Gestural diabetes in pregnancy HELP PLEASE

Slinkyson

Gold Member
Hi All
im currently in the slimming world pregnancy section on here, im 34 weeks pregnant today! i have developed gestural diabetes, tried controlling this by dieting, then was put on medication. Nothing worked so now im injecting insulin, and really need help and advice on what to eat! ive just been told to lower by carb intake and avoid sweet stuff!

Has anyone got this too? and any advance i would really appreciate it :)

Thanks in advance

Hi, I had GD with my first pregnancy and ended up having insulin too. I was told to lower my carb in take by eating no more than 1/2 of my plate of starchy carbs such as rice, pasta and potatoes. It also needed to be flat to the plate ie not piled high. I used to eat lots of casseroles, roast vegetables and made cottage pie with a carrot and Swede topping. I also found porridge great for breakfast and stabilised my blood sugars. I was also told if I wanted crisps to eat the full fat versions as the light ones are full of sugar. Not long to go and you will have your beautiful baby in your arms:)
Oh, and I didn't get GD in my second pregnancy so it doesn't necessarily follow that you would get it again. We're about to try for number 3 and in hoping to avoid GD again.

Hi, I had GD with my first pregnancy and ended up having insulin too. I was told to lower my carb in take by eating no more than 1/2 of my plate of starchy carbs such as rice, pasta and potatoes. It also needed to be flat to the plate ie not piled high. I used to eat lots of casseroles, roast vegetables and made cottage pie with a carrot and Swede topping. I also found porridge great for breakfast and stabilised my blood sugars. I was also told if I wanted crisps to eat the full fat versions as the light ones are full of sugar. Not long to go and you will have your beautiful baby in your arms:)
Oh, and I didn't get GD in my second pregnancy so it doesn't necessarily follow that you would get it again. We're about to try for number 3 and in hoping to avoid GD again.

Hi Louise
I'm so glad someone has got back to me! Did the diabetes go as soon as you had your baby? Was your baby ok? And did you have a c section? They are inducing me early just not too sure when I find out next Friday! I've been really trying with the diet it's just so tough when all I used to eat was carbs I'm not a big meat or fish fan but seriously need to re-think my diet I do not want to get this again! It's really emotionally draining constantly taking my bloods and injecting and trying to work out what to eat and what not to eat! I never knew that about the crisps so I'll get full fat ones! I have porridge too for breakfast! Do you have any tips on getting a sugar fix without the sugar?!? Haha! I know that sounds daft but I'm craving sweets (pick and mix) I dream about them and find myself wondering hopelessly down the sweets isle in super markets! I never had a sweet tooth before pregnancy!
X

I was induced early and she was born 3 days before her due date weighing 7lbs 2oz. She was absolutely fine and didn't need any special care. Her blood sugars were monitored but they were normal. She was born vaginally but with the aid of a vontouse as my contractions stopped at 10cm. I had to stay in for 2 days post delivery as she was very sleepy from the induction drugs and it took her 16 hours to latch on and feed. I was tested again at 6 weeks post and my test came back that I was glucose intolerant (pre-diabetic) i was re-tested a few months later and it had completely gone.
I found that if I ate pudding straight after a meal it didn't affect my blood sugars at all. I once ate treacle tart after a roast dinner and was sure my sugar would be high but it was completely normal. (Not that I recommend this lol) I loved mixing a tablespoon of options hot chocolate with 0% total yogurt really satisfied my sweet cravings. Have you had any growth scans?

I was induced early and she was born 3 days before her due date weighing 7lbs 2oz. She was absolutely fine and didn't need any special care. Her blood sugars were monitored but they were normal. She was born vaginally but with the aid of a vontouse as my contractions stopped at 10cm. I had to stay in for 2 days post delivery as she was very sleepy from the induction drugs and it took her 16 hours to latch on and feed. I was tested again at 6 weeks post and my test came back that I was glucose intolerant (pre-diabetic) i was re-tested a few months later and it had completely gone.
I found that if I ate pudding straight after a meal it didn't affect my blood sugars at all. I once ate treacle tart after a roast dinner and was sure my sugar would be high but it was completely normal. (Not that I recommend this lol) I loved mixing a tablespoon of options hot chocolate with 0% total yogurt really satisfied my sweet cravings. Have you had any growth scans?

