Fried chips

tiamaria0405

Just wondering how many calories are in 100g of chips done in the deep fat fryer?

You need to weigh them *once* they're deep fried, as they soak up oil from the frying which increases their weight. The statistics I found at

CalorieKing.com.au - Food Data. Nutrition information about your favourite food. fat, fibre, protein and more

says that 1gram of hot chips, once fried, is equal to approx 2.46 calories. So, if, for example, frying 100 grams of hot chips increased their weight to 150 grams (e.g. if they'd soaked up 50 grams of oil), they would be approx 369 calories. If you weigh them and then go to that website, you can input the grams of the hot chips and it will tell you how many calories are in them.

Remember that it's the oil, not the potatoes, which contain lots of calories (although it's good not to have *too many* carbs). So, if you're cooking at home, home-made oven chips are a lot healthier :) I love making sweet potato chips in the oven...I add a bit of oil to toss them in with some salt, pepper and other spices...but they're still lower calorie than deep frying. Then you get extra calories for a home-made dip or some sweet-chilli sauce to go with them ;)

Calorieking.com.au is also a good website to search for other foods, so it's worth adding to your favourites :D

Back