Geetwos Weight Loss Diary

Geetwo

A warm hello to everyone!

Ok firstly i decided to re upload this in a new thread.. t to make it the start of my official weight loss diary / bog and this is where i will update my progress as time goes by

About me..

Hi,.. my name is Stuart and i have been battling my weight like many of you maybe, ever since i can remember.. As an emotional eater, i would indulge with takeaways and sweet treats, choccie and

cream cakes but i would basically eat with any emotion.. if i was happy, sad, worried, stressed, i would reach for something bad.

I would get stuck in the sugar rush loop, shovelling junk into my mouth and then when the sugar crashed.. id do it again. I had no self control and if i saw something i wanted i would simply have it.

I loved food and merrily put on a stone each year from the age of 14 matching my age with my weight!..

My life from 13 up was hard.. my parents both remarried and my new step mum was the worst person id ever known, violent, dominieering.. demented.. and made my life hell. My father and her would always have awful fights that still haunt me to today. i was also dealing with the usual school problems where your the fat kid and generally trying to get through life as we all do! My mum was a recovering alchoholic and that played a massive part to my eating as i would be forever worried about her and if she was ok, or if i would get an answer whenever i picked up the phone.

At 20 my mum died due to alcoholism, and this event sent me spiralling out of control. I had been dealing with this issue for all my life, but there were dry patches also, for years even and in those she was the best mum in the world.

I spiralled out of control, unable to feel any real emotion i went on a mission of self destruction.. the food increased along with a careless lifestyle not giving a damn what i put my body through..

drinking, partying,smoking etc etc.. i simply didn't care and 3 more years passed and i was sitting at 24.5 stone at 23 years old. So unfit 10 mins of brief exercise or walking would exhaust me.. No clothes fit me and everything was painful and awkward, i would dread sitting on a seat for fear of it breaking! and i would also notice for the first time since my school days people would call out hurtful things, its easy to pick on the fat guy! and my school days of being bullied was suddenly here again in my adult life.

It was at 24 years old and at 25 stone that all of a sudden, like a lightning bolt it hit me.. i don't want to be this guy any-more. i don't want to be fat, unfit, wheezing, sweating all the time, being called names by teens on the street, squeezing into my car , having to pre plan anything i was doing to see if my weight would cause me a problem.. id had enough..

By chance i came across a advert for the Atkins Diet on tv and it really appealed to me! the ideal of eating fatty foods and loosing weight!! too good to be true! i excitedly bought the original VHS tapes and set.. i forget where from but from the minute i started watching i was excited, i felt like there was a way out..

I HAD tried dieting in the past, before my mum.. i had tried not to eat crappy foods, id also tried slim fast, weight watchers, the cabbage diet, and a few others i cant even remember the name off, but

nothing would stick.. i would ALWAYS be hungry.. so so hungry, and miserable or just not be able to sustain them through a lack of motivation or will power.

In the first week on Atkins, i lost a stone... i was over the moon and 3 months went past and 2 more stone off.. i was literally through eating eggs, bacon, steak etc as the original diet was less diverse and

more hardcore! but it works!.. sadly along with the initial success was the boredom.. i became bored of greasy food and also of cooking.. i wasn't a very good cook, am still not!.. but it got to a point where i couldn't stomach another fried anything .. and came off the diet..

I spent the next 4 years battling with normal diet and exercise.. believing that was the only way to properly loose weight as i was told my doctors nutritionists etc etc.. i bought a rowing machine and a cross trainer and did between 2 and 4 hours of exercise a day 5 days a week.. i lost a nearly 2 stone in 4 years!! but all wasn't so straight forward.. i was playing games with myself.. for instance on the way home i would buy 1500 cals of junk and scoff the lot.. then get home and work it off.. this was in secret, i had a partner at the time who was clearly bored of me and my size and didn't keep it to

themselves so that was motivation for me to change, but i was also unhappy with the relationship for reasons i wont bore you with.. so i would eat in the shadows to make myself feel better.. i think to be honest i am not sure if i was in complete control.. it would be like a switch would go off and i would have to go get something junk wise to eat...maybe i had an addiction too.

i got down to 19 stone.. well.. 18 stone 12 pounds to be precise and i JUST couldn't move the weight.. not surprisingly really considering i was sabotaging myself, but i didnt feel i could control it.

