Getting the most out of meetings

Toots

Gold Member
Just wondered if you could tell me what format your meetings take

I have been to one on my first week and ducked out of weeks 2 and 3 straight after my weigh-ins. I really didn't find it helpful - an hour of going through each member and what they had lost/put on with lots of clapping. Whilst this is nice and encouraging, I really got no insight into the diet or tips etc and can think of better ways to spend my time.

Just wondered if this is the norm. Is this all that happens at meetings?

Thanks

xxx

Just as I feared!! The diet obviously works without the benefit of the meeting if your losses are anything to go by - you're doing really well

xx

Thanks hun :)

The first time I done it I lost about 7lb then gave up because I was eating the same food & got bored of it. I also couldnt get on with the red/green days. I absolutely love extra easy though, I wouldnt be able to lose weight without it! Im such a fussy eater you wouldnt believe! I thought id be fat forever lol :D

Hi Toots, this is the format meetings are supposed to take, but our consultant doesn't do it like that. We talk about all sorts, those who are having bad/good weeks, recipes, how to spot hidden syns. I love our meetings & get so much out of them. Have you thought of seeing if there is another nearby & sitting in that for a change?

I know that the 'happy clappy' part is a little cheezy. As our consultant goes around she always asks those who have lost if they did anything or ate anything different. It's usually at that point that other people pipe up with other ideas or recipes that they have tried too.

I always stay to the meeting. Yes there is a bit of clapping but that does not bother me. I always come away from the class inspired to do well. Our leader is excellent and very helpful.

Why pay to just get weighed? And especially since it is going up in the new year. Cheaper to go to Boots.

Irene xx

I'm a lazy cook so am tending to go for mainly green days. So far so good

Got off to a false start - started a week before my hols. Lost 5 lbs in weigh in 1. Weigh in 2 was after 2 week hol - 6 lbs on. Think I committed a BIIIIG meeting faux pas as genuinely didn't give a sh&t - I had a fab holiday and that 6 lbs will soon be gone (water retention from long haul flight and constipation from change of water have played a big part but didn't want to say that at the meeting as they my have though I was making exuses). I just couldn't bear to sit through the pitying looks for an hour :rolleyes:!!

Thanks for replying - think I'm going to continue to duck out after my weigh ins or I'll probably get agitated and not go back

xxx

Hi Toots, this is the format meetings are supposed to take, but our consultant doesn't do it like that. We talk about all sorts, those who are having bad/good weeks, recipes, how to spot hidden syns. I love our meetings & get so much out of them. Have you thought of seeing if there is another nearby & sitting in that for a change?

My leader is lovely - it's just that that was all there was - not my thing at all :sigh: Good idea to sit in on another meeting but if that's the format then will they not all be the same? :confused:

xx

I stay at my meetings, if I wasn't going to I may as well save the £4.50 and just weigh at home!

Normally at my meetings the SWC asks the group if anyone has had a bad week, struggled, or got any problems? Silence!!

Then she goes through individually with people and blow me down with a feather, a few have always been naughty/come off plan/just got something wrong and ending up putting on weight. Generally those who follow the plan lose EVERY week without fail!

It is good to hear the mistakes people have made, be they accidental or otherwise, so that I can make sure I don't make them myself.

I also like to hear new ideas for meals, exercise, and I do get a buzz from telling people I lost weight for the 3rd/4th/5th week in a row, makes me feel good.

It can get a bit gutty (sorry, bad word!) sometimes but the good overrides the bad easily in my opinion.

Ultimately though, it's whatever works for people as individuals. ALL that matters is that you lose weight on a plan that fits you well.

What else matters?

I always stay to the meeting. Yes there is a bit of clapping but that does not bother me. I always come away from the class inspired to do well. Our leader is excellent and very helpful.

Why pay to just get weighed? And especially since it is going up in the new year. Cheaper to go to Boots.

Irene xx
Hey Irene

Long time no speak - hope you're well

I hear what you're saying but I find the website REALLY helpful and need the password.

The clapping in itself is not my thing but it doesn't bother me...........but that's all there was. :confused: I thought there would be recipe ideas, hints, tips etc

My leader is lovely and I get the feeling that you could contact her any time. It's just that if that is the format of the meetings I would just rather go and get weighed then go to Asda for my shopping (wednesdays are the only nights when I'm not at the gym)

xxx

xxx

I stay at my meetings, if I wasn't going to I may as well save the £4.50 and just weigh at home!

