Freezer Eat Down!

jaylou

Gold Member
Been listening to Chris Evans this week (as I always do) and he's been talking about a "Freezer Eat Down" - I thought I'd do this.

My freezer really needs defrosting and is full of stuff, I buy reduced items, stuff for the kids etc and all we do is eat the top section and not the bottom!

So, I'm not buying anything to go in my freezer until it's empty - I may have to be creative but I bet I'll save some money!

I've found pots of soup, curry, chilli, bananas (going soft, sliced and frozen!), blackcurrants, breadcrumbs, lemon juice, herbs, chicken, more chicken, mince, cauli, spinach, peas, veg, tubs of unidentified casseroles and much more!

So, anyone else have a freezer full to bursting who wants to run it down? I think it's a cracking idea :D

Funny you should say that Jaylou. I was only looking in mine yesterday and thinking how much stuff needed using up..............frozen fresh peppers, soups, haddock, a huge meaty ham bone ( for more soup) salmon, sausages,chops,stir fry veg tomato sauces for pasta made when tomatoes were mega cheap and sundry frozen ready mades..............

I will be joining you in your freezer count down and as I am in the U.K. next week the extra dosh will help a very tight budget go a bit further................

Great thread dear friend !!!!

Haha, I WISH I could do a freezer eat-down! My whole thing packed up over the weekend leaving me with a kitchen full of soggy, rotten food! :( But yeah, this is a FAB idea, there are always some amazing dinners that can be made out of things lurking in the freezer!

Brilliant thread!

One of my random casseroles has turned out to be pork and paprika stew, this was very nice when I made it, so I'm adding some spinach (from the freezer) and having it with potato wedges for dinner!

Many moons ago when I lived in London, I was struggling to make ends meet. My salary would come in and I would pay off my credit card bill each month and have nothing to live on for the rest of the month, dipping into my overdraft each time. I went to the bank to ask for a loan - not very much, it was only about £300 - to pay off my credit card so that I could stay in credit. They told me the least they would lend was £500 so I said, s*d it and went home and worked out that, after taking out money for petrol I had £15 a week to live on for the next month. Enough to buy essential bits & pieces, like bread, milk and fruit and veg. I made a list of everything in the freezer and worked out meal plans. Some strange combinations at the end, but I did it and managed to get my finances back in order!

Good luck ladies, I'm sure you can do it.

Last edited:
What a good idea! I'm exactly the same: just use the stuff at the top of the freezer and then fill it up again. Must go digging to see what's in there

Have just had a rummage in the freezer and found some lambs liver oh yum !!! Both Paul and I love lambs liver with onions and loads of onion gravy to smother the mashed potatoes. I also found some roasted parsnips . I think they should be pretty good with the liver................

Thanks Jay for starting this thread. I reckon you have added at least £50 to my holiday spending money lol !!! Shhhhhh don't tell Paul :D

I've been trying to use up stuff in my freezer since the thread frugal feb started but have been useless at it as always seem to have to buy stuff that needs to go in it and then it starts all over again with loads of things still in there since before Feb! Must try harder!

LOL !!!!! Yes must try even harder Emsie.......just think how rich you will be if you eat up all those hidden treasures !!!

Brilliant idea, we have what we call a 'bitza' day every so often in our house as we alsways seem to have odd things hanging around in the freezer so everyone has something different for dinner one night.

Does make some odd combinations sometimes. But think it may happen soon.

I've been having frozen spinach with all my meals (cooked of course!), even goes well with poached eggs!

I've been having frozen spinach with all my meals (cooked of course!), even goes well with poached eggs!

Fantastic with poached eggs and a bit of ham or bacon..............just love spinach...................did you grow it yourself ???

Nope, it's the frozen block stuff you can buy. For some reason I can't grow it, it doesn't like my soil!

I am off to rumage in the freezers for tonights meal. I must say I am quite enjoying the challange I have set myself.

Will be back to report on todays *freezer* menu.

Do a stock take of whats in there and share with us and let us know how you use it all? Thats what I might try and do x

Actually there is not a lot left now in the way of main meal stuff. It is surprising how fast it gets used up once you make up your mind to live out of the freezer.

I have found pork chops for tonight and apart from that there are a couple of ready made lasagne's that will be perfect for ater work tomorrow. There is various kinds of fish which I will eat as Paul is not a fish lover, if it is not in batter forget it. There is a pizza he can have, there are sausages, loads of quorn products, quorn meatballs, sausages,burgers, mince a joint . They will all be eaten up as Paul does eat quorn with me. Loads of stir fry veg and 2 large containers of home made tomato sauce for pasta, I feel a meatball in tomato sauce with pasta will be on the menu in the next few days...................several containers of SW friendly soups that can be used as a base for casseroles etc. The ham bone is still there and will stay there until this lot of soup is used. So many sundry items i.e. WW meals........I reckon at least another weeks worth of eating.

Go for it Emsie............you can treat yourself to something really nice with the money you save.

We r doing it at the moment. Amazing how cheap a weekly shop can be whn planning freezer meals. Im terrible at remembering to take the meal out to defrost! Took out lamb meat balls for tonight.

Hubby came in from getting the cars out earlier in the week telling me really excitedly about the Chris Evans "Freezer Eat Down", and suggested that we try it, as there is no room for a fly in our freezer, and as soon as there is a space it is filled:eek:

Like for example, there are four lots of meat for main meals in the fridge at the moment, which are dated Monday, and as me and the eldest are out tonight, so only a ready made curry for the other two, I can only use to lots over the weekend, thus needing to either put two lots in the space for a fly in my own freezer, or extend my stock in my Mother's freezer...seven doors away!

I enjoyed the Frugal February challenge, and changed the way a shopped big time, but I do buy way too much meat, as if it is looking good, I buy it, in case we have a seige or similar, and I can't get any to feed the tribe :8855:

So, going to join this challenge, but of course will still have to buy certain things, like peas and magnums, but will attempt the "Freezer Eat Down!"

Only worrying thing is, how long will it take to eat it?

I enjoyed the Frugal February challenge, and changed the way a shopped big time, but I do buy way too much meat, as if it is looking good, I buy it, in case we have a seige or similar, and I can't get any to feed the tribe :8855:

Ah, this is me as well..... I often look in the cupboards and wonder why I have endless tins of beans, soup, tomatoes, grains, pulses and of course, that's not including the freezer! It's just you never know when you'll be snowed in or the shops close or there is indeed a seige!!!

I heard once that you should only replace something once that thing has run out - so don't buy more pasta until you have no pasta left, same goes for beans etc....

I reckon I could buy only fresh fruit, veg and dairy for weeks and still be able to feed us all. It may be odd food combos but it would save so much money!!

Back