Extra Easy Gaining weight on slimming world

lolly1981

I've always followed weight watchers in the past and have been very successful however I've heard people rave about SW and with me wanting to cook more from scratch I thought I'd give SW a whirl, I've been following Extra Easy for about 3 weeks now and as much as I enjoy the cooking etc I weighed myself yesterday and have gained weight?
I feel like I'm eating enough superfree foods and even eating my fruit before I tuck into my breakfast cereal - can anyone help? I'm getting rather depressed about this
I've not got masses of weight to lose but the more I gain the worse I feel :(

I'm doing it online at the moment, because I became a gold member at WW I almost resent paying to go, sounds bad also I guess but I also have scales at home so know where I'm at
I use my HEX's for cereal as I eat fruit and fibre with skimmed milk
I just cant understand why I found it so easy to lose at WW and struggling so much here but enjoying the food so much more
STS is so frustrating especially when you've stuck to it but I'll be patient and hopefully shift it by Xmas

Please post a couple of day's food diary's so we can see what you are eating.

Totally agree with the above ^^^

I'm also an ex WW and have a gold membership but became fed up (had enough of counting and couldnt get on with simply filling) hence moving back to SW (i did it when I was pregnant)

I only have 1 - 1.5 stone to lose and I have found in the past I'm best sticking to Red/Green days. For me I'm not a great success at Extra Easy ( i am envious of those who can make it work)

Things I would consider....

Are you eating until you are full?
Are you having all your syns?
Are you making sure you have a 1/3 superfree with every meal?

Would you consider looking at Red/Green days?

I generally have cereal for breakfast using the HEX with a bowl of fruit and a yoghurt, (fat free)
I use my syns on crisps / cereal bars throughout the day mainly
for lunch is generally a jacket potato with beans / ham and lots of salad or salad with egg, beans, ham etc
then for dinner I usually cook a SW recipe with salad or a jacket potato
Admittedly I don't drink nearly enough water - does anyone think that will really make a lot of difference?

water will deffo make a huge difference. If it helps there are loads of free apps that you can get to track your drinks to help you keep the levels up :)

Thank you, I will up my water intake straight away and have a look for some apps - any ones you'd say are better than others :)
I'm also going to start snacking on things like carrots / celery and see if that moves the weight

I use one called water your body, there is one called waterlogged which is apparently good but only on iPhone. ...

I generally have cereal for breakfast using the HEX with a bowl of fruit and a yoghurt, (fat free)
I use my syns on crisps / cereal bars throughout the day mainly
for lunch is generally a jacket potato with beans / ham and lots of salad or salad with egg, beans, ham etc
then for dinner I usually cook a SW recipe with salad or a jacket potato
Admittedly I don't drink nearly enough water - does anyone think that will really make a lot of difference?

If cereal if HEXB where is HEXA??

There also seems to be a lot of salad and a lot of jacket potatoes. I would start introducing more veg. Fresh veg, frozen veg, whatever, make it 1/3 to bulk up your meals for EE and maybe switch one of the spuds for pasta or rice if you feel you need these to fill you up. How many syns are you eating per day?

Thinking about things however, with the crisps, cereal bars, jackets spuds and cereal for breakfast you're having a carb fest. Maybe cut back on the carbs a bit. Change the syns to a chocolate treat or a glass of wine, or hot chocolate, or some additional ingredients - oil, cheese, salad dressing etc and I think you will see a difference or try a red day with limited carbs. I think this may be the root of the problem for you, good luck :)

Thank you so much for this response, I did wonder if I was having too many carbs and although the plan says 'unlimited' they are quite bulky and with not enough water it may well be sitting on my stomach for too long etc
I have milk for the HEXA
I will try and cut out the crisps too and see if that helps,
usually have 10 (ish) syns - should I cut down ?
I have a bit of a weekend of going out so will go for it as of Monday and see how I get on next week - praying for a nice loss :)

Is the 'red' also referred to as 'original' ? Also on the website if a recipie only is listed as free on extra easy plan how do I know the syn value for the other plans (eg the best bolognes only lists as EE) if I was to eat without the pasta and have a lot of veggies instead

Last edited:
Is the 'red' also referred to as 'original' ? Also on the website if a recipie only is listed as free on extra easy plan how do I know the syn value for the other plans (eg the best bolognes only lists as EE) if I was to eat without the pasta and have a lot of veggies instead

red is original. ... I'm pretty sure if you ditched the pasta your bolognese would class as red x

So, I am planning on smashing it this week, I am still following EE plan today but will limit my carbs, I'm type 1 diabetic also so ditching all together is a no go for me
I've got my water planned and also a lot more veg etc
Will see how I get on - hoping for a good loss :)

Thank you so much for this response, I did wonder if I was having too many carbs and although the plan says 'unlimited' they are quite bulky and with not enough water it may well be sitting on my stomach for too long etc
I have milk for the HEXA
I will try and cut out the crisps too and see if that helps,
usually have 10 (ish) syns - should I cut down ?
I have a bit of a weekend of going out so will go for it as of Monday and see how I get on next week - praying for a nice loss :)

10 syns is fine. In fact you could try 15 if you've only just started. I can't see your stats so I don't know how much weigh and what you have to lose.

Carbs are unlimited on EE but it's easy to get carried away. I would try measuring your carbs and sticking to that amount for every meal, it makes life easier, otherwise you can easily have a plateful. Try the Bolognese with lots of veg and just a little pasta or none at all. Limit the crisps and try mixing the syns have some as treats and have some as extras such as cheese on your Bolognese or oil to cook with etc.

The red plan is the original plan and some people have better losses on red or green and some people just generally mix the days. I like the flexibility of EE. You should be able to find the syn values of food from syns online or in the syns directory and should be able to convert most recipes. Hope that helps.

Thanks for all of those ideas also, I had my 2litres of water yesterday also and a LOT of veg / fruit with all my meals and less carbs than usual
I will see how I get on the rest of the week

hi lolly1981, just looking at how much weight you have to loose it doesn't sound like much and sounds like you are probably quite slim already. when i was close to target last time i did slimming world about 4 years ago (i have the same target weight as you) it took me literally AGES to get the last 7lb off. stick at it, sounds like you're doing pretty good anyway

I've gained that half stone within a matter of months - not good for my size tens ! I know I'm in no way fat but you know when you're just not comfortable in your clothes .....that's where I'm at now
I did go down to 9 stone and to be perfectly honest that's where I'd like to get back to - just half stone at a time
last 2 days I've done all I should be doing, cutting down on the carbs, drinking water, 1/3 of my plate is superfree food - even eating superspeed inbetween meals

Back