Getting in extra protein

Caz

Repeat Offender
I don't know about anyone else but I struggle to get in much protein, I get an alright amount but I'm just aware that with the exercise and cutting calories, my muscles can take a hit as well as fat so I'm trying to keep my protein up as much as possible. To be honest, I struggle to think of what high protein things there are but have just come across a few websites that I thought I'd share, in case there's anyone else struggling and wanting to up their protein:

Meals For You
List of high protein foods
Good To Know
9 high protein snacks
101 Cookbooks
Low Calorie High Protein recipes

Good thread :) It's important to get the balance. My iron was getting so low cos all I eat really is chicken lol.

Chicken and eggs is all I can ever think of for protein! And beef but I don't really eat it because it's fairly high in calories. I only ever really eat chicken too, need to get a bit more variety in my diet I think!

I've got to say I'm a fan of protein shakes. You can get some brilliant shakes, gorgeous flavours and perfect for taking straight after a workout to ensure you feed your muscles to reduce chances of muscle loss. Calorie wise they can be anywhere between 80-150 cals per shake depending on brand and whether u use milk or water.

They are perfect for that extra meal/snack in between your normal meals and usually staves off the hunger u can experience after a workout!

Everyone is different though! X

I've been wondering about that actually but there's so many that they just confuse me! What do you get and where from can I ask? They can be used for protein bars, pancakes, lots of things to up the protein levels. If I've worked out enough to want extra protein then I think I could spare an extra 80-150 calories!

I buy mine from an Internet site called IRONSCIENCE.

I'll try do a link now...

www.ironscience.co.uk

Not sure if that's worked or not! New to links! Haha!!

Anyways I get the following:

Whey Protein Concentrate 80% Instantised in Wild strawberry flavour!

It is gorgeous, tastes like Maccy D milkshakes but melted! Lol! It's out of stock at the moment but I emailed them
Today and it should be back in stock soon.

They do absolutely loads of different flavours from chocolate, vanilla, mint choc chip, cappuccino, white choc, coconut.

The good thing about this site too is that u can order samples for a few pounds to try the flavours before u commit to buying a larger bag.

Delivery is good, they use a courier and they text u with a delivery day and then on the day you get another text with an hour
Slot!! It's brilliant service!

Anyways have a browse, I'm not trying to sell u this brand, it's just my preferred one. I've tried a few different brands now from Holland and Barrett to MyProtein!

I'm always surprised at the end of the day after i've entered all my food for the day just how much of my calories come from carbs, it's staggering! Would love to get more protein in but like others of said, I tend to think of eggs or chicken!

Fish. Lots of protein and mainly low cal. Good for breakfast as well as dinner.

Fruit smoothies using cottage cheese instead of yogurt/milk.

Laughing Cow cheese triangles, have one of these with your fruit, low cal and makes the fruit more GI friendly.

A few plain nuts to snack on.

Seeded breads.

Although I am a calorie counter I tend to keep more of an eye on the amount of carbs per day than calories. I also always have a protein based breakfast and eat protein with my fruit snacks.

I like to try and get in as much protein as possible too but with my allergy to fish, nuts and eggs (very unlucky i know) I eat a lot of chicken .. and i mean alot! .. Its decent on calories and a good source of protein. Other than that, id probably suggest protein shakes!

Back