Half the person I used to be....a long but worthwhile journey to success!

Alex_1978

Gold Member
Well I wasn't really sure where to post this....I've been using a mixture of VLCD products for over a year now, but I rarerly post on the forums (I lurk dozens of times a day though!). I did want to post my story though, just to give hope to anyone who's starting, and to prove that it really can be done - and given that I started my VLCD with Exante, I thought I'd post it here first!

So where do I start? I joined Minis back in January 2010, at around 18st 12lbs, but the reality is that I'd already been dieting for the previous 9 years, repeatedly losing and gaining large amounts of weight, but never getting anywhere close to where I wanted to be.

My original start weight back in 2001 was 20st 11lbs....I'd never dieted before, and didn't really want to in all honesty (despite being deeply unhappy about my size) but I agreed to support my mum by joining a local Slimming World class with her... given that I didn't really want to diet as such, I took their 'free food' policy at its word, and ate mountains of slimming world friendly food. Luckily, the weight started dropping off, and I eventually lost 5st 10lbs with Slimming World, taking me to roughly 15 st 1lb.
Unfortunately, that's where my yo-yo relationship with food/dieting began...something 'snapped', causing me to go off the rails, and I learned that I have an inbuilt self-destruct button that enables me to block out all the consequences of overeating from my mind, and go on food 'benders' lasting months, and causing stones worth of damage....

I won't bore you with all the details, but over the course of the past 11 years I've done Slimming World, Calorie Counting, Xenical, Reductil, Weight Watchers, and finally a VLCD....Exante to begin with, but I also use(d) products from Slim and Save amongst others.
I started this part of my journey in September 2011 with my boyfriend (AKA The Man) weighing 17st 2.5....he was attracted to a VLCD because he wanted to lose weight quickly, and didn't have the food knowldge/interest to start counting calories or to join a slimming club. I just wanted to shift myself out of the 15-17 stone bracket that I'd been inhabiting for what seemed like an eternity.
We both planned to do the diet strictly until Christmas 2011, but that would be as long as we thought we could manage....Famous last words, because here I am, over a year on! We both lost a lot of weight in our first week, and more than we ever expected to by Christmas. It was hard saying no to so many social occasions, but doing the plan together made it easier.
Since Christmas we've taken a slightly more scenic route, allowing ourselves breaks for holidays, birthdays, weekends away etc. but the majority of the time we've been sticking to our daily routine rigidly (mine does include other foods such as vegetables, protein and fish - more in line with the S&S plan really)

Like I said earlier, my original plan was just to get into the low 15s before Christmas 2011 and then go back to WW or whatever....but when I acheived and surpassed that, I decided that I would carry on this year and get down to my lowest weight of 12st 7lbs (which I did using Xenical in roughly 2007). And then when I acheived and surpassed that goal too, I eventually decided upon 10st 5lbs as my ultimate goal....
I wasn't sure if it was even do-able as I'd never been anywhere near that light, but it just seemed a good weight to aim for, as it would be half my original body weight...pretty mind blowing really.

But slowly and surely, I've got here somehow! It hasn't been an easy ride....I've battled with my tendency to binge when I'm off-plan, and I've also had periods of feeling afraid of food and deviating from the plan. As you can tell from reading my diary I'm a bit of a 'thinker', and I do tend to over-analyse myself and my behaviour around food. Maybe I need to do that though, I can't take the risk of pressing that self-destruct button ever again... so I need to think things though, to understand myself properly and to develop strategies so I NEVER have to do this again!

So onto the positive stuff....how does it feel to be a goal??? Absolutely AMAZING!!! My body may not be perfect...I have stubborn pockets of fat, and lots of loose skin, and yes, I'd love surgery at some point. But for now they are my battle scars, and a reminder of my journey to where I am now.

For anyone who's interested, I'll post some before and after pictures in a minute. I'll also post a link to my diary in the Exante section, where I posted an entry recently about the day I got to goal and how it felt....
I know this has been a VERY long post, but it's been a very long journey so it's kinda hard to sum up in a few lines!
I just hope that my story gives hope to anyone who's struggling, or yo-yoing, or re-starting, that you CAN do this. It may have taken me years to do, but that is the only regret I have....I just wish I'd got on with it 10 years ago ;)
Thanks for reading
x x x

http://www.minimins.com/exante-diaries/233202-double-trouble-exante-duo-30.html

Before Pics from 2001, weighing 20st 11lbs

Fat me 1.jpgIMAG0969.jpgFat me 2.jpg

Pics at the beginning of Exante...weighing 17st 2.5

IMAG0297.jpgIMAG0300.jpg

Omg - well done you look amazing !!!! You look fab !!!!

