Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton, Jamaica - anyone been or recommend somewhere in Jamaic

x Alex x

Silver Member
HI
Im just wondering if any one has been to the above hotel. sounds fine for me, but the other half likes to go out and about and do things and im not sure if is too far from montego bay for him, has anyone been? or can anyone recomend another 4/5* hotel in jamaica.

ive tried looking on trip advisor but get so many mixed reviews for so many of the resorts

Hi Alex

We returned from Jamaica 5 June & had a great holiday. The hotel & people where we stayed were lovely but there was nowhere to wander at nights. We stayed at riu tropical Palace, bloody bay, negril. The setting & beach were fantastic & great for sunsets but was a long way from the main sightseeing places. We dd a trip to Martha brae river/Dunns river falls & funnily enough we called in at grand palladium on the way (long story but they wanted us to pick up a coupe & take to airport on the way! ) . It is a huge hotel but didnt see much of it I'm afraid.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say us if you want fun & to see lots of places, but don't want a 7 hour round trip then negril area won't be for you. Can't even remember exactly where grand palladium is. (The journey from the airport to our hotel was 1.5 hrs but that was by taxi so it was ok) .

Anway, where ever you chose, I'm sure you'll have a great time. Great food, free flowing delicious caribean cocktails & all inclusive will have you panicking about the diet but I was chuffed as I ony put on 1 lb in the 2 wks. ;)

Did you make any decision?
Xx

no not yet, did you go out of your complex at night at all? or only in the day?

No we didnt go out in the evenings. Not because we felt unsafe but there was nowhere nearby to go. When we were on the beack there were people coming along giving out tickets to Margueritaville or a local similar venue for dancing & drinking. Basically they picked you up from your hotel & took you to the place which was free to get in but you had to buy your drinks. I think they said you could pay $20 for all inc drinks for the night or buy as you drank. We didnt actually speak to anyone who went but I know some did go.( I think people thought Ive already paid so Im not paying again, so it was the younger ones wanting a bit of life as the entertainment in the hotel was very low key.) I guess it was probably a bit livelier in Negril itself which wasnt far from us but again, we didnt go there.

As I said, I don't really know the hotel you are looking at going to. My husband did actually look at Grand Paladium as there was a very good offer & it looked lovely but it was too big for us to be honest. When you turn into the hotel from the road there are long drives to get to the actual buildings so it would be a long walk up to the road to walk anywhere. Just asked my husband & he said there aren't any local places nearby that looked worth going to.

You say you have looked at trip adviser? I looked at the Riu Palace before we went & almost changed my mind due to some of the reviews!! When we arrived we were upgraded to a sea view (side) and it was a brilliant room which overlooked the sea, main buffet restaurant and pools beyond that. Although we had a brilliant holiday and the hotel, staff & beach etc were gorgeous Im not sure we would go back unless we wanted another chill out holiday and not go sight seeing as it was just too far away from anything. (Well Rick's cafe was close but we werent interested in a booze cruise & seeing the sunsets as we could do that from our own beach. Ha ha)

If you want a lot of sightseeing etc then suggest Runaway Bay, Discovery Bay, Ocho Rios. Bloody Bay, Negril is about 1hr 15mins from airport, GP about 1 hr, (both northern resorts) the Ocho Rios is about 1.5 hrs from the airport (south) . Runaway Bay, Discovery Bay are prob about 30-45 mins from airport, again south . We particularly wanted Negril area as we wanted a beautiful beach, nice hotel & time for 'chillin' out. (negril 7 mile beach & Bloody Bay are supposed to be the best beaches on the island).

These are what we can remember (OK I know it was only a couple of months ago. ha ha) so I hope they are of some help. I'm sure whereever you go you'll have a great time.

Back