Getting back into ketosis

Pheonix2010

Silver Member
Im curious about getting back into ketosis and although ive seen this issue talked about I dont think Ive ever read a definitive answer bearing in mind everyone is different

sorry if i get the science bit wrong or am vague, but Ive had a long day !!

Lets say it normally takes me about 5 days to get into ketosis

scenario 1 , I have a weeks break for a holiday and eat whatever i like

scenario 2 , I give into temptation one day and nick a few chips off my sons plate , the carbs push me out of ketosis

so obviously in scenario one it will prob take me my normal 5 days tto get back into ketosis , but what about scenario 2 , maybe ive gone over my daily carb allowance by 20g , but does this mean Ive totally refilled my stores and have to start from scratch , surely its proportionate to how much of your stores you have refilled , and it might take say just one day rather than 5 to get back into ketosis

I would love it if someone could just tell me one way or the other please , im sure the answer is on here somewhere but too be honest im feeling too lazy to look :):p

btw scenario 2 is fictional and Im not trying to confess to stealing my sons dinner tonight !!

Loooool, I must confess I picked one chip off my son's plate tonight and then put it back promptly before walking off to my bathroom for a shower..kikikikikiki

But I don't think you'd fill up your glycogen stores THAT quickly. But hey, Science wasn't my best subject in school and I still can't get my head round all these terms:D

I think it's been said that if you have 1 non ketogenic meal and go straight back on plan it takes less time than having a big break. I went straight back on plan after my office Xmas meal when I read that (I had been planning to take 3 days off) and found no difficulty getting back into ketosis at all. I can't remember how long it took but then on the other hand I don't find it too much of a pain to get into ketosis in the first place and I'm usually showing light pink on the sticks in 48 hours anyway.

im going out saturday night and really dont want to make things too hard for myself

ill have a shake at lunchtime

then will be having the mozarella starter and chicken salad , no dessert , sparkling water with my water flavouring in

ill be straight back on plan after and just hope i dont feel too hungry on sunday , the good thing is ive got a rare day all to myself as my son is staying with my parents for a few days , so if i am struggling i can busy myself doing other things.

Lol Phoenix, me too! :)

Back