Gambling with measurements for a bridesmaid dress

Hi There,

I've been asked to be a bridesmaid for my brothers wedding in July 2012. I am very excited, and planned on loosing a whole bunch of weight before then. I also have a holiday planned for May 2012 so there are double incentives to loose weight.

However, my future sister in law wants to get my measurements NOW for the dress as it's being made. It's the most beautiful dress ever and as she is a size 6/8 she hasn't picked with the concept of much curves!!

I am currently a size 16, and planned to be a size 10 for summer next year.

But, this leaves me with the dilemma - what do I say for the measurements of the dress?!?

I know I have the time & SW is great - but I also have never been a size 10 in my life so have no idea how realistic it is!! Is it worth gambling for a ridiculously expensive dress AND if I do gamble, how do I know what measurements to give

Help!!

I always errr on the side of caution!! A dress can always be taken in - but major problems occur if it needs to be extended! x

If you order a size 16 and then later it is massive on you you will be able to see how much you have lost!!

I would say give her your current neasurements but remember that a dress can be ruined if it is taken in too much.

I find that if I put too much pressure on myself then I end up binging. If you give your measurements now there is no pressure and all the wieght and inches you lose will be really obvious!

If I were you, I'd give her my current measurements but also let her know that you are planning on losing weight. I expect she'll be able to get advice from her dressmaker on the best way forward - I bet the dressmaker deals with lots of clients with the same dilemma!

I have experience of this, when I was getting married my measurements for my wedding dress were for a size 24 :eek: I asked the lady to order me a size 16 as I planned on being that size for my wedding, she said she couldn't she had to order the size that I was measuring at the time, I said ok I would get the dress taken in to whatever size was needed come the time.....that actually never happened, a year later I was still a size 24 for my wedding day :sigh:

Its up to you what measurements you give, but make sure they are realistic, I had all the best intentions of loosing weight for my big day but it just didn't happen. I hope you are more determined than I was at the time, I let myself down BIG TIME, I hate my wedding photos and don't show them to anyone!!!

A dress can be taken in 2 sizes so I would give a 12/14 to be on the safe side!

My brother is getting married next year and i'd love to be a size 10, I saw the most gorgeous dress yesterday but won't get it because I have no idea what size I will be, I might be happy with a 12...who knows!! :)

A dress can be taken in 2 sizes so I would give a 12/14 to be on the safe side!

Thats what I was going to say, go for a 12/14 as they only like to take them in 2 sizes. If you give them current measurements & you really do trim down there's only so much they'll be able to take in!

Are there other dresses the dressmaker is making? Maybe those could be done first and yours last.

I hired my wedding dress but actually put on weight from when I chose it in the June and when I picked it up in Sept a week before the wedding it was very tight and I had to live on 3 slimfasts a day and lost a stone in a week to get the dress on !!!!

Don't risk it being too small for you. Whilst it is realistic to expect to loose that much weight in time, you never know what will happen.

Could you not explain to the bride you want to loose loads of weight before the wedding & would like to leave it til after christmas before ordering the dress? That way you will be able to have a better idea of your weight loss & be less likely to end up in a dress either too big or too small to altered properly.

Don't gamble. Dresses can be taken in much more easily than they can be let out. My wedding dress was taken in a lot as it was a 16 and I was a 12 in the bodice when I got married. You can have any dress altered by a decent seamstress. The dress I'm wearing in my profile was altered from a 12 to a small 10.

Get the dress ordered in the size you are now, the dress orders dont actually go in to the manufacturers till a few months before so chances are it can be changed.

Lucia Lucia said:
Are there other dresses the dressmaker is making? Maybe those could be done first and yours last.

I hired my wedding dress but actually put on weight from when I chose it in the June and when I picked it up in Sept a week before the wedding it was very tight and I had to live on 3 slimfasts a day and lost a stone in a week to get the dress on !!!!

This is exactly what I was going to suggest! I was bridesmaid for my baby sis 3 years ago, and as they were having 3 1/2 bridesmaids(half being little flower girl) my sis told them to make the others first and mine last! By which point I had lost about a stone, and then they still had to make a few adjustments in the month or so leading up :) x

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-weight-loss-diary/187905-jos-journey-infinity-beyond.html

Order it for the the size you are now. From my own experience i did similar for my sisters wedding. I didnt lose the wright, the dress was too tight and the whole thing spoiled the day for me. I have every faith you will shift the weight but you dont know what can happen.

How about having a lace up back fitted - thats what I have done for my bee maids. This way you can tighten it up - or loosen it out. Depending on the design of the dress, this can give you flexibility in size.

xxx

Thanks for your advice on this ladies. Eventually the decision was taken out of my hands - I'd faffed around debating and the bride (lives in Canada) had to make a snap decision because she wanted to buy the dresses in the sale. She ordered me a size 14. Which probably the best thing because gives me a chance to slim down but also some bargaining room - they will be made & then we go and get them fitted so hopefully it can be adjusted then.... fingers crossed!!

probably the best all round, good luck with the weight loss x

Back