gym makes it worse??

Jess<3

Journey to 10 stone loss
ok so on several occasions ive started up in the gym, not doing loads but enough. when i do i just gain an gain. first 3 weeks i did. then another time first 2 weeks i did an recently another 3weeks of awful gains and it doesnt even out for good losses afterwrds. so i stop with the gym as it upsets me an then i loose good amounts! ?? SO puzzling an i hate it as when i do struggle to loose weight i want to be able to use the gym or more often to help. but for me i gain :(

Exercise can make you gain a bit in the first few weeks due to water retention etc but overall it will give you a much better shape....and eventually your body will start losing again x

oh no with this i didnt treat myself i stuck to plan. drank alittle more water but not loads... usually use treadmill, cross trainer, bike an sometimes rower.

yeah i do gym before tea so then i shower then cook tea. so yes im hungry but its what id be eating anyway :)

Yeah i have had alot of muscle waste in my legs from an accident an been erm immobile (correct word?)

Jess<3 said:
yeah i do gym before tea so then i shower then cook tea. so yes im hungry but its what id be eating anyway :)

Yeah i have had alot of muscle waste in my legs from an accident an been erm immobile (correct word?)

I was the same for the first 4 weeks of doing the couch 2 5k programme then the losses started to show , however I really did lose inches and in the same period I only lost 0.5lb I lost 2 inches from calves, 1 inch from arms and thighs, 2 inches from hips and waist... Did you ever measure yourself ? X

no i never measured myself. think i will next time, but dont want to do it as i know il gain :(

Jess<3 said:
no i never measured myself. think i will next time, but dont want to do it as i know il gain :(

Maybe a question you have probably been asked time and time again, but did you drink enough fluids?

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

You say awful gains, how much are we talking? Exercise may, depending on the person, cause a small gain to start and possibly as you up your water intake, but certainly not drastically (I exercise like crazy 5 days per week and have never gained), so you might need to look closely at all the finer details. Don't let it put you off. Why don't you try exercising for a full 4 weeks, take your measurements and then look at it - it might surprise you xx

Drink drink drink your water! It's just fluid retention and your body will let go if you up your fluids. Ideally you should have 2 litres a day with no exercise, i would add another litre whilst your at the gym.

I drink 3 on non exercise days, 4 when i exercise, i love the suff though, started as a new years resolution in Jan 2011 to drink 1/2 a litre a day, i upped it gradually over the next year, it's been almost 2 years now and i have noticed the benefits.

I havent found exercise to be a hindrance to weight loss at all. I am currently doing a hard kettlebell series of exercises twice a week. The exercises are done aerobically and anaerobically style, if done with heavy weights are likely to build, and with lighter weights tone and only build where lacking. I also began c25k when i started slimming word and have ran three times a week since then, except for the last month due to illness.

I have lost weight every single week since i started...

When I started training for the rowing marathon (I'm doing it in Oct for the Changing Faces charity) I definitely saw my weight increase but my eating habits didn't change. It's one of the reasons Ive joined SW - to start pushing it in the other direction! But when I first lost a lot of weight I did it with plenty of running & that definitely helped the weight loss. Can't really explain it. But for me my body feels stronger (arms & legs definitely firmer with all the rowing) even without the charity event I'd stick with the rowing - it's definitely toning me up.

When I started training for the rowing marathon (I'm doing it in Oct for the Changing Faces charity) I definitely saw my weight increase but my eating habits didn't change. It's one of the reasons Ive joined SW - to start pushing it in the other direction! But when I first lost a lot of weight I did it with plenty of running & that definitely helped the weight loss. Can't really explain it. But for me my body feels stronger (arms & legs definitely firmer with all the rowing) even without the charity event I'd stick with the rowing - it's definitely toning me up.

Good luck for the marathon sounds amazing.

I'm joining a running club tonight and hoping to run a marathon in the future (don't want to set a date as not sure how long it will take to build up the strength and confidence) my mums a marathon runner so would be great to do one with her. She's doing the Amsterdam marathon in October (on her Birthday actually).

Back to topic though, I have found in the past sometimes exercise has made me gain a little the first week or so, or sometimes made me maintain, but the benefits outweigh this, I've always felt a lot better. I was doing the 30 day shred and the difference in my body after a week was amazing, but I started getting bad stomach pains so had to stop :( for the past 3 weeks I've been doing half an hour on the cross trainer and at least 100 crunches a day, hoping to tone up a bit and get ready to start running as well. I haven't noticed much of a difference and my boyfriend hasn't said anything yet, but I think there's a slight difference in my body and I'm feeling better in myself.
I did get my stomach pains yesterday when walking back from the shop, really hoping this doesn't effect my running... :(

my gains were 2-4lb each week x

Roughly 80% of a good exercise regime is what you put in your mouth, so might be an idea to see if your eating habits change whilst exercising (you never know, it could be something simple that you don't realise) - otherwise water may be the problem, so paradoxically you need to up your water intake to combat this. 2-4 pounds is a lot to gain so there may be a water retention issue?? xx

yeah i used to write what i ate down an there wasnt a change. Water is a big one for me, i may have about a few pints a day. i did notice water retention abit in my legs. as ive got 'bad' legs so doesnt help but an i could see the wobble of water alittle like when ive had surgery.
Just hate gaining when i work so hard at it :(

Hi Jesse

The water thing is counter intuitive but the more water you drink the less you will retain water. Our bodies have a larger percentage of water and we need it to function at our best. Studies have shown a decrease in exercise potential directly in line with an increase of dehydration.

Some people are more prone to water retention than others and this can be a sign of a sluggish lymphatic system. If you get a spongy feeling in your legs this can probably be reduced by:

1) investing in some manual lymphatic drainage massage
2) watching ( and reducing salt intake)
3) increasing water intake
4) increasing exercise

If an MLD massage treatment is out of the question ( like any treatment a course works best and aren't cheap) then invest in a body brush and start every morning with long sweeping strikes from the feet towards the heart.

There is a lot behind these suggestions but way too much for here. I am a therapist and teach MLD amongst other things so if you want more info let me know!

Good luck for the marathon sounds amazing.

I'm joining a running club tonight and hoping to run a marathon in the future (don't want to set a date as not sure how long it will take to build up the strength and confidence) my mums a marathon runner so would be great to do one with her. She's doing the Amsterdam marathon in October (on her Birthday actually)

Thank you :) I'm looking forward to it. Good luck to you with the running - I think running is much harder than rowing so hats off to you (& your mother).

Strengthening your stomach will help your core which is really important for running - but don't overdo it. When I was running more I found my stomach naturally got stronger just from the running action.

Thank you :) I'm looking forward to it. Good luck to you with the running - I think running is much harder than rowing so hats off to you (& your mother).

Strengthening your stomach will help your core which is really important for running - but don't overdo it. When I was running more I found my stomach naturally got stronger just from the running action.

Thank you, I have been doing crunches for the past few weeks as I really want to tone my stomach and although my stomach always needs toning I've always found when starting a new exercise regime my core is quite strong (no idea why as everything else has always been very weak)

I really enjoyed the running but glad they start you off slow, I managed the two minutes running, two minutes walking for half an hour but despite the fact I've been doing half an hour on the crosstrainer 5 days a week for the past 3 weeks I don't think I could have managed much more. I always forget how bad I am at running, but hopefully I'll build myself up as it is something I'd love to keep up.

good luck. I can manage about 40min on cross trainer, i tend to get bored though >:/ id love to do running but unable to, never mind!

I gain too and it's disheartening but you know what I went down a dress size with 4.5lb loss compared to 14-16 lbs without exercise!!!

Back