Grapefruit

sarahaa

Hi all I'm just wondering if you think that grapefruit speeds up metabolisms?

I know you get diets based on it, and it's also a super speed food, but do u think if I ate half every day it would help?

Thank in advance
Saz xxx

Well it's not going to do you any harm but I would treat any claims about boosting metabolism with a pinch of salt.

Grapefruit! The grapefruit diet is not a myth. Researchers at Scripps Clinic found that participants who ate half a grapefruit with each meal in a 12-week period lost an average of 3.6 pounds. The study indicates that the unique chemical properties in this vitamin C-packed citrus fruit reduce insulin levels, which promotes weight loss and boost metabolism. NOTE: If you are taking medication, check with your doctor about any potentially adverse interactions with grapefruit. Grapefruit, because of the soft peel is a nice alternative to an apple of orange and study after study of the last 30 years has shown that it can really help burn fat.

from Metabolism Boosting Foods

Thanks little miss, I will continue on with eating my grapefruit then... But with every meal? Don't know if I could manage it 3 times a day!

Grapefruit! The grapefruit diet is not a myth. Researchers at Scripps Clinic found that participants who ate half a grapefruit with each meal in a 12-week period lost an average of 3.6 pounds. The study indicates that the unique chemical properties in this vitamin C-packed citrus fruit reduce insulin levels, which promotes weight loss and boost metabolism. NOTE: If you are taking medication, check with your doctor about any potentially adverse interactions with grapefruit. Grapefruit, because of the soft peel is a nice alternative to an apple of orange and study after study of the last 30 years has shown that it can really help burn fat.

from Metabolism Boosting Foods

Thanks for the link, thats very handy to know. My mum always ate grapefruit before her meals when she was dieting. Think its been around for a long time so seems there may be something in it. x

The study you mention was apparently funded by the Florida Department of Citrus (who would have thought they even existed!) so I would treat results with some caution. Also the average weight losses were very low at 2.4 to 3.5lbs over a 12 week period and I think most of us would be disappointed to lose that much weight over 3 months. Participants also increased their exercise a bit so that could also be a contributory factor. While interested a single study does not however mean there is definitive evidence of the benefits and to be honest who wants to eat half a grapefruit before each meal every day?

Red grapefruit is ace! I eat them like an orange, get strange looks at work when I'm peeling them though :)

If you are taking statins for high cholesterol, check whether you are allowed to eat grapefruit. It will say on the leaflet that comes in the box.

I love grapefruit. I cut it up and put in a mini Tupperware to eat at work on coffee break. Mmm :) it's 3 for 90p in Lidl at the moment, think they are pink ones.

I used to enjoy 1/2 with brekkie but gave them up when I learned citrus might be to blame for my increased problems with mouth ulcers.

If it doesn't list grapefruit as a contraindication on the leaflet which comes with the medication, then it should be fine. But if you aren't sure, ask your doctor for advice.

Yeah I'm going to ask him. It says nothing on the leaflet but when i had a grapefruit the other day i had a very unpleasant experience afterwards... :-S

Back