Hair Straightener advice please!

Discussion in 'Lighter Life Off Topic' started by Blonde Logic, 3 February 2009 Social URL.

1. Blonde Logic

Blonde Logic Yes. You can.

Start Weight:
    258lb
    Current Weight:
    228lb
    Goal Weight:
    168lb
    Lost(%):
    30lb(11.63%)
    Diet:
    cambridge
    OK - I am trying to come to grips with these new fangled ways of doing hair, and although my hair is stick straight, I understand I need hair straighteners...lol...seems odd.

Anyone got any favourites? Any tips on goof features to seek out, and ones to avoid?

I don't want to spend more then about 20-25 quid....i found a Remmington at Boots with triple protection something-or-other, quick heat, etc., for 22 quid - seems reasonable?

ANyway - thanks!!

BL - the truly inept when it comes to styling hair (though somewhat chuffed at yesterdays attempt :D) But definately in need of practice!!

xx

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. daisydoll

daisydoll Gold Member

Start Weight:
    12st6lb
    Current Weight:
    10st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    1st12lb(14.94%)
    Diet:
    was LL now diet chef
    hi
    in my experience i would pay as much as you can afford.

i have had lots of pairs in the past - but wouldn't now part with my ghds for anything!

i found cheaper ones damaged my hair and just didn't work as well.
    my daughter has herstyler ones which are good, but also quite expensive

sorry, not much help
    daisy x

4. Huseyin

Huseyin Silver Member

Start Weight:
    17st2.8lb
    Current Weight:
    17st2.8lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Lighter Life
    well i heard from my wife that the new GHD is the best as it does not destroy the hair and its ends.

So go for that but its dearer

5. Blonde Logic

Start Weight:
    258lb
    Current Weight:
    228lb
    Goal Weight:
    168lb
    Lost(%):
    30lb(11.63%)
    Diet:
    cambridge
    lol - I did have a chuckle seeing yuour name as the last post H. When pictuiring your avatar, I thought, "what could he possible know about hair straighteners!?" :giggle:

I have heard the ghd's are good.

Right now, I am on such a strict budget - its a bit if a dilema really because my hair is rather fragile - but all I can afford is about the 20-25 range. I can then upgrade later.

Will have a look at the GHDs though - maybe I can entire my OH into an (very) early birthday pressie. lol

6. Tange

Tange Silver Member

Start Weight:
    16st2lb
    Current Weight:
    16st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    CD
    Another tip. Buy yourself Nioxin shampoo and conditioner its amazing stuff, my hair is so much fuller and bouncier since I started using it. Aparently it works on your hair follicles to make your hair grow at its optimum. alas also not cheap but I can highly recommend it.

7. Blonde Logic

Start Weight:
    258lb
    Current Weight:
    228lb
    Goal Weight:
    168lb
    Lost(%):
    30lb(11.63%)
    Diet:
    cambridge
    Thanks Tange - will put that on my list of luxury's for when times get better. :)

xx

8. louale

louale Silver Member

Diet:
    Lighter Life
    I have GHDs too, but they are soooo expensive, like £100+.

Well done on your new job BL!

Louale x

9. mommyB

mommyB love it

Start Weight:
    14st13lb
    Current Weight:
    14st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st6lb(2.87%)
    i have some carmen ones that i'm quite happy with, paid around £25 from argos. Heat up in 15 seconds, great when your are in a hurry like i always am

10. bekimo

bekimo Fighting Demons....

Diet:
    Cambridge
    Argos did have a clearance sale on. Dunno if it is still on or anything. But they have some really good ones reduced from 80-100 quid to 20-30!

Worth a try hun!

B x

PS: Lovin the new do hun. Fabulous!

11. Huseyin

Huseyin Silver Member

Start Weight:
    17st2.8lb
    Current Weight:
    17st2.8lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Lighter Life
    i used 20 - 25 and look what happened to me lol

12. krazykaz

krazykaz Full Member

Start Weight:
    18st0lb
    Current Weight:
    13st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    4st12lb(26.98%)
    Diet:
    Loads of exercise & healthy eating
    Hi there i have ghd's they are brilliant but expensive! for christmas i wanted to buy my twin girls their own straightners as i was sick of sharing or fighting over them lol. I didn't want to pay as much but still wanted decent ones for them as they both have beautiful thick long hair. Anyway i searched amazon and got them Babyliss pro 230 for £25 each! i didn't think they would be any good being so cheap but they are brilliant and to be honest both my girls hair seems in much better condition since using them, as being teenagers they are always straightening their hair. I've just had a look and they've only got used ones at the moment but there is some new at £36.95 very good value i'd say also i've seen them in Sainsburys and Superdrug.
    Hope this helps although i've gone on a bit lol x

13. mommyB

mommyB love it

Start Weight:
    14st13lb
    Current Weight:
    14st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st6lb(2.87%)
    :8855::8855:

14. Metal_Heart

Metal_Heart Member

The remmington straighteners work fine for my hair, and I have reallly thick and naturally curly hair.
    Just make sure you use heat protection products, because straightening will dry out or damage your hair otherwise.

15. annaphylactic

annaphylactic Guess who's back...?

Start Weight:
    16st10lb
    Current Weight:
    13st7.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    3st2.5lb(19.02%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    You definitely get what you pay for - I've bought 'cheapies' before and they really don't make much difference in comparison to pricier ones.

GHDs are ace - but if you are on a budget you can get a brand called 'Hair Tools' that are essentially the same, but cheaper!! An ex-hairdresser of mine used them in his salon, and let me into the secret that they are essentially the same as GHDs without the 'name'... so I've been using my Hair Tools for about 5 years now and they are still going strong!

These are mine: Hair Tools Thermo Straighteners

Always go for thermo-ceramic plates - they are less damaging on your hair... and coat/spritz your hair first using some kind of heat barrier spray.

Enjoy xx

16. Blonde Logic

Start Weight:
    258lb
    Current Weight:
    228lb
    Goal Weight:
    168lb
    Lost(%):
    30lb(11.63%)
    Diet:
    cambridge
  17. Blonde Logic

Start Weight:
    258lb
    Current Weight:
    228lb
    Goal Weight:
    168lb
    Lost(%):
    30lb(11.63%)
    Diet:
    cambridge
    argh! some are flat, and some are curved!!! Its all so confusing!!!

I want my ol' hippy hair back!!!! :D :D :D

18. Avatar

MiniMins.com Advert

19. Poppysparkle

Poppysparkle Silver Member

Start Weight:
    16st5lb
    Current Weight:
    12st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    3st6lb(20.96%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge SS
    LOL BL! You are now a high maintenance woman! You gotta love that!

My hairdresser uses GHD on me and I also bought a pair, but sold them soon after on Ebay - just didn't keep my hair straight for long!! Anyway, my absolutely complete and utter favourite hairdryer and straighteners are Bespoke Labs T3 ionic straightener and hair dryer. The hairdryer apparently dries your hair about 70% faster!! Although I do have really thick hair which has a curl in it, so I do need a lot more attention in that department!! Yours looks a lot less thick than mine, and as it's straight already it won't need as much work.

I use the Nicky Clarke shampoo and love it, so the hair straightener may be fine for you. I actually used to use the Remington Wet to Dry straightener and this was also pretty good, but not a patch on my T3 (or GHD for that matter). I think they also damaged my hair a lot more than the T3 ones.

I absolutely agree with Anna, spend what you can afford - and I've used the hair tools ones too, and they are fine.

Anyway, if you do invest in some of the recommended ones, you'll have far less bad hair days if you are anything like me, so worth every penny!! And your hair looks fab at the moment, so you are worth it!

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.