems who have lost loaDs (like tennisfan above). The worst thing you can do with this diet is go in thinking it won't work, you have to have the faith to stick with it as the first 4 days will be difficult, stick with it and it will work.

Thanks got the replies... But I'm sorry tennis fan I couldn't disagree with you more regarding hypothyroidism . I do not use it as an excuse and never ever have. But after being under an endocronologist for the past 7 years i can assure you that just because your treated does not mean your like everyone else. He has informed me synthetic thyroxine is nothing like real thyroxine and your body will not work as efficiently . Hypothyroidism is ALL about metabolism.... That's what thyroid is ALL about. Thats what a fully qualified dr has stated and after living with it for 7 years ( and 10 years in diagnosed before that) i agree with him. And after years of tests with him and of feeling very poorly, exhausted ( beyond comprehension) and bring on 250-350cg thyroxine per day and still not having levels perfect I get really upset when I hear comments stating its an excuse, once treated we are exactly the same etc...... Maybe your one of the 'lucky ones' where you were you'd treatment works wonders but I'm not and I know many many more like me( and not all overweight but simply can't get rid of other symptoms) . Sorry of you find this reply offensive but I'm sick of comments like 'its an excuse etc' .

Hey wifey, I know absolutely nothing about hypothyroidism, but I can offer hugs instead! :bighug:

Taking in as few calories as the diet allows can only promote weight loss. It may be a bit slower for some, but your weight will go down.

There are so many inspirational posts on this forum, at any low moment just log on here and have a read. Always keep in mind what you want to accomplish and you'll get through. Its a tough diet, it takes willpower, it takes time.

Best of luck to you x

My post wasn't meant to offend you, and I am not offended by yours. What I was trying to say is that if you go into any diet, including Cambridge, and believe you are destined to fail then you probably will. I recently saw a saying "you can believe you will, or you can believe you won't, whichever you believe you will be right" (or something along those lines) and it is so true. If you believe you can follow the diet, you will follow the diet and if you follow the diet you will lose weight.

I am a health professional myself and very aware of the implications of hypothyroidism and metabolism, as a professional and on a personal level. Obviously natural thyroxine is different to synthetic thyroxine but it's as good of a replacement as you'll ever get in trying to synthetically correct it. It's the only option you or anyone else with hypothyroidism has.

Your metabolism may be slower, but everyone's metabolisms run at different rates regardless of thyroid function. So there will be plenty of people out there with a normally functioning thyroid whose metabolism is similar to yours, yet they have no particular reason for it, nothing to blame.

I suppose my post was meant to say that if you always believe your thyroid function will stop you from losing weight then it probably will, because it will affect your mental attitude to weight loss. If you try to forget (easier said than done) that you have hypothyroidism (at least from a weight loss point of view) and stick with the diet, your body will lose weight at the best rate it can with your metabolism, which is the same for everyone. I've seen people lose 50-60lb in 8 weeks and wondered why I can't lose as much. But there's no point me dwelling on it. I have to be happy with what my body can achieve, because I can't do anything other than try my best with what I am given.

Plus my post started with "As long as you're on the right dose of thyroxine and your TSH is in the normal range" and therefore the rest of my post was based on that assumption. Clearly yours isn't, which makes a lot of the rest of my post possibly irrelevant or inappropriate to you, but you still chose to take note of it and be offended by it.

I never wished to offend you and I truly wish you all the best with your weight loss journey. But I genuinely believe with any weight loss journey in any circumstances you have to start with a positive mindset and a healthy attitude. Please believe in yourself, you can do it!

Last edited:
Back