QUOTE]

I agree but I think that the website is worth it

xxx

Although I'm a great advocate of staying to meetings - I'm sure that I learn something new every week - I certainly wish that there was a lot more time for discussion between class members. If you belong to a big group, it takes SO long to get round everybody, there's not time for anything else!

I do wish that, perhaps once a month or something, we could have a discussion evening where anyone could pitch in with questions, and ask the group for help or ideas, or suggestions for recipes, eating out, or ways to reduce syns, or what excercise others were doing etc etc. Obviously, some of these things do arise during Image Therapy, but there is NEVER enough time to follow things through!

BUT, if SW have laid down this formula, then I suppose Consultants have to stick to it! Also, it must be much easier to control a 'round the room session' than a general free for all, with the loud ones dominating, and others not joining in at all...

Any comments anyone?

I am going every week, but because i am an anxious person i can not sit there, all on my lonesem (sp) And i don't know anyone there! I say hello, pay, get weighed and i am out of there!

Might stay next week, will have my daughter with me, might feel i can stay then! :)

I started my group a year ago last September and since then I have been to every meeting bar last Crimbo and my 1 week hols in May. I have made friends with several ladies, we all go for a tea or coffee after the meet. We swap clothes as we grow out of them and pass them on to the newbies.
We have taster sessions every month and although we do do the clapping, our consultant always asks the target members how they're doing, what they're doing to maintain. What advice they might have to someone else who might be struggling that week.
She asks people if they have anything coming up that week which might sabotage their losses and asks them how they plan to manage it. She asks other members what they feel is the best way to go out and have a good time whilst trying their best to stick to plan. Advice from what meals to what are the lowest syn'd drinks and mixers.
If we know of any offers or deals which are currently on in the supermarkets we inform the group.
We swap recipes and ideas. I told one lady about the microwave crisps and at the next tasting she bought in microwaved beetroot crisps, done exactly the same way, and they were great.

All in all, we have a laugh. When we have a loss but we don't know how, especially after we list all the naughties we've eaten all week, the crushed grapes we've drunk and the take aways that we couldn't say 'no' too.

If your not happy with your group and you say you have a nice consultant, make some suggestions to her as to how to make it more interesting and valuable information to other members. Get target members included to help the newbies etc. It's those people who are the inspiration after all and who we aspire to follow in our weight losses.

Im not sure on the image therapy as we do the loss/sts/gain clappy thing and maybe a disscusion but there's always one who likes their voice heard more than others which is annoying. Ive only been 3 times so far but we've not really done a major session on recipes, syns, healthy extras etc. May try and bring it up as a discussion this week recipes etc

I have been to all the groups and found them really useful we do the whole clap thing but loads of fun stuff too - whoever wins slimmer of the week gets a bowl of fruit (everyone brings a piece to class) - so thats motivation to win it and same money on fruit. We do a raffle 50p for something silly like I won silicone baking cups the other week. My group are really nice we ask lots of questions give loads of advice, recipes and have a xmas hamper going and a planned night out in the new year.

I have only been at slimming world for 3 weeks but already feel a part of my group and in the past I have done weight watchers where there was no class after and I was just paying to get weighed - ultimatley I failed!, I was very hungry as well and had no support network :(

The classes for me are motivating, nice to have a good old chat with people who are fighting the same battle, informative. Yes the website is great but I think if I didn't attend class I would soon start to slip, I guess its just a personal thing.

Whichever way you do it good luck on your journey

Although I'm a great advocate of staying to meetings - I'm sure that I learn something new every week - I certainly wish that there was a lot more time for discussion between class members. If you belong to a big group, it takes SO long to get round everybody, there's not time for anything else!

I do wish that, perhaps once a month or something, we could have a discussion evening where anyone could pitch in with questions, and ask the group for help or ideas, or suggestions for recipes, eating out, or ways to reduce syns, or what excercise others were doing etc etc. Obviously, some of these things do arise during Image Therapy, but there is NEVER enough time to follow things through!

