Funny smelling bars?

spangles

Bouncy Castle
Admittedly I have a cold, but I just ate a cranberry bar and it smelled really strongly of fish! It tasted fine, thank goodness, but even the wrapper now smells fishy. Like smoked salmon.

It hasn't been anywhere where it could get contaminated with the smell of fish. I'm quite perplexed?

I suppose i'm just asking if anyone else has suddenly found their packs smell odd, or whether i've started having olfactory hallucinations.:confused:

Lol I only have the cranberry bars and they smell fine! They don't smell of much actually... did you notice the smell when you got them from your cdc?

No - tho she put it straight in the bag and it's been there since, hanging up in my cupboard at work.

it's only the inside of the wrapper that smelled, i think.

maybe i've got a brain tumour...

a-ha.

olfactory hallucination is called 'phantosmia'.

wikipedia said:
"Phantosmia can also be attributed to overactive olfactory receptor neurons (ORNs) or the loss of inhibitory neurons brought on by a sinus infection or some other type of head cold. These overactive ORNs could be activated by some other input through a fluke in wiring where they would normally remain inactive or inhibited, so a signal is sent to the olfactory bulb when no stimulus is present. The inhibitory neurons are also a part of the pathway just described. If extraneous information that is normally stopped at these impasses is allowed to continue along the pathway, the brain will interpret a signal that has no intrinsic value. This will provide a sensation without a proper stimulus."

That'll be it then. how bizarre!

I remember someone else complaining of fishy bars on here! Did you eat it? I love smoked salmon :D

i ate it anyway, yes. it tasted fine.

spangles said:
a-ha.

olfactory hallucination is called 'phantosmia'.

That'll be it then. how bizarre!

That's exactly the explanation I was just about to give........... x

Back