Getting prepared to start new paleo life.

Hi there, I'm researching paleo at the moment, and have bought a few books, but my problem is that everywhere seems to give different advice!
Things like bacon are a definite 'no' in some books and a 'star' eat in others! I'm really confused!
The other discrepancies I found is advice on chicken thighs and sweet potatoes, as well as how much fruit you are allowed.
Anyone any advice?

A lot will depend on your goals (better health? weight loss? body recomposition?) as well as how your body responds to various things. What books do you have? It would probably be useful to pick one and stick to it initially and then bring other concepts once you're settled if you want to. :)

(which book warns you off chicken thighs? some older editions of paleo books took a 'fat is evil' stance but that's very outdated now and most have updated new editions accordingly)

I think a lot of the problem with going paleo is that everyone is different and can tolerate different things so its a case of trial and error :rolleyes:
Some people cant handle dairy while others are totally fine on it, some can get away with white rice and others cant.

Its probably best to start simple and every so often try something new and see how you go with it :) I am fine with dairy and nightshades (in moderation) but I have found that eating a lot of bananas and apples can slow my weight down so I try and stick to berries and just have them now and again.

I also find that nuts are very easy to overeat so only buy them every now and again.

I also agree with Plum that it really does depend on what you are trying to achieve too.

To me the main part of paleo/primal is that I dont eat grains and sugar and that all my meals are from natural ingredients that are not processed/processed as minimal as possible :cool:

Thanks for the advice! I'm trying to lose around 20lbs and just be healthier in general - I suffer from ibs, and it's much worse when I eat processed carbs!

Also how important is grass fed vs grain fed, there is no way I can afford grass fed as I'm already stretching mg budget with the volume if meat I will be buying!

I generally buy normal meat from the supermarket as that's what I can afford, when I see free range or organic etc on special I will buy it then. Same with veggies if I can afford it or it on special I will buy it .. But I do use only butter or coconut oils to cook with - Tesco's do a budge range of coconut oil by KTC for £2.25 - it say coconut oil only but it's not virgin coconut oil which is more expensive - but I can't afford it so I buy what I can afford .. It's all about choices but Also being realistic about how much you can afford - I def buy free range eggs every time as they are just so much nicer. You will save money cause you no longer buy processed foods and cereals :)

I m trying to adopt into paleo also... a good start is eliminating bread proceesed foods and sugar.

I'm also looking to loose weight however I want to adopt a way of eating for life.
I buy most of my meat from The butchers on the while not strictlyadhering to paleo rules it local and the quality taste is fair better than super market. I consider the price to be cheaper esp when buying in bulk or buying offers. for fruit and Veg I combine frozen organic with fresh local as I find fresh local tastes better Than tescos/asda organic. I'm not omitting dairy atm and don't plan in doing so

Back