Yeah that's what I've been doing with the options drinks! And having sugar free jelly but it's boring! Glad you were both ok it's do reassuring your the first person I've spoken to who'd been there! Ive had 2 growth scans both showing that she is growing perfectly well within what she should be! I found my glucose levels seem to be worse now that I'm on insulin than they were just by controlling it with diet and metformin tablets! It's all confusing to me! I hate it!! The normal heavy pregnancy symptoms I can cope with but this is really testing me! The only thing keeping me going is that I have a max of 3 weeks to go! I've always been a carb head do I reckon my glucose were probably quite high before I got pregnant! Guy another growth scan next Friday and then an appointment with my consultant straight after to discuss what they can do! I know they like to keep babies in as long as poss but he told me they are full term at 37 wks! I'm so fed up just want her here now :(

Hi,

I was diagnosed with GD at 16 weeks pregnant. I was on metformin only until 28 weeks and both insulin and metformin until I gave birth.
I was induced at 37 weeks and 2 days because of the diabetes. My son was 7lb 2 oz and I delivered vaginally. I did need an episiotomy to help get him out tho.
My sons blood sugars stabilised after a couple of days. Although he needed several heal pricks to check it. This was upsetting but does have to be done.
Unfortunately when I was tested 6 weeks pp My blood sugar was still high. I had another glucose tolerance test which I failed so I am now still diabetic.
I think the later stages of pregnancy controlling your blood sugars is very difficult. At this stage even the best diet control doesn't help much. Just try your best to eat as sensibly as you can. You haven't got long left then your beautiful baby will be here.
If you need to know anything please feel free to ask. Xx

Hi,

I was diagnosed with GD at 16 weeks pregnant. I was on metformin only until 28 weeks and both insulin and metformin until I gave birth.
I was induced at 37 weeks and 2 days because of the diabetes. My son was 7lb 2 oz and I delivered vaginally. I did need an episiotomy to help get him out tho.
My sons blood sugars stabilised after a couple of days. Although he needed several heal pricks to check it. This was upsetting but does have to be done.
Unfortunately when I was tested 6 weeks pp My blood sugar was still high. I had another glucose tolerance test which I failed so I am now still diabetic.
I think the later stages of pregnancy controlling your blood sugars is very difficult. At this stage even the best diet control doesn't help much. Just try your best to eat as sensibly as you can. You haven't got long left then your beautiful baby will be here.
If you need to know anything please feel free to ask. Xx

Hi tigger
Thanks for coming back to me! I'm currently just in injections, metformin didn't seem to make much of a difference! I spoke to a few who have full blown diabetes to chat about glucose levels! Because my levels tend to me the homestead first thing in the morning and night time but during the day they are usually within range of between 5-7 before and after meals! Still high though as the diabetes team are wanting them to get as close to 3.5-5.5 rather than the above figures! I'm really struggling with what to eat and what not to eat, it's really tough! I just seem to be hungry and bad tempered with it all the time! :-( what type of things did you eat? Snacks and meals? I don't drink caffeine or sweet drinks, all diet stuff!
They have warned me about the baby's heel pricks and said its upsetting for mums to see! They've told me they will need to so these tests every 4 hours until her levels stabilise! I think I will be induced around 37 wks Im at my whits end with it all! Through out the whole pregnancy I've had problems with placenta and now this! I just want her here safe and sound! Your baby's weight is fab, a lady I know of have birth to an 11ib baby she had gestural diabetes think she had some help with forceps! I would rather have a vaginal birth other a c section! Are you on any medication for your diabetes now? Or controlling this by diet? My diet has been crap for a few years I've promised myself I will lose weight after she's here! I really don't want this forever it's the constant pricking of the skin and feeling really low that I'm struggling with! Xx

