harrissa powder

louisedan

Gold Member
Does anyone know where to find it-I can only find paste? I know its low on syns but I feel like I,m wasting them on a spice

I have searched everywhere looking for this stuff, I gave up but found this on the internet, you would leave out the oil & not reconstitute the dried chillies:
Harissa Recipe- Northern Africa

This spice blend is traditionally used to flavor couscous. It is a very hot chili paste. This recipe can also be served as a spread along with bread or tossed with pasta, rice or steamed vegetables. It can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. A milder version of this paste can be made by using sun dried tomatoes in place of the dried chilies and adding 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes.
Ingredients:
  • <LI style="COLOR: black; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>1/4 cup dried chilies <LI style="COLOR: black; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>4 cloves garlic <LI style="COLOR: black; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>1 teaspoon caraway seeds <LI style="COLOR: black; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>1 teaspoon cumin <LI style="COLOR: black; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>1 teaspoon coriander seeds <LI style="COLOR: black; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>2 teaspoons dried mint leaves or 2 tablespoons of fresh
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
Directions:
  1. <LI style="COLOR: black; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo2" class=MsoNormal>Reconstitute the dried chilies by covering them with boiling water and letting them soak for 30 minutes. <LI style="COLOR: black; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo2" class=MsoNormal>Drain off and discard the liquid and squeeze out any excess moisture.
  2. Grind the reconstituted chilies and all the remaining ingredients to a paste using a mortar and pestle, blender or food processor.

Bart Spices Ltd Harissa Paste 1 level tbsp

extraeasy.gif
½ Syn on Extra Easy
red.gif
Original ½ Syn
green.gif
Green ½ Syn

You're not likely to use large amounts in a recipe so when divided between portions the syns will be neglible so I count it as free.

Back