1. You can now easily put an SW award in your signature/posts like a smilie. Just look for the SW award tab after you tap on the smilie face.
    Dismiss Notice

Free Food that turns into syns.....

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by Lucylu79, 7 October 2011 Social URL.

1. Lucylu79

Lucylu79 Gold Member

Start Weight:
    Current Weight:
    Goal Weight:
    Slimming World
    ......when you cook/use as substitutes/or eat too much of!

Firstly, sorry if this anywhere else, if it is I do apologise 'in advance' as I couldn't find it ok!

Right, at my class on wed's we had a taster night and a lovely lady contributed some gorgeous Cous Cous Cakes!!! Lovely they were and I heard that they were 1 syn......I presumed this was because of the strawberry topping perhaps but I read that cous cous, when used as a flour substitute becomes syns. Is this correct and if so was the 1 syn an accurate one??

I then got to thinking about other things that aren't always as free as they seem, am I right in thinking that Pasta n Sauce is one when eaten 'too often'??

Any more tips ladies??

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. kingleds

kingleds Gold Member

SW all the way
    There are a few things in this category. Its called food abuse in SW terms.

Lasagne chips- to replace tortilla chips.
    SW Crisps - to replace normal crisp. not free even though its just potato
    I think when you make scones with smash you have to syn it too.
  4. BritMumInCanada

BritMumInCanada Gold Member

Slimming World
    It is when you use FREE foods to make a snack item that wouldnt otherwise be free.

So for instance, crisps are never going to be a free food. Okay you may of used free potatoes or free lasagne, but they are still a snack, not part of a meal and easy to over indulge on.

The other area to be cautious with is using free foods as a substitute for flour in recipes. So for instance smash in the scones (it is okay as a pizza base because it is part of a meal where a 1/3 superfree is included)

Making cakes from chickpeas, cous cous etc is using those foods as a subsitute for flour, so again are not going to be free. You syn them as in your basic syn guide, where it says when used as a substitute for flour and I believe cous cous is 4.5 syns per 28g uncooked when used in that way.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.