During that time one day i had a argument with my partner, a bad one.. things were thrown.. and it all came out, i was basically told i was a vile fat ugly disgusting pig, and they were no longer in love with me.. i was bigger when they met me but they told me they didn't see me for as big as i was for a year or so.. possible i guess i mean i was HARD TO MISS!!! .. i had also earlier that week taken them to Alton towers a passion of mine roller coasters! .. but was humiliated when i couldn't fit on some of the rides and had to do numerous walks of shames as the whole ride looks on and laughs so i was pretty motivated to get loosing weight once and for all!..

anyway..

that day sparked in me the determination to loose weight even more but i was running out of time and my relationship was in the pan.. i was desperate to change everything in the hope i would be

able to save my relationship though we agreed to live together and be friends ( not what i wanted but i couldn't bear to loose them and they had nowhere to go)

A few days went by and i saw an ad in my local post office window for the Cambridge diet.. " loose a stone a month with no exercise with controlled shakes" etc etc.. i was intrigued.. id never been a fan

of the group meetings kind of thing so the thought of a 1 on 1 with a "councillor" was daunting.. but i was desperate and thought what the hell..

after a bit of research i saw success stories so picked up the phone and made an appointment.

I'm getting finger cramp writing this so i'm going to skim this part..

Basically i lost 7 stone in 9 months .. from feb 2008 to November doing sole source to the letter, doing it perfectly with out a single cheat not even a wafer thin mint!.. and all of a sudden i was 12.9 stone

and on top of the world.. clothes fit, people seemed to talk to me differently, with respect or less pity or disgust.. and things were great. I sort of got back with my partner too so in my mind mission

accomplished.

Trouble was.. i had no idea who it was staring back at me in my reflection. Once of the biggest issues with VLCD diets in my opinion of fast weight loss is that they do not prepare you for whats to come..

, but all of a sudden i was this thin guy getting into medium clothes with a jaw and cheekbones and definition and i was lost. i felt disconnected with myself and awkward.. choosing clothes was a

nightmare as id always go sizes too big!.. and i did have an issue with loose skin! not a huge amount to be honest but enough to make me conscious of it!

6 months later and i was starting to slip.. at a party with my partner i noticed them flirting within someone else and knew that it just was not meant to be. we broke up shortly after that and it turned out

they were cheating on me anyway so luckily i got rid of them and they went from my life for good.

But my mental strength was broken.. and i picked up the carbs again.

Its true what they say.. WOW did the weight pile back on! .. i was putting back on a stone a month and i was trying so hard to be careful but because i hadn't done the " re feeding" correctly and just

blown it like a switch being fixed my body had no chance and super absorbed every tasty morsel of fattening food!

Apparently your fat cells stay active for years after you loose weight taking a year or something to dissolve to whenever to slip they jump right into action ( but dont quote me on that in not sure if that

true?)

I got to about 17 stone and met someone new - the perfect partner, all id ever dreamed about and am still with them today :) :) but it was tough as i found battling the weight even harder as we were

going out etc etc as you do in a new rel!.. the weight kept piling back on, i got to 20 stone then 21 and right back up to 23.5 stone. My partner was and is incredibly supportive and doesnt care how big

i am! that was weird in itself as now i have nothing to blame but me,.. i need to do this for myself.

I found a new couciller and hopped back on the cambridge diet train not caring of the damage it did the first time round and still felt it was the only way for me to loose weight..

i got down to 20 stone and then spent the next 2 year or so battling up and down endlessly breaking the diet evey month with carb binges, just not having the will power to get the job done. Still i was

sort of in control this time round! but i just felt awful this time round, weak, fatigued etc and my job is quite phyisical so i would need strength and just couldnt get through the day.

And that takes me to 10 days ago.. the first of august 2013.. my day of change forever.. i had done tons and tons of research from about the age of 18 on diets and was so relieved when i would read

more and more about the Atkins diet and low carbing proving itself time and time again as a successfully way to loose weight. It just felt like the right time, i think i was panicking about wanting to just

get rid of the weight again as fast as possible and thats why i originally opted for VLCD again but after it wasnt working for me the atkins diet just really appealed to me as A i know it works.. B i am more

mature now and am a better cook!.. C i wanted a diet that can fit into my lifestyle and also that i will feel strong on and not hungry.. ever!.. The lifestyle thing i think can play a massive part in your

sucess or failure.. when i did my first big weight loss i lived like a hermit! i saw virtually nobody, i didnt go out as the minute you go out for a meal or at a friends etc its very hard to stay on the line!..

people say just tell everyone but you end up just alienating you and also have to deal with people not understanding or shoving their opinios down your neck!.. On atkins or other low carb diets you

can go out and have a nice steak or chicken and restaurants are far more open to be asked for low carb variations of things on the menu! theres also bbq's in the summer so you can still keep your

social life!!!

