Garlic as a diuretic

Discussion in 'Atkins Diet' started by Sarah_P, 29 March 2009 Social URL.

1. Sarah_P

Sarah_P Happy to be slim at last

Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Diet:
    Low Carb
    I mentioned on another thread that I had read that garlic was a good natural diuretic. I had been retaining water earlier in the week and was all bloated. For the last three days I have eaten lots of garlic in my evening meal and the bloating has gone and the scales are moving again. It could be coincidence, but I don't think it is. Having done some more reading, they are good for ridding the body of all sorts of toxins also. So for all of you out there retaining water, it might be worth a go.

I am going to get some ouderless garlic capsules and take them daily I think. Will keep you posted on how I get on.

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. IslandBreeze

IslandBreeze Castaway

I think it works by helping keep the bacteria balance in your gut right - it kills off the baddies and helps the goodies flourish. A lot of the wrong bacteria cause bloating. At least that's what a nutritionist once told me - she also said the most effective way to take garlic is first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, at least 30 minutes before your breakfast - she said it works best then. Not a pleasant idea but if the capsules are tasteless I guess that would be easier.

4. IslandBreeze

IslandBreeze Castaway

Hmm - just thinking I might buy some capsules after I've had my operation. I haven't eaten onions or garlic for months as everything I eat comes back up and regurgitated garlic is pretty unpleasant. But after the op I should be able to have them again - yummy!

5. Sarah_P

Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Diet:
    Low Carb
    Yeah I figure it's worth a go. I love garlic, but have a lot of meetings this week and don't want to go stinking of garlic to all of them.

6. woof

woof Alway see the love x

I lub garlic also. Im happy to stink lol

Woofy X

7. sukie sue

sukie sue this is My time to shine!

Start Weight:
    16st0lb
    Current Weight:
    12st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    3st4lb(20.54%)
    Diet:
    lighter life /slim and save
    gonna give it a bash ladies , see how i go :0) LOL ill try owt !!!

8. Sarah_P

Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Diet:
    Low Carb
    Hi Sukie, how's you?

Had garlic again tonight!!! I am going to stink at my meeting tomorrow, but don't care. Don't want bloating! Off to health shop tomorrow to get some capsules.

9. sukie sue

Start Weight:
    16st0lb
    Current Weight:
    12st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    3st4lb(20.54%)
    Diet:
    im good (ish )
    not so green this evening , sat all day to do 2 essays for my cert ed so was feeling very tense and had some wine :eek: so suddenly needed something sweet so ive had some 0.2g chocolate covered toffee and ive made some carbophobia cake :eek:
    so didnt need to do that given how hard ive worked at being green:0)!! well hey ho its low carb at least and tomorrow s another day,:p

10. Sarah_P

Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Diet:
    Low Carb
    I am sure it won't hurt. It's only one thing and sometimes you just need something. As you say, tomorrow is another day. :D

11. sukie sue

Start Weight:
    16st0lb
    Current Weight:
    12st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    3st4lb(20.54%)
    Diet:
    lol yup im done beating myself up sarah , ill just keep plodding allong , i really like atkins for lifetime eating so giving up now isnt going to get me anywhere is it ? when you give up i just think youre back on the 'merry go round '

12. Sarah_P

Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Diet:
    Low Carb
    I think that's a great approach. And you have changed shape dramatically, which has to be a good thing.

13. sukie sue

Start Weight:
    16st0lb
    Current Weight:
    12st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    3st4lb(20.54%)
    Diet:
    oh yeah , its just way to easy to forget , i tell people to keep looking back to see just how far they've come but all too often i forget to do just that ! ive come so far in 2 and a bit years and its good for me to hold on that , christ ! i run half marathons for fun !!!! who would have thought !!!LOL

14. Jim

Jim Big Boy

Start Weight:
    25st0lb
    Current Weight:
    13st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st1lb
    Lost(%):
    11st13lb(47.71%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Atkins Maintenance
    I love Garlic, and I pee for Britain, never linked the two before though. :D

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.