Freecycle

StarGir1

Silver Member
Hi,

I may be moving soon so have some quite large and bulky furniture that I will no longer need sofas/dining table and chairs etc, it's all still in a good state but can't take it with me.

I would have liked to sell it to get some money to help with the moving costs but I can't deliver it myself as my little car isn't big enough to fit it in so I that leaves me with giving it away.

No one I know needs any furniture so I thought about advertising it on freecycle so wondered have any of you used freecycle before?

If anyone wants this have to collect this themselves so my only worry is about letting strangers in to my home when I am here on my own (I don't have anyone who could wait in with me) so just I would be interested in your opinions xx

If you sold it on eBay you wouldn't be expected to deliver it. The buyer collects. Same with selling via local classified ads.

When I have bought furniture from an eBay seller, I have always collected it myself. I never expected the seller to deliver - although occasionally they will, and charge extra for it.

Never used Freecycle - it varies from place to place so it is a good idea to have a look at your local one and see what sort of thing is offered. But be aware that something given away via freecycle just might turn up on eBay being sold by someone else!

Not sure what advice to offer about people coming to your house - it is always best to have someone else there. Could you perhaps talk to a neighbour who wouldn't mind popping round when a buyer is due to collect (there shouldn't be much waiting around if you specify a time).

Check out local charities too - some will collect. Or what about organising a garage sale?

I've used Freecycle in the past and preferred to deliver rather than have strangers come to my house. .That said, I didn't have big items. .Anna made a good suggestion about asking a friend / neighbour to pop in when you've arranged a specific time for someone to come & collect. Also, if you have a garage or the weather is in your favour, you don't need to let anyone beyond your threshold.

There are those using Freecycle who will take anything because they will pass it on via E-Bay but there are genuine ones who could really do with a bit of a hand.

Anna again made a brill suggestion (if you decide not to sell on E-Bay or privately in your local paper) - there are now a plethora of charities who will come & collect items to either sell on or pass on to those they know are needy.

Thanks for the replies eveyone, I live in a flat on the second floor so unfortunately I haven't got anywhere to store my items other than in here and as they're bulky I can't manage them on the stairs myself so would have to let them in, I have an ebay account but have never used it so not sure how it works, is it easy? I could really do with the money so if selling is an option I would take it.

I wasn't aware that some charities will come and collect so I will definately look in to that as at least then I know it'll all be going to a good cause if I run out of other options and I will also look in to advertising it in my local paper.

Freecycle sounded interesting to me as the items are still fine and could still be used and I like the thought of helping someone out when in need

Try ringing your local council as they generally do have a warehouse of furniture that they sell really cheaply to people on benefits, or homeless people that have just been housed, they always collect it.
Also eBay or gumtree if you wanted to make some extra pennies, but i totally get not wanting strangers in your house (i always specify a time when DH is home as can't be doing with that!)

I prefer gumtree over ebay, because you lose a lot in fee's to both ebay and paypal, be aware with gumtree, people will always haggle so if you want, say, £50 for something, put it up for £70, so when the person haggles you can come down a bit/ They think they have a bargain and you get what you wanted it the first place and everyone is happy :)

*to use gumtree, put "gumtree kent" (for example, whatever your county is change it to that) and then you can list things for free. Tis really simple.
Good luck whatever you choose to do :)

Thanks Pixie-Gem those tips about Gumtree are great :) I also didn't know about ebay and paypal fees as I'd never used it so that is good to know but I will be look in to Gumtree.

I contacted my local council in the past about furniture but they wanted me to pay them to take it away so I didn't go down that route as thought it was a rip off for me to pay them and then they would sell it x

Thanks Pixie-Gem those tips about Gumtree are great :) I also didn't know about ebay and paypal fees as I'd never used it so that is good to know but I will be look in to Gumtree.

I contacted my local council in the past about furniture but they wanted me to pay them to take it away so I didn't go down that route as thought it was a rip off for me to pay them and then they would sell it x

Welcome, and stoopid council! Some are really good, and then others can be funny, but if you could do with the money then chuck it on gumtree, people will either ring you or email you (if they email, its sent through gumtree so they never get your email address) but some folks like to ring.
And if you wanted to feel a little good too, then maybe choose the more expensive things to sell, and the cheaper bits to give to the charity shop (in good nick of course) and then it's a win win :D extra pennies and some good karma to boot :D x

I think that is the way forward, moving will be expensive so every penny I can get will help so I think Gumtree is the way forward (love that they won't get your real email address), so what I may do is advertise it on Gumtree and if no one is interested then I will use freecycle/charity.

Thank you all so much for your help :)

Back