Go to group or do on-line?

I'm wondering what makes people choose to do it on-line or go to group.
I know with group you get support but I can't decide what to do for best.

Most people who do group say they want the support.
Ive done both and personally find online works better for me because I don't like all the happy clappy side of the meetings. Online is financially a rip off though and I can understand why people don't like it. It's just as much as meetings, access to online stuff but you don't get it free when you get to target like you do with meetings!!

Oh and weighing in naked is frowned upon at meetings but doing it online means you can do it first thing in the buff after a wee!!

;)

I have tried both
I find it harder to go it alone
A friend and I go together and back to hers for a slimming world lunch
We take it in turns to cook for it that way we can share recipes both of us are vegetarians so it's great to develop our own versions of things we love

I did 7 months at group, I've got the hang of it now and find that mini mins helps to keep me on track more than group did, but I know my sister struggled to go it alone and the thought of her failings being read out kept her motivated, but led to her skipping WIs when she thought she had a bad week (but she still had to pay for it)

I have a voucher to get 3 months online for £40 that does work out cheaper than going to class but it's having the £40 in the first place that I'm struggling with but I think I would prefer not one to know I'm doing it (apart from people on here that is lol)

I get very stressed when people know I'm trying to lose weight, don't ask me why I don't know.
I'm thinking online might be better for me

Yeah that's why I'm not allowed to go back to group ;)

To be honest I'm my own worst critic so get no benefit from group. It's a very individual thing. For every one who says group is best there is one who prefers the privacy of home :)

I did join a group today but only coz I can't get the website to log me onto the online one, I have contacted SW to ask them to sort it so as soon as they can I'm going to do online

At least you'll know the pros and cons yourself now.

Last edited:
Yes and I think by doing it at home I won't stress myself out to much.
After being weighed today I realised that I have only put on 1lb since the beginning of February

I do the group not even for the support but for the fact I can't trust myself .. if I could than I wouldn't be as overweight as I am . I need that pressure and knowledge that if I cheat someone else sees my failure too

I started back this weekend after a 2 year hiatus. I've gone back to online membership because my local groups are very busy and I really don't have the patience to sit there for nearly 2 hours . I am very disappointed though because I'm a veggie and only do the green plan as I don't want to give up my hex! But they only cover extra easy plan. So the food diaries etc are pointless for me. I sent them an email to complain that all plans should be on there.

Luckily I have my books I can refer to and have now rejoined here to keep up to date with foods that used to be free but now are synned :)

I've done both, group works better for me as it gives me the discipline I need. I also like staying for image therapy and hearing how others have done and y and get some tips.

i prefer online, can't stand all the clapping and body image stuff after class. It goes on far too long for my liking. I know many people who swear by the classes and and the support you get. But, i think it all comes down to the type of person you are and what motivates you. I have tried classes numerous times and end up hating them and do better on my own. Both work but it just depends on what type of person you are :)

I have moved recently and there are no groups here at all so I have no choice but to do online!
The groups were great, though like some have said they can last for quite some time. A lot of ladies at my group used to come just to get weighed however, which I suppose helps keep you on track as you cant kid yourself after a bad week.

I enjoyed group, but I am enjoying going online too as there's a lot of support and variety available!

Oh and weighing in naked is frowned upon at meetings but doing it online means you can do it first thing in the buff after a wee!!

;)

THIS! :D

I'm just not into the groups. I know many swear by them and it's works for them, but not me. Once I get my head straight abd focus I'm fine and online works for me.

I think it doesn't help that I'm a vegan and I find most of what they talk about not relevant to me. Plus I just done have a morning free to go sit and get weighed and stuff.

You have to do what works for you ultimately :)

I don't go to groups - very shy and awkward! I'm currently not paying for an online memebership easier, I'm doing it mostly with help from my mum who bought a starter pack of ebay about a year ago and google....SO grateful for Minimins, it's like my SW bible most days.

I'm a bit of a lurker online too, but the support in some of the threads is bloody fantastic and makes me feel like I'm part of a community - we're all in this together and that feeling is a massive motivator for me. If you're doing it online, ABSOLUTELY keep a food diary and post it if you can - I've started doing this as it's the only way I'll be honest and I'm finding it super helpful.

I don't think there's any harm in trying both and just seeing what works for you! That's all that matters, at the end of the day :)

Back