Getting prescribed Xenical

like_a_feather

Thinking Thin!
Hi there

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this. I have been yoyoing for years between 16 and 21 stone (im 28yrs old) and really want to face my problem with food. I have started exercising and a low cal diet and have lost weight however I really need a push and to see some decent results.

I have not visited the doctor about my weight before, can anyone advise on the usual procedure for being prescribed this? Is it difficult to obtain?

Thank you

xx

Hi there

I would say make an appt with your docs & have a chat. All surgeries are different, mine wanted me to prove I'd lost some weight before she'd prescribe so I took my WW card from a couple of months earlier but a friend walked in to the same surgery the other day & was given them straight away. They then say you have to lose 5% of your body weight in 3 months or they'll stop prescribing. Good Luck & let us know how you get on

the first doctor i spoke to said i had to have lost weight first. when i saw the next doctor asking what help he could offer, he asked what i had done previously to lose weight , weightwatchers and lipotrim. although both true it was quite a while ago and he was so sympathetic saying i had really tried. he offered to refer me to the weight management clinic with a view to a gastric band but suggested xenicol first.

Every doc is different, but you will need a prescription. Boots and Lloyds Pharmacy do a private prescription service if you want to pay. You'd be better being monitored by a doctor, though I think Boots do review you in person. You are doing fantastically to be losing weight and following a healthy diet. You'll need to continue the healthy diet if you choose to go down the xenical route. Have a look at the stickies posted above. They will give you a good idea of what sort of diet you would be following, and possible side effects etc. You can then talk about it with your doctor if you think it is for you. And keep in touch with us here. The guys here are a very supportive bunch, and we all need that at times along the journey.

Hello!

thank you for all of your lovely replies. I am definately trying to change my attitude to food an I am the sort of person who needs a push one way or the other. I can stick to weightwatchers for months if I am with a friend, I can eat healthily at work if everyone else is...I am a bit weak minded I think! I have ordered the Paul Mckenna book/dvd/cd to try and refresh my brain on why I eat and the difference between being hungry and just being a pig. I really want a healthy attitude to food and I think having Xenical will not only boost my loss but get my mind and body used to smaller, healthier portions. I have had my fair share of living to eat it's time to eat to live a bit!

I will try and get an appointment for early next week and just explain the situation to the doctor. I hope she will assist as it is not something I can afford to do privately. I have never visited the doctor for anything weight-related so I am half expecting them to say that I need to go away and lose some weight first, but if that's the case then so be it. We are in it for the long haul after all :)

I had to go fortnightly to be weighed and prove that I could lose weight for 6 weeks and then they gave them to me. It's to prove you are going to work at it and not expect s miracle

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Hello!

thank you for all of your lovely replies. I am definately trying to change my attitude to food an I am the sort of person who needs a push one way or the other. I can stick to weightwatchers for months if I am with a friend, I can eat healthily at work if everyone else is...I am a bit weak minded I think! I have ordered the Paul Mckenna book/dvd/cd to try and refresh my brain on why I eat and the difference between being hungry and just being a pig. I really want a healthy attitude to food and I think having Xenical will not only boost my loss but get my mind and body used to smaller, healthier portions. I have had my fair share of living to eat it's time to eat to live a bit!

I will try and get an appointment for early next week and just explain the situation to the doctor. I hope she will assist as it is not something I can afford to do privately. I have never visited the doctor for anything weight-related so I am half expecting them to say that I need to go away and lose some weight first, but if that's the case then so be it. We are in it for the long haul after all :)
I hope things work out for the best for you. Keep us informed on how things go for you.

Tell the dr you have been doing research, tell him about the forum here and the support you would get. Any doctor should be glad topay for Xen if it means they don't have to pay for weight related health problems down the line! Good luck,

KB x

Tell the dr you have been doing research, tell him about the forum here and the support you would get. Any doctor should be glad topay for Xen if it means they don't have to pay for weight related health problems down the line! Good luck,

KB x

This is a good idea. It shows that you are thinking about things, taking it seriously, and not expecting a miracle cure.

Back