Green Days: dont no what to do with Tofu

superslim1972

This may sound abit daft for a vegetarian but I bought some smoked Tofu today apart from adding it to stir fry what elce can I use it for :) xx

Sent from my Arc using MiniMins

Try googling! Thats the easiest way to find recipes for any ingredient :)

it makes a good paperweight...

:D

Sorry but I had to laugh at the last comment :) I have tried to love tofu, honestly I have! But it absolutely defeats me, obviously I need to be taken to a good Japanese restaurant, but I had a wonderful spinach and sweet potato curry for lunch, tofu, no thanks!!!

lol, :D

That made me laugh :-D beginning to wish I hadn't bought it now Lol. Xx

Can't you make desserts with Tofu? I have never tried it before...too scared that I might not like it lol.

Ooh I just found this for you, I hope it helps.

7. Raspberry & Tofu Brulee

Syns per Serving | Original & Green – 1½ Syns
Servings | 4

Ingredients
- 250gm pack plain tofu
- 200gm frozen raspberries (2 Syns when pureed)
- 2tbsp golden syrup (4 Syns)
- 2tbsp granulated sweetener

Method
1. Place tofu in a food processor and blend to a smooth paste.

2. Add frozen raspberries and golden syrup to the tofu and blend until smooth.

3. Divide the mixture between four ramekin dishes.

4. Sprinkle half a tablespoon of sweetener over each ramekin.

5. Preheat a grill on high and place the ramekins underneath for 4-5 minutes until the sweetener bubbles and caramelises.

6. Remove, cool and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.

Sounds lovely but my tofo is smoked ;-) may fast abit odd xxx

There's some great tofu recipes here - http://www.theppk.com/tag/tofu/

I can vouch for the scrambled tofu recipe - gorgeous!

Main thing is to make sure you have the right tofu for the recipe (silken tofu and extra firm act very differently!) and if using extra firm it's often wise to press it first (depending on the recipe) to get all of the water out, tofu soaks up a marinade much better if pressed first and therefore tastes much nicer when cooked.

Here's a good little guide to pressing, preparing and cooking good stuff with tofu which will hopefully be of use :) http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy-eating/latest/easy-tofu-cooking-tips-47012001

There's some great tofu recipes here - tofu | Post Punk Kitchen | Vegan Baking & Vegan Cooking

I can vouch for the scrambled tofu recipe - gorgeous!

Main thing is to make sure you have the right tofu for the recipe (silken tofu and extra firm act very differently!) and if using extra firm it's often wise to press it first (depending on the recipe) to get all of the water out, tofu soaks up a marinade much better if pressed first and therefore tastes much nicer when cooked.

Here's a good little guide to pressing, preparing and cooking good stuff with tofu which will hopefully be of use :) Easy Tofu Cooking Tips - How to Press and Cook Tofu - The Daily Green

These all look yummy :)

These all look yummy :)

The PPK is brill for vegan cooking in general - I've cooked so many nice things from that website! Not everything is SW friendly so tweaking of recipes is required. ;) But the end results are very much worth it.

Btw if you ever see a copy of Appetite for Reduction in a book shop have a look at it - it has some gorgeous tofu recipes and everything is low fat and mainly SW friendly, just omit the oil ;) x

The PPK is brill for vegan cooking in general - I've cooked so many nice things from that website! Not everything is SW friendly so tweaking of recipes is required. ;) But the end results are very much worth it.

Btw if you ever see a copy of Appetite for Reduction in a book shop have a look at it - it has some gorgeous tofu recipes and everything is low fat and mainly SW friendly, just omit the oil ;) x
Thanks for the tips.I've book marked the site :) Most of the food I eat I get the recipes off the internet and change to make SW friendly. I'm not one for eating the same thing all the time and the more I can make myself the better. Having just turned vegan I'm trying to get to grips with tofu, tried the silken tofu and didn't like the texture at all, I'm hoping that the firm well pressed will be better.
Just found that book in kindle form so will purchase it next pay day. x

Thanks for the tips.I've book marked the site :) Most of the food I eat I get the recipes off the internet and change to make SW friendly. I'm not one for eating the same thing all the time and the more I can make myself the better. Having just turned vegan I'm trying to get to grips with tofu, tried the silken tofu and didn't like the texture at all, I'm hoping that the firm well pressed will be better.
Just found that book in kindle form so will purchase it next pay day. x

I'm not a fan of silken tofu either, I usual buy cauldron plain tofu and it presses very nicely and tastes great when flavoured well. There're a recipe for lasagne in the book which uses baked cauliflower and tofu to make a sort of ricotta-ish cheese topping and it's absolutely lovely!

Hope you enjoy the book :) x

Back