Gemma's diary to slimdom!

Gemma79

I will do this!
Hi all - thought I would start a diary thread to keep me on track and share my story.

My name is Gemma, I am a social worker who loves my job, supervising foster carer's. I am married and have 2 wonderful sons, Ethan aged 3 and Harrison aged 8 weeks!

I have been overweight my whole adult life, I'm now 31. In 2009/10 I went on Lighter life, a meal replacement diet, and lost 6 stones. For the first time I was slim and healthy and I felt great. We decided to have another baby when I hit goal and so that contributed to me changing the rules and eating everything I could! I put on 5 stones of the 6 lost during my pregnancy. I learnt a LOT during LL, I found the therapy really helpful and the quick weight loss was fantastic, I never cheated once and loved my journey. I have decided not to take this route this time, as I want to try to put into practice the things I have learnt, so far so good, lost 8lbs in 3 weeks which suits me! I don't want to be a fat mum, this is my inspiration, the same the first time. I was horrified after I saw the picture of me at my son's 1st birthday and that was what inspired me to change, his 2nd birthday I was at my slimmest and love looking at those pictures!

I have xenical, trying to stick to the 5% rule as much as possible and really enjoying it so far. I feel this 'diet' isn't really a diet, but a good way to live and eat. I love cooking and so am enjoying trying out new, tasty things. Such as sweet potatoes, roasted in the oven with carrots and onions, yum!

I have also joined the gym 1 week ago and am trying to go as much as I can get a babysitter while I am on maternity leave, I'm back at work 5th Sept so really want to make a dent into this 5 stone by then!

I am using my fitness pal app, I have found that to be amazing and keeps me on track. I've read a lot of your threads too and they are helping to inspire me.

So that's it, my story.... I'm pleased to be joining to many wonderful people on their journey to slimdom!

Hi. Nice to see you . Everyone welcome here. The girls (and men) are a fantastic help when the journey is going well or not so well. Keep posting and you'll get there :)

Welcome to Xenical. Children are a great motivation, stick to the rules and drink plenty of water and you'll do fine! :)

hello and welcome...

to go and lose 6 stone on ll is amaizing!!! (i did CD last year, and only lost 22lbs...)
you are not in this alone, we are all here for everyone, and im sure you will get along just great :)

thanks very much for your kind words ladies, lovely to be here.

Was WI today and I had stayed the same. Little disappointed with that as I joined the gym last week and went 5 times, but it won't stop me, back to eating better this week, might try out some of kes' lovely recipes. Tonight it's home made fish and chips with salad, can't wait!

Hope you are all having a lovely day, I love that the sun is shinning, but it's a little too hot for my little boy who doesn't know what to do with himself!

Hi Gemma,
Wow me and you are too similar. Im 31, I've done LL and I've started Xenical today! I'm doing an access course in Sept to then go to Uni to become, yep you guessed it, a Social Worker!!!
I'm a single mum to Amy who is 5. I've always been a big girl, but really aiming to shed a fair bit before I start college!
Hope we can support each other on this journey. xxx

Oh, I know what you mean when it's so hot, the kids get so uncomfortable in it..it's cooling down a bit now thankfully.

Have a good week!

oh wow sophie, hi and I'm sure we can offer each other lots of support. Well done on starting your social work course, it's a very rewarding and chalenging career! Hope your first day went well x

well I'm feeling much better today. Went to a swim aerobics class this morning which I really enjoyed, will be doing that as much as I can! Also went shopping, eating healthily is not cheap! I am loving strawberries with raspberries, topped with fromage frais (low fat from whichever shop I go to) which I flavour with vanilla extract and sweetener, it is gorgeous and gives me a quick and healthy sugar fix!

Not sure what to have for dinner, might just have a quick WW meal, trying to cook from fresh as much as possible but not sure if I can be bothered tonight. Did a lovely low fat fish and chips last night which was gorgeous and even my 3 year old ate it! I love watching him eat healthily, makes me feel proud and I know it is my responsibility to make sure he has better eating habits than I have!

The weather is much nicer today, resulting in happy children and so we made a card and a gift for my mum's 50th birthday tomorrow.

Hope you are all having a fantastic, low fat day! x

Glad you had a good day hun.
You are so right about the price of fresh and healthy food.... however, Aldi is a good supermarket and they have very good offers on fruit and veg - alternatively find a local greengrocer. Instead of paying 80p for a cucumber i pay 24p - you can imagine the difference a big shop of veggies could be right? xxx

Glad you had a good day hun, well done. I eat a lot of veg, I always have done, I've mixing mine with rice infusions lately, so I get some calories and fat with it..

I like the ww meals, I usually add a separate portion of veg with them to bulk them out a bit :)

Have a good week!

Well I've had a really good few days, especially today which was a bit of a moment for me. You see i joined the gym last week, had a personal program drawn up for me and never managed to do it all the way through without stopping early or lowering the intensity, well today I was ready to give up on the last piece of equipment, the crosstrainer! My calfs were burning after 1 min and I had to do 5. I was going to stop after 2 mins, deceiving myself that it was good enough and I was beat. The. Jillian micheals (the biggest loser trainer) popped into my head telling me to stand up a d finish what I started and telling me I could do it, it wouldn't kill me. So I did do it and did it faster than normal. I found some kind of inner strength and I felt great about myself afterwards, knowing that on this occasion I refused to accept my own inner lies. I can do this, I will do this and I am worth it!

Have a good weekend all x x

Good for you hun!! my cross trainer always get's me, I have to watch my knee, so I do it in 5 minute segments, and it kills...you just have to focus and push through as best as you can!

Well done! :)

Gemma and violet your putting me to shame, I don't do any exercise other than running around after the kids. I've got 3 under 9 (also 2 grown up daughters) and my 2 grandchildren live with me too so it's complete bedlem.

Mandy

Gemma and violet your putting me to shame, I don't do any exercise other than running around after the kids. I've got 3 under 9 (also 2 grown up daughters) and my 2 grandchildren live with me too so it's complete bedlem.

Mandy

Heck Mandy, you've got your hand full! I've 2 boys, my youngest is 5 september and my eldest is 8, he has a bone problem, it affects the hip joint, so I do a lot of running around after him..running around after the kids, is exercise in itself :D

Wow Mandy you do have your hands full. I can empathise somewhat, I have a very active 3 year old and a 9 week old. Took my eldest swimming today and had lots of fun!

Wow Mandy you do have your hands full. I can empathise somewhat, I have a very active 3 year old and a 9 week old. Took my eldest swimming today and had lots of fun!

Awww babies...I'd love another one!!... need a man first, and I'm not gonna get a good one, looking like a mammouth :D

hehe no more for me! Well, never say never, but right now we are both thrilled with our 2 boys and as we work full time, that's enough me thinks!

Deffo no more for me. Hannah my youngest was a complete surprise (4 in August) but she is a little sweetie. It is hard work and stressful at times but the same can be said if you only have one child. Still wouldn't be without them.

Mandy

I have 2 boys and I wouldn't be without them, they're a lot of fun.. I can't see myself having anymore though...it would be nice but I think I want me back, y' know ;)

Back