Im detirmined more than ever to get this done once and for all now. I joined a gym the same day i started the diet and have been twice in 10 days but one of those times was a brutual induction which

left me sore for a week! i have been doing light cardio when at home, running up stairs, and doing lots of garden raking and gravel mooving at home! My next gym session is tommorrow, monday

which im looking forward to - a new thing for me! liking the gym! .. but i feel that exersize is a must on atkins if you dont want to look like a gaunt mess.. i want it to get my fitness up, my health, speed

up weight loss, help my skin and joints, and also hopefully get some sort of musclular defininition!

So! it has begun.. i was a bit disheartented with a slow initial moovment of pounds on the scale and i did but on about 4 pounds to start with changing over from vlcd which im suprised wasnt more

going from 600 cals a day on vlcd but i was breaking the diet every 4th week mostly so think my body knew what was coming but anyway it seems to have adjustd and the scales are now going down

and as of this morning i am under 20 stone for the first time in 3 or so years i think!

Starting Weight was 20 stone 6

Current Weight aug 10th 2013 - 19.13.4

i look forward to going on this journey again and sharing my experiences with all of you, i have made the mental commitment that this is happeneing and generally i will eat in a low carb preference for

the rext of my life. Carbs are my nemasis! haha!

Thanks for taking the time to read this, i thought it important for people to know a bit of background on me as a person and also me inside.. Society frustrates the hell out of me, seeing a fat person and

just casts them off as lazy and pathectic.. when the truth is most are battling with demons inside or have been through hard hard lives and reach for food for comfort and solice. I know there are many

that have simply gained a bit of weight each year and have no mental issues with food.. but they are in the minority in my opinion.

i will update this as often as i can with my progress and any useful info i might be able to give though ive already splattered some of it all over the atkins forum! bet people are fed up of seeing my posts

haha .. sorry about that :) only trying to help.

Feel free to message me with any questions! and id love to hear anyone elses stories battles.

Good luck to all of us, we can do it ... 1 pound at a time.

Feel free to rethread this or whatever if you think it might help anybody else, im a bit lost on this sight as to where to actually post things haha!

Stu

* my weightlloss so far is 7 pounds from 1st August :) I'm under 20 stone for the first time in nearly 3 years and feel awesome ImageUploadedByMiniMins.com1376390838.114834.jpg

Hi Stuart - and thanks for taking the time to put together your post.

A lot of us have had or still have various issues like yours that contribute/d to our current state, but happily low carb is a healthy and fulfilling way of eating, and there are thousands of success stories out there to prove it :)

Congrats on your loss so far! it might be worth you reading Jim's diary, if you haven't done so yet - he swears by clean and green (getting his carbs from green leafy veg) to his fab loss :)

Susie

Thanks for sharing Stu, very brave of you being so open. You have done it before and can do it again :)

Look forward to noseying at your diary, keep loggin :)

Thanks Teeney
How are you doing ?

Will do re the diary :). When I have random thoughts or questions should I post like I have been on the Atkins forum or on my diary bit? and what is bumping ?!lol

Thanks Teeney
How are you doing ?

Will do re the diary :). When I have random thoughts or questions should I post like I have been on the Atkins forum or on my diary bit? and what is bumping ?!lol

I'm not doing good, gained all weight by having a week off, wtf!

I put all sorts in mine, usually find it keeps me away from naughty food! Questions, thoughts randomness is all good, you will find lots of us popping by :) bumping? Where's that come from?

Morning and welcome to atkins, just put any thoughts,questions and menus in your diary. If there is a thread that you want people to see, you go to the thread and put a reply on it, most people just put in bump, hence bumping.....

Aw Teeney don't worry about it just get back on track when you are able, I think usually the large weight gain in a short space of time is to do with water retention maybe ? I find a 3 day binge will put me up 11 pounds !

I'm having a Chinese tonight but I've opted for what I pray is low carb! dry ribs and omelette or roast dry duck.. and even got some low carb beer lol.. :) good luck getting back on the ole band wagon!

Good luck mate. Some of your story sounds very similar to mine. Well done for living your life though and finding a partner etc. I've pretty much hidden away for 26 years.

The gaining a stone per year bit is very familiar. I've been 26 stone for ages now and 5 days from my 26th birthday I am hoping to be back in 25s tomorrow. This is a great diet. I lost 7 stone on it before but like you, I couldn't look at another egg or slice of bacon. I'll be following with interest; again, best of luck.

Aw Teeney don't worry about it just get back on track when you are able, I think usually the large weight gain in a short space of time is to do with water retention maybe ? I find a 3 day binge will put me up 11 pounds !