Hi

I no exactly how you feel. You can't enjoy your pregnancy without the constant stress of checking your blood sugars and taking insulin. My sugars where very high first thing in the morning so I had to inject a slow release insulin before bed.
I used to snack on yoghurt and fruit but only one piece of fruit at a time as this can cause an increase in your blood sugars. I had brown bread as it seemed to have less of an effect on my sugars.
For my meals I tried to eat as much vegetables and meat as I cud and less carbohydrate. To be honest by 35-37 weeks I was struggling to keep my sugars within normal range no matter wot I eat. At this gestation the baby is influencing your sugars majorly.
It's a gud sign that your baby is measuring within the normal range. My son did and I was proud he was the weight he was as it meant I must have controlled my sugars the best I cud.
All I wud suggest is don't go off the rails but don't beat yourself up if you eat sumthing you fancy. You are getting close now to getting baby out. I think they will induce you definitely at 37 weeks. Especially as you are now struggling to control your blood sugar. That's why I was induced.
I think you should eat what you want in moderation. Don't be getting wound up with the worry of what you should or shouldn't be eating. You will be stressed enough having to take your blood sugar and inject insulin everyday.
Feel free to ask as much as you want to. I understand the worry your going through I felt the same. Xx

Hi

I no exactly how you feel. You can't enjoy your pregnancy without the constant stress of checking your blood sugars and taking insulin. My sugars where very high first thing in the morning so I had to inject a slow release insulin before bed.
I used to snack on yoghurt and fruit but only one piece of fruit at a time as this can cause an increase in your blood sugars. I had brown bread as it seemed to have less of an effect on my sugars.
For my meals I tried to eat as much vegetables and meat as I cud and less carbohydrate. To be honest by 35-37 weeks I was struggling to keep my sugars within normal range no matter wot I eat. At this gestation the baby is influencing your sugars majorly.
It's a gud sign that your baby is measuring within the normal range. My son did and I was proud he was the weight he was as it meant I must have controlled my sugars the best I cud.
All I wud suggest is don't go off the rails but don't beat yourself up if you eat sumthing you fancy. You are getting close now to getting baby out. I think they will induce you definitely at 37 weeks. Especially as you are now struggling to control your blood sugar. That's why I was induced.
I think you should eat what you want in moderation. Don't be getting wound up with the worry of what you should or shouldn't be eating. You will be stressed enough having to take your blood sugar and inject insulin everyday.
Feel free to ask as much as you want to. I understand the worry your going through I felt the same. Xx

Thanks Hun, so good to chat to people who actually understand who have been there! In going to write a good diary starting today till Monday and then I'll update it on here at the end if each day! Your right it really does effect your pregnancy experience I'm close to tears all the time! Keep blaming myself for this because I've gained so much weight almost 4 stone! I did put quite abit of that on over Xmas and New Years though! So I feel guilty that I over indulged and now I'm paying for it! I still have the odd bit if choc I have found that if I have it straight after a protein based meal it doesn't effect my sugar levels! But I have noticed now that I've hit 35 wks it doesn't seem to matter how good I am! I'm still waking up with high levels I inject 12units before bed and 10units in the morning this is the third time I've had to up it in one week! Can you remember what your flyover levels were roughly whilst pregnant?

I was the same and found my blood sugars harder to control when I was put on insulin. They wouldn't induce me until 39 weeks as she was measuring normal and they decided that as my blood sugars were fairly well controlled and weren't affecting her weight gain it was better to leave her inside. If the insulin isn't controlling your blood sugars well they will probably decide to induce you at 37-38 weeks. Don't feel guilty about the weight gain. You probably would have gotten GD anyway. I weighed a healthy BMI and didn't gain loads but developed it. I weighed more with my second pregnancy and didn't get it. It's all to do with how your your body recognises human placental lactogen which can then interfere with your insulin receptors causing high blood sugar levels. Once your body has given birth and you are no longer producing this your blood sugar levels should go back to normal unless there was an underlying problem before pregnancy.