BUT, if SW have laid down this formula, then I suppose Consultants have to stick to it! Also, it must be much easier to control a 'round the room session' than a general free for all, with the loud ones dominating, and others not joining in at all...

Any comments anyone?

Totally agree. Not taking away from the congrats/clapping part of the programme but I need more in the way of guidance :)

I am going every week, but because i am an anxious person i can not sit there, all on my lonesem (sp) And i don't know anyone there! I say hello, pay, get weighed and i am out of there!

Might stay next week, will have my daughter with me, might feel i can stay then! :)

I'm the same. I even asked my leader not to read out my gains/losses as I don't like attention being drawn to myself

I started my group a year ago last September and since then I have been to every meeting bar last Crimbo and my 1 week hols in May. I have made friends with several ladies, we all go for a tea or coffee after the meet. We swap clothes as we grow out of them and pass them on to the newbies.
We have taster sessions every month and although we do do the clapping, our consultant always asks the target members how they're doing, what they're doing to maintain. What advice they might have to someone else who might be struggling that week.
She asks people if they have anything coming up that week which might sabotage their losses and asks them how they plan to manage it. She asks other members what they feel is the best way to go out and have a good time whilst trying their best to stick to plan. Advice from what meals to what are the lowest syn'd drinks and mixers.
If we know of any offers or deals which are currently on in the supermarkets we inform the group.
We swap recipes and ideas. I told one lady about the microwave crisps and at the next tasting she bought in microwaved beetroot crisps, done exactly the same way, and they were great.

All in all, we have a laugh. When we have a loss but we don't know how, especially after we list all the naughties we've eaten all week, the crushed grapes we've drunk and the take aways that we couldn't say 'no' too.

If your not happy with your group and you say you have a nice consultant, make some suggestions to her as to how to make it more interesting and valuable information to other members. Get target members included to help the newbies etc. It's those people who are the inspiration after all and who we aspire to follow in our weight losses.

You see, that sounds like a good meeting to me to me. May give the suggestions to leader a few weeks though. Don't want to be the newbie and saying "I would do it like this" :eek:

Im not sure on the image therapy as we do the loss/sts/gain clappy thing and maybe a disscusion but there's always one who likes their voice heard more than others which is annoying. Ive only been 3 times so far but we've not really done a major session on recipes, syns, healthy extras etc. May try and bring it up as a discussion this week recipes etc

There's always one isn't there? :rolleyes: It doesn't give the quieter member a chance does it? I have an auntie like that - I love her to bits, she has a heart of gold and doesn't mean any harm but I could quite happily throttle her at times ;)

I have been to all the groups and found them really useful we do the whole clap thing but loads of fun stuff too - whoever wins slimmer of the week gets a bowl of fruit (everyone brings a piece to class) - so thats motivation to win it and same money on fruit. We do a raffle 50p for something silly like I won silicone baking cups the other week. My group are really nice we ask lots of questions give loads of advice, recipes and have a xmas hamper going and a planned night out in the new year.

I have only been at slimming world for 3 weeks but already feel a part of my group and in the past I have done weight watchers where there was no class after and I was just paying to get weighed - ultimatley I failed!, I was very hungry as well and had no support network :(

The classes for me are motivating, nice to have a good old chat with people who are fighting the same battle, informative. Yes the website is great but I think if I didn't attend class I would soon start to slip, I guess its just a personal thing.

Whichever way you do it good luck on your journey

Thanks - I think I have it sussed this time either with or without the meeting support. (I'm not living on powder, cutting out potatoes or pointing my fruit) The classes would be a nice support but if it's not to be then I always have the website and minimins.

Thanks everyone. May stay for another class but I think I will need to be in the right frame of mind just in case it is the same as the first one.

xxx

i think the meetings are helpful and do stay but only because i have made some realy good freinds there we chat befor the meeting starts and say what we have done differently ect they always ask how ive done when i get off the scales swap recipes ect ,then the class starts and the consultant although very nice is not very informative and half the time doesnt even know the password lol ,when i went years ago we had a great consultant who used to do quizzes to see what you knew for prizes raffels,tasters, she got everyone to bring in empty packets of new foods with the syn value written on in a basket ,she would print off recipes she was great sadly she left a few years ago although this one tries not a patch on the old one x

Back