Gallstones

CarlaLilly

Hi there, I just wanted to share my story:

I went on a VLCD - lighter life, Cambridge and more recently Exante as a way to sort myself out without having to think about the complications of food planning and exercise programmes - I am crap at both of these which has led to me getting obese.

being fat has serious health issues so I thought - let me get this off quickly then work out a way of keeping it off.

There is no- way of me knowing if the crash diet was responsible as being obese also causes gallstones - but I was rushed into hospital with jaundice back in June caused by a duct blocked with a gallstone. I have since had my gall bladder whipped out and I am on the road to recovery.

HAVING GALLSTONES IS BEYOND PAINFULL :eek:

Since then I have found out that crash diets can cause gall stone complications (as can being fat,female and having children which also includes me)

I am not preaching and I don't know the exact cause of mine but I now need to look after my body as I have let it down, used,abused and neglected it and I am paying the price ( I have only ever been to hospital to give birth), I now need to follow a healthy eating plan ( feels like climbing Everest to me) and exercise once I have recovered.

I wish everyone the best in your journeys to losing weight - it's tough and we all need support, I just wanted to write this as a way of saying make sure you know of all the risks as well as the advantages.

GOOD LUCK :) TO YOU ALL xx

You can get gallstones on any diet. I know 2 people who had extremely bad attacks. One had lost 7 stones on WW. The other has never dieted in her life.

Vlcds arent the only cause and I dont think scaremongering helps anyone

Some people can just be more prone to gallstones than others. I know two people who have had their gallbladders out recently. One, a quite portly man in his 40's with poor diet who likes a drink, and the other, a girl in her mid-thirties, slim and fit and a vegetarian - not similar in any way. Who is to say that if these people hadn't gone on crash diets they would have developed them anyway?

I developed gallstones after losing 2st on Weight Watchers and although my consultant didn't say explicitly that it was the diet that caused it he said that rapid weight loss is a well known cause. And whilst I can 100% say that my gallstone attacks were the most painful thing I have ever experienced (apart from the gallbladder infection which led to a week stuck in hospital!) I don't think you can not diet for fear of getting them and despite the pain I went through I'm definitely better off for losing the weight :) and I have my stones in a pot to remind me of the experience ... What more could a girl want haha.

Back