I'm having a Chinese tonight but I've opted for what I pray is low carb! dry ribs and omelette or roast dry duck.. and even got some low carb beer lol.. :) good luck getting back on the ole band wagon!

Hope it's water! Chinese sounds good! Remember bean sprouts, salt & pepper ribs and wings, I guess it's all the dry stuff.... just got a craving for seaweed but the stuff they sprinkle on it is very sweet... Mmmmm food! Lol

Hey!

So i got through last night all ok.. had some dry spare ribs and a chicken omlette and thenn in the morning i was 19.11.6 :) i know its only 2 pounds but im eating lush food, am never hungry and feel so much better so i dont care! i also went to the gym for a hour and burnt up 600 calories which im hoping might help speed a few pounds away!.. i found it great though, my energy level was up and im not feeling tired at all now and i really went for it in the gym! .. i like to take out all my frustrations and stresses there.. turn the pain off and just get through it and it feels great!.

Anyway todays menu consisted of

Scrambled Egg with fried Mushrooms and a bullet coffee
some peparami
tuna salad with mayo
a hour before gym i had a whey protien shake ( it was a minging strawberry one)
dinner was a sainsburies Just Cook Butter Basted Chicken Sainsbury's Just Cook Price Comparison in Sainsbury's | Sainsbury's Just Cook offers in mySupermarket
and some roasted pepper with a dolup of sour cream and some ceaser sauce.

Sitting here watching the Golden Girls On channel 125 tlc sky if anyone likes it! awww nostaliga.. takes me back to my childhood!

Oh - i have a bit of a sweet craving generally at the mo.. well, not a craving just a desire! or is that a craving!.. but i want to be good, i had a sweet splenda cup of tea with a tiny bit of cream last night and that was great so might have that again but i wondered if theres any pudding type goodness anyone knows of that are very low carb! ?

Hope your all doing well and being strong :)

You are doing brilliantly - and fab new on the loss and calorie burning!

Re sweet things - I try a bit of cream cheese mixed with cocoa powder and sweetener; or a cup of soya milk with some Da Vinci s/f syrup eg egg nog (mmm - but not everyone's favourite lol) and a spoon of decaff.

You are doing great, it feels good having all the energy and enjoying proper food!

Re sweet things, like Susie said, cream cheese with a small sprinkle of Splenda is like the filling of a cheesecake, if you have flax make a muffin in a minute. Sugar free jelly is also good. I could go on but it's making me hungry!

Hey J2
Thanks for your reply, we sound very similar! haha and i think this time round it is different for me as the diet is more diverse and you can have some veg and other bits which allows you to get creative enough to make it more tolerable. The cooking part doesnt freak me out like it used to and i could only do the basics, any thought of trying to mix things up a bit and my brain would have a melt down.. i also use to buy wayy to much and wow it was so stressfull and expensive! There wasnt the support then there is now and things like this site is fantastic! but theres far more resources online now and its gone from a fad danger diet to accepted worldwide!.. sharon osbourne how is a legend is a advocate of the diet too among many othr celebs! anyways ..

So are you finding things this time round are different in any form for you? how are you doing ?..

As i said the last 2.5 years ive been unable to find the mental strength to commit fully, i dont know why, life was prety stressfull but it was literally like my will power fell out my body.. however that was trying to follow a VLCD diet and the fact i felt so hungry and it was so antisocial i couldnt get it into gear and every 4th or so week id blow it which did far more damage than if i was to cheat now! (which im not ) :)

I simply have had enough, as i watch my own dad getting older for the first time really noticing it, it has made me confront my own mortality and really ask what is it i want from this life. i know how much more i will enjoy life and that it really can be done. i know its going to be a long road and that it is a forever kind of change which i think has also helped mentally by just accepting that i cant loose all my weight and then go back to eating cookies and treats or it will all come back on, life would be amazing if we could pig out all day and not get fat and unhealthy but life isnt fair..! ive accepted i will always be battling my weight and to moove forward and be the best person i can be, i have to see bad foods (choc takaways etc) in a different light, rather than a crutch or general food, i see them as really special special things, that can only be had rarely.. mostly to maybe celebrate something although im not talking about rewarding myself with bad foods! now i know i can also make yummy treats that are lowish carbs it means i can have nice things from time to time and not feel guilty.. feeling guilty about eating crap foods was always there and only led to more overeating to deal with that emotion! ..

i think having done it before also helps because its not just a fantasy anymore, i know what life is like when im not stopped by my size, i know i will be able to do anything i want! go skiing without bringing down the mountain, never fear about breaking chairs, go on roller coasters and be more social again and get out there and really enjoy and experience life. its all there.. just waiting for me to fix this again! i also want to live as long as possible, and that is a factor, before i was not really mature enough to value my life and health, when your yonuger you almost feel immortal and ill health just isnt something i would give 2 thoughts about. But now it is, and i cant see the point in living to suffer anymore.. and suffer to live.