I was the same and found my blood sugars harder to control when I was put on insulin. They wouldn't induce me until 39 weeks as she was measuring normal and they decided that as my blood sugars were fairly well controlled and weren't affecting her weight gain it was better to leave her inside. If the insulin isn't controlling your blood sugars well they will probably decide to induce you at 37-38 weeks. Don't feel guilty about the weight gain. You probably would have gotten GD anyway. I weighed a healthy BMI and didn't gain loads but developed it. I weighed more with my second pregnancy and didn't get it. It's all to do with how your your body recognises human placental lactogen which can then interfere with your insulin receptors causing high blood sugar levels. Once your body has given birth and you are no longer producing this your blood sugar levels should go back to normal unless there was an underlying problem before pregnancy.

Thanks Hun that's reassuring to know that it may not have been me that caused this in the first place! I'm trying my hardest to control my sugars but last night I just got so fed up with it all I ended up scoffing a pizza only a few slices but to be fair it really didn't seem to make much difference at all! I thought it would when I took my bloods, after meals I should be 5.5-7 and it was 7.3! Even if I eat a nice healthy salad it seems to be around 7! I'm hoping once baby us born it will go and I will hit my healthy eating big time and hopefully will be able to get back to normal! They told me they'd induce me no later than 38wks but her weight and growth doesn't seem to be effected! 2 weeks ago at the growth scan she was around 5ib 12oz so not quite 6ibs which I would think is low for 33wks which is what I was then! But I don't know I'm no professional and this is my first so it's all new to me! I'm just glad that I've found a couple of people to talk to about it! As no one I know has had this and the diabetes team to be fair are pretty crap! I rang in tears yesterday because I was getting so fed up with my levels and was told to relax I'm doing fine and ring back Monday! I don't do any exercise now because her head is so low even walking kills me so I'm limited I know exercise probably would help but sod that! A trip to asda is enough for me ha x

My good friend was also diagnosed with GD for her second pregnancy. What type of pregnancy diet should I follow if I have gestational diabetes? | BabyCenter list a lot of good things to eat and how to follow a good diet while pregnant.

Thanks Hun this is brill :) I saw my dietician yesterday because I'd just had enough! I completed a good diary over the weekend he said my food groups were fine and it's nothing I'm doing its because of the stage of pregnancy I'm at and my body struggling with the insulin ontop of high blood pressure so I feel a little more reassured :) x

Hi all, pleased to report I've had my baby girl! I went fit a scan last Friday and it showed up she was too big for her gestation so I was induced straight away and finally have birth to Poppy early hours on Sunday morning! Unfortunately after 15 hours of active labour I couldn't get beyond 8cm so an emergency c section was the way forward! I was gutted as I knew if I could just get to that 10cms it would have all been over with in 30mins or so but I just didn't progress after 4 hours so that was that she is here now safety so tiny with her only being 36wks when born!
We only got out if hospital Saturday as she had bilirubin (jaundice) so needed light treatment she also needs fattening up she's lost quite abit if weight but is so sleepy she doesn't want to eat its draining trying to get her to feed! I was solely breast feeding but wasn't producing enough so now topping up with formula and beast feeding se expressing should I say!
My blood pressure and glucose levels have come down not immensely but I've been told to wait till my 6 wk check up and see what that brings I'm eating healthier and not over loading on carbs so fingers crossed it will be in the lower range again

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter. She weighed the same as my eldest :)
Cherish every single second of her being this small. I can clearly remember looking into my eldest girls eyes for the first time, it feels like only yesterday but she's starting school in September :( hopefully your blood sugars will be back to normal by your 6 week check up.

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter. She weighed the same as my eldest :)
Cherish every single second of her being this small. I can clearly remember looking into my eldest girls eyes for the first time, it feels like only yesterday but she's starting school in September :( hopefully your blood sugars will be back to normal by your 6 week check up.

Everyone has said it goes so quick so I'm enjoying her as much as I can each day she starting to show us her building personality :) so cute!!! I hope so too I absolutely hated injecting myself daily with insulin and checking my bloods constantly it was awful although nothing compared to child birth lol! X

Back