Just... Wow! That is amazing, congratulations on your achievement! And thank you for sharing on this forum, it's wonderful to read something so positive :)

Alex you look wonderful, what an achievement and inspiration you are to us all. Thank you for posting your story it really helps us newbies who are finding it hard to stay on track and think of the possibilities that we can also achieve xx :) .:p .:rolleyes: .

OOHMG that is soo amazing well done and congratulations on your weight loss journey you are an inspiration after having a look at your pics i really want to stick to the diet 100% till my gal weight thank you for sharing

Wow I love the pic with the giant trousers!!! lol xx

You look AMAZING!!!!!!!!! well done!!!
Really hope i can be as motivated and dedicated as u xx

Thank you for posting this. I could post a similar story except I am nowhere near as far along the "final results" section as you are, I just hope I can achieve your success as you have. You should be very proud of yourself.

Warmest congratulations. You are amazing, well done
GSQ. Still lurking on this site too!

Just popping in to say a BIG thank you for all your lovely comments. I guess above anything else, I am proof that it can be done, not matter what your diet history is like, or how many times you've tried and failed, it really is acheivable. I suppose I never really dared believe that it could be me, that I would find that inner strength to finally get the job done, but I suppose I just found that right diet at the right time in my life, and I had the right support (in 'real life' and Minis) to help me do it.
And part of it I think was stubbornness, I knew that this diet was extreme and that people had their doubts, but in some ways I became a bit militant about sticking to my plan (except for my well documented planned breaks), and people got used to me turning invitations down and putting myself first. It's been hard but the results have been well and truly worth it! I may not have a body that I'm 100% happy with, but just to feel that sense of acheivement makes it all worthwhile! :D

I'm now two weeks into 'maintenence/buffer mode' and another 4lbs down, so I'm starting to relax a bit about the fact that it's not going to start piling back on again. I'm still only on 750-850 cals, but not in ketosis anymore as I'm on roughly 100g of carbs. I'm planning two more weeks of this (with slight calorie increases) then transitioning to JUDD/Intermittent Fasting for Christmas. This scares the hell out of me, but I see it as the only solution to get around all the social stuff without becoming a jibbering wreck about the potential weight gain! :eek:

I'll keep you posted!
x

OMG Alex you look amazing.....you're so tiny now! I bet you feel on top of the world now you're at goal!

Good luck with maintenance, let us know how you get on.

Thank you :) I don't know about tiny though...I have a lot of loose skin and stubbon fat pockets so everything still feels very wobbly at the moment! (except when I'm in my magic knickers ;))

Maintenence is still going well....I'm still very tentative and probably spending FAR too much time thinking about it, but hopefully after Christmas I'll chill a little (assuming I don't have a massive gain to deal with!).
My other news is for the past few days I've been seeing a '9' on the scales! I was probably last in single figures when I was about 10 years old, so that's blowing my mind a little! I'm not getting too comfy here though, since this is supposed to be my Christmas buffer, but it's getting to be a nice enough buffer to be able to enjoy the odd slice of yule log without too many worries :D

Off to Cheshire Oaks to try to finish my Christmas shopping today! Going to treat myself to lunch and a coffee in Costa (yes, I'm still at the stage where that feels like a massive novelty!).

Love to you all x

Thank you so much for this post. You are such an inspiration! I have been away and off the plan for a couple of months. About to re start properly tomorrow and this was just the motivation I needed. You look absolutely amazing! It's given me the kick up the back side I needed to get shifting the fat again. Thanks hun xx

This is an amzing story ? Can i ask you what u did when u was finding it hard and what motivated you ?

Of course you can :) But I must admit, I struggled to think of the answer!
I think my main strategy for sticking to plan was to focus on what would happen if I gave up...firstly I knew that no matter how hard I was finding it, the alternative would result in a gain, which would take me further away from where I wanted to be. I know I had planned breaks but it's a case of weighing up whether coming off plan is worth setting yourself back for. After all, every day on plan is a day closer to goal, and every cheat day will tag extra time on at the end.
There were times when this diet had me in tears, just because sometimes it's so hard to constantly say no to things, constantly feel deprived etc. Especially when I'd have a disappointment at weigh in, I'd always think 'what's the point?' and I'd feel like giving up...but then I'd remind myself that giving up would mean a gain (even by switching to calorie counting or WW because I'd be coming out of ketosis). And so I didn't see a choice other than plodding on!
Another tactic I used was to set myself mini targets along the way (BMI, next stone down, total weight loss, clothes size etc). I think approaching milestones made me more driven in the run up to reaching them...and then I'd think of another to focus on.

I did all the other suggested things too...lots of baths, had my nails done, went shopping....just tried to treat myself without always using food. It's very hard to do, but I think it'll make me more conscious now I'm at goal of not always using food as a reward/treat/comfort...

Anyway, think I've rambled enough now, but do ask anything you like. I'm pretty much an open book on here!
X x

Back