Gym Advice?

Jenna88

Gold Member
Really sorry if there's already a thread discussing this issue but the search function either doesn't work or else I am completely incapable of using it!

I joined the gym last week and have been 4 times since. Whilst I feel much better for attending the gym I definitely do NOT know what I'm doing.

I tend to go in and spend 20 minutes on the treadmill, mixing a fast walk with 2 short jogs. Then after that it's pot luck. Today for instance I did the treadmill, then 5 minutes on the rowing machine (1000m) then I did 30 chest presses at 15kg, 5 minutes on the exercise bike (reclined), 24 reps on some leg weight machine that hurts the front of your thighs like hell and finished with 5 minutes on some machine where it's like you're swimming by pushing the handles round. When I reread what I've done I realise it's not a lot and I'm pretty sure I should have done some more cardio today but it seemed to be filled with OAP's who were much speedier at taking the machines that I would have liked lol!

I don't know what I'm achieving by doing these things? Is there a set pattern that I should follow?
Basically I want to shift this last half stone and tone up. My stomach in particular is flabby, which I know when I look at what I'm doing is unlikely to change from these exercises and I'd need to start using some abdominal machine that I've seen other people on but can never get to it before them grrr! I also want to tone my upper arms. These are the two areas that I'm most unhappy with.

Basically, in short, what I'm asking is...

1. Any advice for a newbie at the gym?
2. Is there a pattern that you would follow? Amount of time that I should aim for?
3. Realistically how many calories should I be burning in a 50 minute-1hr session?
4. What machines (you may need to describe them as I have NO idea what they're called) would you recommend to tone tums and upper arms?
5. Any general gym/fitness advice?

Tia!x

Hi Hun.

Is there nobody at your gym that's discussed this with you and set you some sort of programme?

Surely that's part of your membership?

Chances are that the answers to your questions will be different for everyone, I really don't think it's a one size fits all, and if you tell an instructor what you want to achieve they should be able to talk you through some equipment and also work out what resistance you should be programming.

I also know that sometimes what we increase is different depending on end goals (resistance, calls burnt, distance, time etc).

Sorry that wasn't much of an answer but I really think you should be getting them as part of your paid membership xx

Hey,
Yes, other people have said that too and they give you a peg that they will put a programme on for you to follow but the girl who did the induction wasn't overly helpful. She gave us a 10 min walk around, showed us how to work the easy machines instead of the trickier looking things, which me being me, I'm obviously too scared to try now for fear of looking like an idiot who doesn't know how to work them lol. The thing with the programme for the peg, the girl seemed quite adamant that we shouldn't get a programme for about a month as we need to 'find our feet' and what we liked :S

Tbh I know what you're saying is right and I need to just bite the bullet and ask them for advice, I however am one of these people who would much rather communicate by email/message than face to face. Especially in a fitness environment where I feel 'silly' as it is haha!

Thank you for your help :)

Jenna88 said:
Hey,
Yes, other people have said that too and they give you a peg that they will put a programme on for you to follow but the girl who did the induction wasn't overly helpful. She gave us a 10 min walk around, showed us how to work the easy machines instead of the trickier looking things, which me being me, I'm obviously too scared to try now for fear of looking like an idiot who doesn't know how to work them lol. The thing with the programme for the peg, the girl seemed quite adamant that we shouldn't get a programme for about a month as we need to 'find our feet' and what we liked :S

Tbh I know what you're saying is right and I need to just bite the bullet and ask them for advice, I however am one of these people who would much rather communicate by email/message than face to face. Especially in a fitness environment where I feel 'silly' as it is haha!

Thank you for your help :)

Oh am not sure about the "find your feet by yourself" aspect. It's not difficult working the gym machines but i would have thought the induction should have been one to one so that the instructor can show you how to have the correct form and posture as that's the most important part of doing the exercises, both to prevent injury and to ensure you are working your muscles appropriately. I'd go back and ask for an earlier appointment to make a programme so you get the best out of it. It can be intimidating in these environments when it looks like everyone knows what they are doing and I find it hard to be assertive in these kind of places but you're paying your money to them they should be looking after you properly. Sorry, that's not a reply to your initial post about whether you are doing the right exercises.

What gym is it?

I go to Puregym and on their website they have suggested programmes for toning/weight loss/ fitness with three levels.
I modify some of the stuff I know I shouldn't/couldn't do (walking lunges are a no mo for me as I have balance problems, and others my weight won't let me do).

I tend to do 25minutes rolling hills programme on the treadmill, 2x12 reps shoulder press, chest press, seated row, crunches. Then 10 mins cycling at 85-100 rpm x

Angiecarnegie said:
I have a running machine and cross trainer at home ........ Do you think the gym is more motivational?

Do you use it?
Most of the time we need something to aim for, when I started C25K I was motivated and enjoying it but when my knee stopped me running I felt lost. Perhaps at home, make some goals, and a visual aid, like a progress chart to look at and see how far you've come!

The best thing I had for Christmas last year was a page a day diary, so I fill in food planned and exercise planned then food eaten and exercise done!

when i first joined the gym, my plan was, 20 mins crosstrainer, 20 mins treadmill, 10 mins bike and then 10 mins rower.. on a 'comfy' level.. when i found it easy i up'ed the level.

i do think you should have been given an instructer or someone you can go to for advice (with my membership i get that for free as standard) every other month i sit down with her (yes, i have a female trainer and she's lovely, unless she's working me to death.. when i can't breath i tell her i hate her and then say thank you trying not to dry heave lol) in the monthly meeting she takes measurements, bmi, weight, height etc.. and then we look at my workout plan, most of the time it's just increasing the levels or the amount of time i stay one the machines/weights.

i think getting confident with the machines is a must, but you should be able to go to someone, just for advice.. no matter how shy go and ask.. thats what your paying for.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

I went today after work but naturally it was busy and not wanting to be annoying/in people's way I just did my own thing however I'm off tomorrow so will be going in the morning when the crowd levels are low and will ask some questions. Think ill take baby steps and get them to explain some of the bingo wing fighting machines work...all the scary men work in that corner so I need an instructor to hold my hand before I dare go near it!
Thanks again x

Back