Glasses or contacts?

ColJack

Gold Member
I need some new glasses.
Now, do I get two new pairs for the price of one, or go for the 3 month supply of contact with the one pair?
Worn glasses since about 12 years old so I don't know if I look ok without now.

What do you lot think?

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

Attachments

• image-138348161.jpg
    image-138348161.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 165
  • image-3394719343.jpg
    image-3394719343.jpg
    352.9 KB · Views: 179
As long as you're comfy with it, i'd vote for lenses. You may not like being without your specs after such a long time but if you do, you might then consider laser correction (if suitable) and do without both.

I often fall asleep in my glasses so I'd need lenses that I could leave in safely should the need arise.

Think I'll do the 30 day trial to see if I get on with the lenses.

I'd go for 1 pair & lenses then you have a choice. Maybe you could just wear lenses out but then you might get on really well with them & wear all the time.

BTW you are looking great :)

I would go for the lenses hun! You look MUCH better without glasses :D but it is what you are comfortable with, I would prefer to wear lenses but I am not sure if I would feel comfortable using them. xxx

I have appalling eyesight (-4.75 each eye) and bought contacts with my first post-grad paycheck in September 86. I've never looked back. So to speak. :D

There are far more types of contacts available now. These days I wear varifocal lenses pity help me. :eek: Most opticians are more than happy to trial daily, monthly, whatever lenses to find the ones that best suit.

I was stuck with the same thing! Really wasn't sure if I could handle probing my eyes every day :S it took me a good couple of weeks to get used to them but so glad I did!

You look great without btw!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Looking great without the specs but perhaps try the rimless specs they do now. I wear them and they almost cant be noticed then you could have contacts as the others as a trial. I just got a similar offer in Boots.

i've been thinking about having my eyes lazered for a while now.. i could never wear contacts (i have a thing about eye's being touched *shudders*) but you do look good without glasses, how about both, contacts day to day and glasses just incase ..

i would say get a new style of glasses tho, the ones you are wearing now are abit on the large size for your new skinnier face .

Definately go with the lenses! You look really good without the glasses, it suits you!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

(sorry to crash your forum! But I've had the same dilemma)

I think you'll look great with a smaller style of glasses, the optician should help you choose some that suit you (because, helpfully, many of us can't see what we look like in the trial frames because the lenses are just glass - d'oh. Don't forget too that you can ask them to snap you on your mobile phone and order the glasses after consulting with friends/family, just make sure you know which pic is with which frame). You look great without, too, though (although as a nearly lifelong glasses wearer myself I know how weird that feels).

Whether you should then get a second pair or contacts is therefore dependant on whether they can give you a kind of contact lenses that suits your needs (ie can fall asleep wearing them) and whether you're comfortable interacting so closely with your eyeballs.

When I was going through this, I explained to the optician and so they were very patient and took their time trying disposable lenses on me. It became very quickly apparent that I was *not* comfortable interacting with my eyeballs *at all* and so I continue in life with my specs. :) but at least know I know! :)

Try the lenses....and choose specs with your lenses in! You always need specs anyway.
Try lots of different styles and colours even if you look at them and think 'no way' try them on anyway.
Take some photos and then decide.

I can never understand why we only spend a few minutes choosing something we wear every day!

With the lenses you may feel naked the first few days, it can be disconcerting, I wore sunnies for driving until I got used to being frame free!

Have a pair of glasses and some contacts as you can only wear contacts for so many hours and you still need a couple of days rest so you will need your glass. The glasses in the pic above I personally think are too big. A small pair of rectangle one will look fab. I wear glasses and contacts and have several pairs of different designs so I don't get bored.

I just wear glasses, but i'm always saying i should have glasses too.

You look good with out the glasses, but i thinks just the style of them that doesn't suit you. So you would prob luck good in a new style

Lenses are great - I've worn them for 8 years and had no problems, but recently I've decided to get myself a new pair of glasses as the ones I have now are a couple of years old and not up to date with my prescription. I wasn't bothered by this for a while as I only wore them when I got in and out of bed, but I've decided I want to wear them more often now as it's not good for my eyes.

I echo what the others have said about choosing some smaller frames, if you have some lovely specs that you like wearing then that's great, and you could get some lenses for maybe when you're off out somewhere or other times when it's just more convenient.

I've noticed that since I've been wearing my glasses more often (to give my eyes a break) I've noticed all the annoying things about glasses I'd forgotten - light reflecting, not being able to see over the top (annoying for me at work when I'm trying to stack shelves way at the back... ha) and just the feeling of having something on my face. Strange when you're not used to it for a while.

The reason my existing frames are so big is that I don't like the blur round the periphery of my vision and hate having to move my head to face what I'm looking at if that makes sense.

Not sure I'd get on with smaller frames for that reason but the contacts would eliminate that completely so if it's just for odd days and evenings then I can live with smaller frames.

I like the idea of being able to wear some fancy sunglasses as at the moment I'm restricted to either clip on ones or having to slot them inside my existing glasses ( which looks ridiculous but is a must when driving sometimes. )

I also have the problem of having reactalight lenses in mine.
My eyes don't like bright light for some reason so I've always had them.
I don't suppose they do reactalight contacts. :) ?
Just means I'll need to carry sunnies with me wherever I go.

ColJack said:
The reason my existing frames are so big is that I don't like the blur round the periphery of my vision and hate having to move my head to face what I'm looking at if that makes sense.

Not sure I'd get on with smaller frames for that reason but the contacts would eliminate that completely so if it's just for odd days and evenings then I can live with smaller frames.

I like the idea of being able to wear some fancy sunglasses as at the moment I'm restricted to either clip on ones or having to slot them inside my existing glasses ( which looks ridiculous but is a must when driving sometimes. )

I also have the problem of having reactalight lenses in mine.
My eyes don't like bright light for some reason so I've always had them.
I don't suppose they do reactalight contacts. :) ?
Just means I'll need to carry sunnies with me wherever I go.

I'm sur you will get to the blur! What type of perscrption do you have?? My dad has varifocals and always had glasses like yours becAuse he didn't wand to move his head to look! Lol but now he has a small stylish pair he said it took some getting used to but he likes them now ! Iv had lenses or the last 8 years or so! And I went to vision express and they put them in for me the first time ad then I trialed them round the town centre for an hour or so then I said I wanted them and then they took tem out and made me put them back in! And tought me how to do it! Once thy saw I coils they let me leave and I went back a week later to show them again that I could do it and just a general check up! =]and that was te end some people can do and some people can't but a good optition should show you! I used to wea my lenses all the time but then I became self employed lol and now I just wear my glasses and wear my lenses on social occasions! Hope iv been some help :)

Sometimes it helps to use different fingers to put them in, I prefer using my ring finger to my index finger.

Today is C day.

Why the heck am I nervous.?
It's not like I can fail an eye test. !!

Back