Fruit / veg of the week club.

ColJack

Gold Member
I think it would be a good idea to try a new fruit or veg every week.
You never know if you like it until you try it.

That said if anyone has any recipes or ideas how to cook / prepare / use said fruit or veg then please post them.

This week I propose we should try dragon fruit.

I saw it on another post and it intrigued me so I will be going to get one or two shortly.

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

That's a really good idea, I never used to eat fruit n veg so have eaten quite a few new things recently, but dragon fruit sounds intriguing! Any ideas on prep etc, or do u just eat it as it is?

Oh yes, discovered these in Asda, they taste lovely. About 3 quid for 2 though.

I just ate it with a chopped apple and yoghurt.

Cool colour inside too lol.

:)

I have tried dragon fruit and didnt really like it.. i think it may be becasuse inside it looks rather strange! I am very fussy with the look and texture of food and this really puts me off dragon fruit. It's worth trying though and I will probably try it again, I just need to get over the look of it lol

I am in the Vale of Evesham today and have just bought some asparagus which had been cut from the field just ten minutes before - can't get fresher than that! It's not new to me, but I only ever eat it when it is in season, so it is the first of the year for me and I am so looking forward to it. I will just steam it and have is with a little bit of butter.

Dragon fruit does look a bit weird but I love the colours in a fruit salad. Taste is not that exciting, I think, but I like the texture and it goes well with other fruit.

Does it make a difference if it's the red or White one?
Didn't get one yet. None left in sainsbury today. :(
I'll pop into tesco tomorrow and see.

Never tried asparagus either so that might go on the list.

Asparagus is great, but it makes your wee wee smell really strong afterwards, the affect is almost instantaneous - me and my friends had an "asparagus wee off" once after a dinner party - good times! I won for the quickest asparagus wee delivery - TMI? Quite possibly. Am I gross? Yes. Are my friends and I weird for smelling each other's wee after we'd been? Most definitely!

I would like to add plaintain to the table, I have only tried it once in Mexico when it was deep fried and it only tasted of dirty oil. I am going to buy one and steal a tostone recipe that Ermintrude or HoneyOc recommended.

Char

I am ashamed to say I have never had butternut squash... I think I'm going to try again at the weekend, any recommendations on how to cook etc? Ive never even prepared one!

Iv been doing this so far iv discovered I like, blueberries, corghette, butternut Squash, asparagus but I can't stand Mango or Cleriac im hoping to try Dragon Fruot this week

Sarahaa, I love this stuff I cut a whole one up into bite sized bits, put it in an ovan tray with a little olive oil and frylite and some dry mixed herbs. Get your hands in and move/toss it around until its all covers and put in the oven until soft and slightly brown.
I usually put in @ 180 for about 30 mins.

Last edited:
This is a great idea! I'm such a fuss pot and half the time I haven't even tried it. Recently realised I quite like black olives but not on theor own, whereas sauces and such are good :)

Finally got one. ( wasn't paying £3+ for 2 in case I don't like them. ).
I'll let you know.

Hmmmm.
Not sure.

Easy to prepare and eat, just slice in half and scoop it out a bit like a melon.

Texture is similar to a ripe pear, soft and sort of grainy, not fibrous like a melon.
The copious number of seeds make it a little bit gritty but not unpleasant.
Taste wise it was a little bit sharp but maybe I didn't let it ripen?
No real taste that I can compare it to.

Would I eat it again? - yes but not at that price.
If it was readily available and as cheap as apples then I could see it becoming part of my regular fruit intake.

Good to know Col. I don't think I will bother with the faff. They seem to me like a flashy person - all bells and whistles on the outside, not much going on on the inside! I will stick to my apples.

I tried the Plaintain, I think it was too ripe (it was pretty black). It was hard to peel - I forgot about them and they were overcooked - I never like it, they tasted of burn! I totally blame my cooking skills (or lack of them) and the fact I left it to blacken. I will try again as they are not expensive (I got 2 big plaintains for £1).

Do you think I would have to syn it because of baking it? It is a fruit, but then again it is also supposed to be a thing that you cook, like yams etc. Hmm, not sure. Anyone?

Cx

Plantain is a veg.
Just because it looks like a banana it's not a fruit.
It's in the "starchy vegetables & pulses" section of the yellow book.

Asparagus is nice steamed and then in place of toast soldiers with a boiled egg!

To prepare hold by the end and about half way down the stalk and snap it like you would a twig, it will snap just at the woody inedible bit.

If you have a griddle they look pretty cooked on that!

Back