Getting back into Ketosis

Monkey

Hi guys,

I'm going to be doing a short stint on abstinence again because I want to lose the half stone that I gained during RtM.

It's Day 1 and so far I'm OK, but it is only 11:15!! I really need to stop looking at the clock...! :)

Do you think I will go back into ketosis faster if I go for a long run tonight..? I know this sounds weird, but I've been running anyway and just wondered whether it might speed up the process of using up my glycogen?

My next question is, does anyone know whether or not I can do myself any damage by continuing to run while in ketosis?

The reason I ask is that the fitness instructors at my gym are quite horrified by LL and in fact wouldn't give me a programme when I first joined the gym because they were worried about me collapsing and then suing them...and I've also read that exercising vigorously while in ketosis can potentially result in permanent damage to your muscle tissue, but have no idea whether or not this is true.

Hoping someone out there knows the truth?

Thanks
Monkey x

Hi guys,
I've also read that exercising vigorously while in ketosis can potentially result in permanent damage to your muscle tissue, but have no idea whether or not this is true.

I've heard the same thing. I did try and research it on the internet but didn't really find anything too conclusive and just started scaring myself. Be interesting to see what others say. CDCs advise not to do any vigourous exerise on CD if you not used to it but my LLC says it's fine.

Hopefully someone more knowlegeable will come online, but I would say go for it, exercise (as you have been anyway) but listen to your body, if you start to feel at all unwell that cut back.

A lot of ladies in our class have also found that the gym SLOWS DOWN their weight loss! It's almost like the body shuts down if you do too much, I'm trying to go, but more for gentle toning than anything else.

Thanks very much Kate and Dancing for your replies.

Dancing, I hadn't really considered any possibility of my brain suffering if I over do it - scarey stuff...!

I sent a mail to LL medical team and this is what they say -

'It¹s important that clients do not overdo it whilst in abstinence, and so we do not recommend a client to start a strenuous activity regimen whilst using abstinence.

Physical activity is very important for good health in the general population and is particularly important for weight management; therefore, it is important to establish good habits right from the start. However our advice to clients is to begin to move around more often, with gentle activities such as walking and exercises as recommended on the weekly DVDs, and to gradually build on this.

Some clients may, do of course already have physical activity regimes and we would encourage them to continue with these activities, providing however that the activities are moderate and not excessive. They might need to reduce the intensity of their regimen for the first couple of weeks in abstinence; when they are in full ketosis, they will probably be able to resume their original levels of exercise. However, if a client regularly participates in very strenuous, prolonged activity we do advise that they seek professional expert advice eg from a sports physiologist as this may not be appropriate while in abstinence.

If at any time while exercising a client feels unwell, they should stop immediately and seek medical advice (eg from their GP). I hope this is helpful'

...So this also doesn't encourage me to train heavily while doing abstinence... All in all I think I would prefer to try and get my head around eating healthily / consistently rather than doing abstinence, or at least until after my race in June. Bit concerned I might be a very big again by then though...

I'm so frustrated with myself that I've managed to lose the plot with food already!! Time to get out the green book I think... :(

Monkey x

Silly , but when I did a mad week on my exercise bike I only lost 3lb, when I went back to 10 minutes in the morning I lost 6lb. Is this the same thing or is it too late and I should goto bed now.

Thanks for the info, Monkey. Definitely worth a sticky.

Pacing yourself sounds like good advice. If you've not been active for a long time, have been unwell, or if you still have a lot to lose, then it wouldn't be wise to start full-on with intense exercise while on the foodpacks. Just build up gradually with things like walking or pilates. And as the LL meds say, stop immediately if you feel unwell. Personally, I think the problem is not so much the ketosis (or bodybuilders wouldn't be able to beef up so much without it!) as the low caloric intake. My energy levels suffered at first, but then got better than before I started LL. I've been feeling so full of energy while in ketosis that I feel it a waste not to use it for exercise. For once I'm actually keen to get onto that cross-trainer...

I've heard the same thing. I did try and research it on the internet but didn't really find anything too conclusive and just started scaring myself. Be interesting to see what others say. CDCs advise not to do any vigourous exerise on CD if you not used to it but my LLC says it's fine.

Hopefully someone more knowlegeable will come online, but I would say go for it, exercise (as you have been anyway) but listen to your body, if you start to feel at all unwell that cut back.

A lot of ladies in our class have also found that the gym SLOWS DOWN their weight loss! It's almost like the body shuts down if you do too much, I'm trying to go, but more for gentle toning than anything else.

hi guys
i cut out all gym work and the bars last week and lost 6lbs --- so i think its through that over dsoing the gym work slows the weight loss

If you want to exercise you could try isometric exercises. A small amount of resistance exercise can build and define muscle very easily with no equipment needed. I recommend the Wii Fit though if you can afford it! Great fun!

Hi

I started LL at the end of October and started jogging in November. In February I ran (jogged!!) a 5k fun run and in March I managed 10k. I started slowly and built up my stamina by jogging 3 times a week and upping the time by 1-2 minutes each time. I never felt ill and lost 5 stone by the end of March. I think if you listen to your body it will tell you if you are overdoing it. I have just returned to LL and have not stopped jogging, once you get the bug it stays with you. Good luck

Thanks very much Kate and Dancing for your replies.

Dancing, I hadn't really considered any possibility of my brain suffering if I over do it - scarey stuff...!

Monkey x

Don't worry too much about brain problems.
The brain runs on Glucose, and when in ketosis your body is happily converting more than enough fat to glucose for your brain to function perfectly well. In fact many people find that their brain works far far better when the carbs are strictly limited.

Remember that for millions of years humans have lived with virtually no catbohydrate being used as a food source. It is only since arable farming started approx 10,000 years ago that we upped our carb levels. This is insignificant in evolutionary terms. Interestingly the introduction of farming also coincided with tooth decay, weaker bones and many other illnesses.

In the last 100 years, and more importantly in the last 30 years, refined carbohydrates have become prevalent and for many people, the proteins and fats that their body needs are being replaced ith processed carbohydrates (Cerials, flour, bread, pasta, rice etc, and of course sugars -a very processed carb). These have coincided with the rapidly climbing obesity that we see today.

Your brain will be fine - it is easy to survive very well mentally on as low as 20 grammes of carbs per day when you are in ketosis.

What about doing moderate weight training?
I miss my gym and think that maybe doing some light weights will help me tone.
Anyone know if that's ok?

is there no other way of getting in ketosis other than LL?

Any recognised-as-safe VLCD will do it, so LighterLife, Camebridge Diet, LipoTrim. Atkins will also do it but I really wouldn't recommend that!

You certianly can't get into Ketosis simply by eating under 500 calories' worth of regular foods a day on your own, it would be dangerous and put your health at real risk; any VLCD needs to be medically monitored and done correctly.

Really interesting thread as I have just had a gym induction this morning. Think I will be sticking to gentle exercise until food is reintroduced

Back