Going out for curry-any tips?!

xeilidhx

Gold Member
Got a works do on Friday and we're going for curry. What's a diet friendly choice? Already know no rice, poppadoms or naan :'( but unsure what kind of sauces I'm allowed! Help!

I think... you can get like.. tikka chicken or lamb in curry houses that are not in like thick sauces but are dry and have been mairnated and cooked in the sauce/spices but not served with them? I could be wrong.. or this could be only certain places!

Yeah dry tandoori tikka, you could probably get away with having some sort of spinach dish with it and lots of onion salad!

Thanks guys....would normally pig out, I love poppadoms! And starters like bhaji and samosa :( it's highly tempting to have 2 mains and no sides, and I'm swapping days to make it pv at least! A wee vodka may pass my lips, however that'll be one day short of two months dry!!

I love curry and would concur with chicken or lamb tikka for starters - and then either tandoori chicken (or fish if they do it) with a sag (spinach) side and/or mushroom bhaji - as said a good main course alternative is chicken sag. Enjoy your meal.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Oooh teddy am I allowed bhaji? Thought there'd be carbs lurking!

Dont get too excited - mushroom bhaji is name of side dish made primarily with mushrooms - but also with onion and tomatoes :). For some reason many Indian veg side dishes are called bhajis

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Still more exciting than sitting with just protein! I'll investigate-sure it'll provide much amusement as usual!

Might try to find te menu and get further advice-takeaway/indian menus confuse me normally! I have the same every time!

Paneer is closer to cottage cheese than full fat cheese, so it's sort of Dukan-ish...

I've been scouring the menu.....no starters look suitable :( have looked at chicken/prawn rogan josh or palak....the only info on the menu suggests "Cooked on flavoured spices and topped with moistly cooked tomatoes." and "Cooked with spinach and authentic spice of India." and potentially a side of mushroom bhajee, depending if they're coated/in a sauce etc.

This is so hard :(

Any ideas if those things are suitable?

Lets face it, we love curru in this country coz they are cooked in ghee! Adapted for our palets! I dont think there are any 'good' choices appart from illiminating the rice!!

I had cauliflower bhajii the other night, still had a greasy sauce on it!

I say enjoy it and worry about it afterwards, just dont go over board!

urgh....i'd really rather enjoy it cause i'm behaving :(

nothing on the menu matched what you guys had said! i've emailed the restaurant to investigate into options without coatings/batter/crust or chickpeas/peas/flour....its so hard! can't exactly not go- i don't want to miss out!

handbag food?!

So far, so good. Emailed in advance and they gave me advice. And recommendations! So far have resisted all bad foods, and as best as I could chosen better sauces! Despite people sayin I should have a night off!! Happy

xeilidhx said:
So far, so good. Emailed in advance and they gave me advice. And recommendations! So far have resisted all bad foods, and as best as I could chosen better sauces! Despite people sayin I should have a night off!! Happy

Thats excellent! What did the restaurant recommend? Im only asking coz every weekend for the past 7 years we've either eaten out or had a take-away!!

I was thinking if we had curry tomorrow id opt for chicken saag and cauliflower bhaji minusing all popadoms etc

Well I had vegetable chat to start, was just veg in spices, no flour etc used and no peas or chickpeas in the veg. 2 1/2 potatoes so they got scooped out! Then I had chicken palak, chicken with spinach and spices and a side of mushroom bajee which I thought was coated in a crust etc but was just plain onion and mushroom. May have been a bit oil I guess but I ignored poppadoms, naan and rice! And took a doggy bag away cause I was so stuffed I only ate less than half!! X

If I thought i'd make it through months without going out to eat, I would have said I was crazy. Xeili, you're two weeks before me, and i'd say, it's amazing! First time I went out last weekend and dh and I greeted along checking out menus, deciding on the one with a nice steak entree. I was going to go off for that one meal, maybe a martini.

I didn't. Changed the garlic mashed potatoes to a salad. The waiter somehow forgot the sautéed mushrooms and I let it go. Ended up only eating the steak, so kept to my pp day after all.

Somehow this all messes with my head. Old ways are dropping by the wayside. And, even the little breakdowns no longer carry the superior gratification they used to. Once I said no to the potatoes, I've had them before, and I just couldn't/didn't want the martini after all, the rest was easy.

I bet you'll have a similar experience. With so much wonderful energy you've put into this, I bet you'll choose exactly what compromise is right for you. How can you not? You're going into it with conscious decisiveness to do what works best for you.

Back