Free freezable soups wanted please

shelley831

Hi,
I would love to make a big batch of free soup which I could portion and freeze for when needed,Any ideas?(free on all days would be good)

Thanks

Well leek and potato soup is free on ee and green and so easy and yummy. Just cut up a couple of good sized leeks, put in the pan chopped onion with the leeks and sweat till soft. Add 2 litres of chicken or veg stock made up with 2 cubes, put in some garlic and boil. Reduce and add potato,chopped into little pieces as much or little as you want, and cook till the potato is soft. You could then eat straight away or blitz it with a hand blender which is what I do. Add salt and pepper to taste and there you go, and it freezes beautifully. I had some for my lunch today, gorgeous and filling too.

Butternut squash and sweet potato is my favourite - free on EE and green. I add chilli and cumin to mine and it is a lovely thick winter soup. Leek and potato is lovely too or a dhal (curry lentil soup). I don't have a recipe that I follow, I just throw things in but I'm sure you can find some online. If you prefer a book, the Covent Garden soup books are excellent and lots of the recipes can be adapted to SW.

I'm a firm believer in throwing some likely looking veg in a pot and seeing what happens! Add garlic, stock, herbs and spices and you can't go wrong really. Have fun with it! I find soup making really therapeutic. :)

I made a lovely soup for the first time ever today! I just sort of winged it:

1 leek
1 onion
1 red pepper
1 very very large sweet potato (maybe 2/3 normal ones?)
1 very large parsnip (2 normal ones..)
2 cloves of garlic
2 veg stock cubes
1 tbsp curry powder
1tbsp paprika
Salt and pepper

It's really nice and was dead easy. Just fill pot with water to cover the veg, add seasoning, boil and then I whizzed it up with the hand blended. Got 6 portions out of it!

SW do a book called the little book of soups and there are lots of lovely ideas there.

I've been buying the seasonal veg packs in tesco (currently 3 for £3) and blitzing them for soup. Per 1kg pack, I fry the onion in frylight, then add all the chopped veg, add 1.5 litres of veg stock made from stock cubes, add salt and pepper and cook for about 45 minutes - 1 hour. I let it cool and blitz it, with that amount of stock you get quite a thick soup and the carrot and parsnips makes it taste really sweet. Have been having it for free lunches at work - one pack will do 3/4 servings of soup

Back