gums and teeth

Discussion in 'Lighter Life Forum' started by Dancing, 5 October 2007 Social URL.

1. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

I read a comment by Heaven can wait that her caps have been falling off!!! Nooooooo! :eek:I have 6 of the things and 4 of them are at the front of my mouth!!!

I could put up with the saggy skin, the loss of hair, etc. etc. but the thought of having to pay out for new caps (I don't do nhs as I've never had a good experience, and some dreadful ones) and to go through having that gunk in my mouth that makes me gag (when they take the impression) - - is just awful.

Wish I hadn't read that and been blissfully ignorant (although it had been niggling away at the back of my mind - hadn't heard anything before this but was a little concerned due to lack of gum stimulation).

Heaven can wait - did you floss regularly while on abstinance?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. iceycold

iceycold Full Member

Diet:
    Lighter Life
    Hi,
    I've been watching this thread hoping we would have some dental nurses, or something on here I've been hoping someone knowledgable would reply to you. Sorry that's not going to be me.
    I have noticed just in the last couple of weeks that my gums bleed a little when I brush my teeth, they also started bleeding, at the bottom front, after I ate my first cranberry bar. I waited patiently after reading all about the bars, and having had that one, which is probably the hardest thing I've chewed in the last 22 weeks or so, I won't be having another and am taking them back tonight.

4. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

icycold - at least you have bumped it back up to the top of the threads!

I had bleeding gums the first week of LL but then started flossing (admittedly not every day) and don't get them now. I think it is to be expected that if you haven't flossed and then eat something like the bars that stimulate and put pressure on the gums, that there will be bleeding (personally I'd persevere with the bars because it is good for the gums to be stressed like that - esp if you aren't flossing).

If you are flossing, then maybe you need mouth wash??

......... i'm not a mouth expert hence me having to ask about caps but I'd recommend both of the above if you haven't already.

........... perhaps Heaven Can Wait will see this post soon and provide some more info

5. slushy

slushy Silver Member

Start Weight:
    12st12lb
    Current Weight:
    12st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st8lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    Hi all
    I am an ex dental nurse

the isues that can cause probs for your gums on an all or almost all liquid diet is that your gums get no stimulation
    brushing more often than usual helps and IF USED SAFELY AND PROPERLY interdental sticks will help but DONT go and buy them then poke about between your teeth and do damage - dont force them into gaps they wont go AN BE GENTLE
    personally i would say that chewing sugar free gum just say twice a day would help too BUT i know that for some this leads to cravings and tummy rumbles/hunger
    if youre on bars or 790 or something where you are getting some solid food then you really shouldnt have issues if you have good dental hygeine - the nutrients in our meal relacements are fab and wont cause a problem in your gums - lack of stmulaton can do -
    the combination of both of the above COULD however bring to your attention problems that had been lurking before you started the diet

i wont argue wuth what anyones dentist tells them but the only thing that will make a crown ( cap ) come lose is the cement that holds it in weakening - and that can just happen over time though if the cap was a gd fit to start with they can often stay in place on their own

6. iceycold

iceycold Full Member

Diet:
    Lighter Life
    Thanks, for that, I am flossing, and have spent a fortune on mouth wash from day 1 of this as the LLC said the diet could cause bad breath or ketosis or something. Will try the inter dental sticks, not heard of them before.
    Thank you.

7. slushy

slushy Silver Member

Start Weight:
    12st12lb
    Current Weight:
    12st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st8lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    this sounds weird BUT also just massageing your gums with a dry flannel wrapped round a finger once or twice a day will help
    your gums just miss the stmulation from chewing so anything that massages or rubs them will help
    if you persist with the cranberry bars they are stimulation too

iceycold likes this.
  8. iceycold

iceycold Full Member

Diet:
    Lighter Life
    Thanks again slushy

9. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

phew. Thanks for that feedback slushy. Relieved to know that it won't be the diet that contributes to the loss of my caps (but realise they will probably need replacing one day - just hopefully not all at once).

like the tip about massaging the gums too!

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.