Good luck on your journey and i hope you can find the inner stength to do this once and for all, you can do it.. Just take each day as it comes, if you mess up dont ponder on it, close the door on it, accept it happened and today you will be stronger. Every morning i say to myself, just get through today and dont worry about tommorrow, for tommorrow may never come.

Thanks for the reply. You have a real knack for writing motivational posts!

I've only been back on low carb for a few days now. Before that I was just calorie counting for about a week. Last time I did Atkins I was an obsessed maniac who would worry if I accidentally had 21g carbs in a day rather than the 20g allowance during induction which is the level I did it for the entire period. I've read up on low carb to an almost fanatical level now and i've come to the conclusion that 1800 calories per day is equally effective regardless of whether you have 0g carbs or 50g so i'm trying to stick to about 30g per day but if I go to 50g I won't really worry too much. Loving being back. Like you, for about the same time period actually, I couldn't get a grip. I would go to work in a slow sales job and sit at the till when not serving and read diet book after diet book looking for the answer to my problems. Then just like last time, one day it just clicked again and I knew I would do some damage to my fat cells. This time i'm fairly confident I will lose some serious weight quickly. It just feels right.

It's interesting that you mention feeling invincible. I felt the same, but not so much for myself, but for my family, if that makes sense. For example, for 24 years I didn't really lose anyone close to me and my family were all relatively healthy then within 18 months or so my grandad died, my dad nearly died from a fatal asthma attack and my nan has been diagnosed with cancer. It made me reassess my entire life really but I never took the action needed. My nan's diagnosis was very recent and I think it tipped the balance and locked in some determination. Started to ask myself some tough questions: 'what is she never sees me get married?', 'what if she doesn't see the birth of my first child?', 'what if something happens to one of my parents and they never see me defeat this demon?', 'what if they never get a grandchild?' etc etc etc...there was also a huge family event recently for my other nan's 75th birthday which made me want to hide up in all honesty. I don't want to be THAT GUY any more. The one you know will turn up single, fat and having achieved nothing.

Then there's my job...I work somewhere which I feel undervalued, vastly unpaid and feel capable of much more. I haven't applied for anything else because my CV gets an interview and my appearance and confidence costs me the job.

Atkins will always be the diet that made me believe I can do it and for that I will always love and defend Atkins.

I think the moral of the story for both of us is this is our time. It's time for action and time to end this once and for all...well the dieting part. I completely agree maintenance will be a battle for life but that sounds like a much better battle than this one!

Best of luck :D

Aha Teeney never fear I am here, just putting together a tuna salad before my big slog in the gym today :) I have 2 hours of fun cardio to do lol ! just been so busy with work issues but everything going great. Had a quick weigh this morning and way 19.11.4 so it's going going even a bit slow that's why I need to break myself in the gym to get my metabolism running properly again!

I'm going to try my hardest to weigh in once a week on a Monday I think ! I can get a bit obsessive and go through batteries like mad lol..

How are you doing ? :)

Aha Teeney never fear I am here, just putting together a tuna salad before my big slog in the gym today :) I have 2 hours of fun cardio to do lol ! just been so busy with work issues but everything going great. Had a quick weigh this morning and way 19.11.4 so it's going going even a bit slow that's why I need to break myself in the gym to get my metabolism running properly again!

I'm going to try my hardest to weigh in once a week on a Monday I think ! I can get a bit obsessive and go through batteries like mad lol..

How are you doing ? :)

Hehe good lad! Sounds like your head is in the right place :) two hours of cardio, wowsers!!!!
I'm doing good (finally!) motivation is always up when the scales are moving!

yeah mostly I'm doing about hour 3/4 times a week :) indeed it's great motivation when I know I'm eating lush yummy food and see the scales drop! Even if they don't I don't worry now unless weeks and weeks go by as I know it's all happening lol gonna need new jeans soon I think! :)

yeah mostly I'm doing about hour 3/4 times a week :) indeed it's great motivation when I know I'm eating lush yummy food and see the scales drop! Even if they don't I don't worry now unless weeks and weeks go by as I know it's all happening lol gonna need new jeans soon I think! :)

Half the battle is enjoying what you are doing. After my week off I was contemplating changing diets but at the end of the day I enjoy atkins food. Fantastic that you will soon be needing new jeans! I'm looking forward to digging out my small clothes :)
Do you log your food on mfp?

Back