Globetrotting Jen - slimming on the road!

Hello everyone!

I'm one year into a life of indefinite travel and, as awesome as it all is, I'm finding that my weight is having an detrimental effect on the choices I make and the experiences I'm having. Not always, but it's things like the extra anxiety of having to wear a wetsuit if I want to learn to dive, or not being able to wear skirts in hot weather because my thighs rub together. Worst of all, I don't really want my picture taken because I hate seeing how big I am, but I know that I'll really want to look back on these photos at some point.

I'm in Chiang Mai, Thailand with my husband at the moment and I've come to the realisation that this isn't a holiday where I can go home in a couple of weeks and cook healthy food and go back to the gym to sort myself out. This is my life! I have to do something now, but without denying myself that huge and important part of travel - food!

So I figure that SW was the best plan for me as you can eat pretty much anything as long as it's within your syns. Plus, with all that rice sitting about the place, Asia was MADE for green days! :)

Anyway - I did SW a couple of years ago so I'm assuming I can remember how it all works but if not I guess my options are a) to see if they can send me pdf versions of the books if I join again online, or b) just get my mum to photocopy the relevant pages and email them over! No expense spared on that last one...

Other than that, I'm arming myself with some methods of accountability to keep me focused and mindful of what I'm eating - this diary will be one of them, another is that I'm going to use the 1 baht musical scales they have outside all the Tesco's here to track my weight (my local one plays 'There's no place like home' when you put the coin in), I'm also going to track the size of my upper arms (hate my bingo wings), thighs (them too), waist and hips (meh). And take photos of myself too. That way I figure I'm tracking all the important things that show how I'm progressing. I'm a bugger for losing motivation if it doesn't seem like things are working.

So that's it. Weigh in and food diary tomorrow. Better get planning my food too... Eek!

Yesterday's food diary:

Breakfast - porridge (healthy b) and mixed fruit (free), skimmed milk (healthy a)

Lunch - dried egg noodles (free) with pork and veg cooked in 1tbsp veg oil (6?), oyster sauce (1/2 a syn)

Dinner - boiled white rice, slow roast pork and a soft boiled egg (no sauce), served at the Cowboy Hat lady's street food stall on the north wall
Dessert - chopped apple and 2 small glasses of red wine - 9 syns

Total syns - 15.5 (oops)

Exercise - none. Struggling to shake a massive headache and a chesty cough (didn't stop me having the vino though)

Interesting to see my food laid out like this, haven't done it for ages. Might have to keep revisiting Cowboy Hat lady for as long as we're in Chiang Mai as she's rocking a syn-free meal!

So yesterday was a good day! We're really busy working on getting our iPhone app ready for iOS 7 so didn't manage to leave the co-working office all day. We had half a sandwich for breakfast and half for lunch, which isn't ideal but it was full of good stuff and I didn't feel deprived or hungry at all. All that was topped off with an hour of yoga with madam Weena who had the bloody cheek to poke one of my bingo wings during Warrior 2. Outrageous!

Breakfast and Lunch - (1/2 a sandwich for breakie, half for lunch)
2 slices of wholemeal bread (HE b) with 1/2 avocado (7 sins), 1 egg, a thin slice of cheese (healthy A) and salad, no spread
2 litres of water
black tea

Dinner - grilled pork, boiled pork and grilled chicken thigh, boiled rice

+ 1 glass of red wine 4.5 syns

Total: 11.5 syns

+ 1 hour of yoga

Really sore this morning after yoga but hopefully that means it's tightening up the wobbly bits.

Think i may have had some unidentified syns yesterday as not entirely sure what went into my lunch and dinner. Had the most amazing blue noodles - proper bright blue. Apparently there's a flower they use to dye the flour. I'm assuming flowers are syn-free?! Otherwise, a rather stressful day trying to get the app ready, but at least we managed to leave the office for lunch! No exercise sadly, have got into a bad habit of working late, getting to bed at around 1am then being too knackered to get up in time to exercise. Very nearly gave in to the banana pancake man outside or apartment but stayed strong! I'm sure it would be a huge disappointment if I actually had one, but it smells a-mazing.

Yesterday's food:

Breakfast
Wholemeal roll (HE b) with tuna, sweetcorn and salad (no spread or mayo)

Lunch
Half a bowl of boiled pork soup and half a plate of blue noodles with roasted pork (both shared with hubby)

Dinner
Potato and mushroom broth and brown rice

No HE A today - at least I don't think so! Hmmm

3 glasses of wine: 13.5 syns

Back