Gym Clinic

cah-ching

Gold Member
I'm desperate to run, but my knee is hurting when I do. I've a five - k to train for and I'm annoyed my body won't let me train. What to do?

Hi, okay first off, have you had your knee checked out by a doctor or is there any thing you've specifically done to injure it?
How long do you have to train before your 5k run? -
If you have abit of time you can do some rehabilitation exercises just to strengthen your knee which will cause less pain. If you can get down the gym and train on a cross-trainer instead of a treadmill or road running then that would also help you train, causing less impact on your knee.
-Nikki

I haven't been to the docs as it's not a constant pain, it only occurs when I exercise; specifically when I do running, skipping and squats :( :cry:. If I go to the docs he'll say I need to lose weight :rolleyes:.

I do about 3 miles run/walk - should I aim for that distance on the cross trainer?

Also what are the rehabilitation the exercises that I should do to strengthen my knees?

I go swimming every Sunday ... and do about 20-30 lengths.

My run is in July ....

Thanks - CC. :)

Okay so from what you've said I'm guessing its just from impact you get the pain. If you try and do exercise which involves less impact that would help alot.

3 miles/ run/walk -> yes aim for this or higher on the cross-trainer, you'll find it shouldn't hurt your knee like the treadmill does.
I've put a link on for good rehabilitation exericses, concentrate alot on step ups as these are very good.
Knee Rehabilitation Exercises (any questions on that just ask me :) ) Swimming is also a good rehabilitation exercise so it's good you're already doing that.

Good luck, any more questions feel free to ask. Nikki.

Thanks Nikki - CC x

Nikki,

I'm looking to start training again now that I'm back from holiday. I've this pain in my right foot (on the top not the sole), it seems to be easing a lot now, but I did do an awful lot of walking in New York.

Thinking of just doing 5km on the X trainer 3 times per week until I lose a few pounds and I'm fitter and the pain is completely gone. Will do 1000 metres on the rowing machine mix it up a little.

What do you think?

Hey CC,
hope you had a good holiday.
Yeah that all sounds totally fine, it shouldn't affect your injury either which is good.
Maybe try and go a further distance each week, say go to 6km every session on the cross trainer. (on the 2nd week of training)

Hope it goes well,

Nikki.

Hey CC,
hope you had a good holiday.
Yeah that all sounds totally fine, it shouldn't affect your injury either which is good.
Maybe try and go a further distance each week, say go to 6km every session on the cross trainer. (on the 2nd week of training)

Hope it goes well,

Nikki.

Thanks!! Really chuffed you're still hanging around to give good advice!! :)

Back